Fun Engineer

Enclosed trailer flooring options

WHX??
1 hour ago, wh500special said:

And they mix it in 16 colors

Including RED!

shallowwatersailor

Dave, have you considered a solid deck stain? I did my utility trailer with this, and added the non-skid additive that you mix in. After two coats it had a texture like you might be looking for.

Shynon
11 hours ago, Fun Engineer said:

That looks good Tom. Did you have to use the narrow roller they provide or did you use something else? Seems like that would take forever. And were you able to adjust the amount of texture via the roller or is it just one texture? I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Dave

Dave

If I remember correctly I used the roller they supplied(2 per gallon) because the roller is a foam plastic and I was worried about other rollers falling apart or sticking in the coating. I bought some cheap paint brushes for the seams around the edge.  You really can't adjust the texture, There are larger chunks in it. The first coat goes on very light, you can see the substrate, but will have some large chunks in. The second coat is the one that covers all, they have to be done with a certain amount of time in between. I think I did mine over 2 days right after I brought the trailer home.

• Like 1

WHX??

Are you saying you did two coats on a 7x16 with two gallons then?

Thats not a bad idea John, the deck stain with the texture.... I would never do it with a  open deck the luck I have had with the sun fade.....but enclosed?? :think:

Fun Engineer

I looked at the solid deck stain yesterday John.  I'm concerned about oil and gas staining or absorption. Thanks for the info and pictures Shynon.   Also checked the local Lowes for their Rock Solid Epoxy.  About the same price as Epoxy-Coat.  Still looking into the truck bed liner.  Found a couple of products but the process of spraying would probably take 5 years off my life so I need to find something safer.

WHX??

No regrets in doing your homework first Dave ... might be a bear to redo if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

limited12

Picked up the trailer today, I think I'm going to go with the herculiner, I went ahead and got the ceiling material to in stall after I run some more lights, thinking I'm going to paint the walls white also.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Racinbob

Nice trailer Tommy. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done. :)

Shynon

Tommy

When I put my herculiner in I went and put it to the top of the bottom trim strip, thus sealing in the seam of the main floor. Also not sure if you are, but I put foam insulation in the ceiling, as I camp in mine I was hoping to quiet the rain.  I installed my e-track about 5-6" from the edge, because I tie tractors down by the  tires. Very nice looking trailer:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Shynon

WHX??

Nice Tommy...just picked up mine yesterday too. Looks like you gto a matching spare too:handgestures-thumbupright:

limited12
10 hours ago, Shynon said:

Tommy

When I put my herculiner in I went and put it to the top of the bottom trim strip, thus sealing in the seam of the main floor. Also not sure if you are, but I put foam insulation in the ceiling, as I camp in mine I was hoping to quiet the rain.  I installed my e-track about 5-6" from the edge, because I tie tractors down by the  tires. Very nice looking trailer:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think about the insulation, great ideal. The dealer had installed the etrack and he has 1' from the wall.

WHX??

Here's a pic of mine. Picked up two gallon of Herculiner at Fleet Farm 65 a kit minus a 20 per kit rebate. Hope to get it down this week. Then a wheel chock in the front for the bike & some e track.1462745799969-1247929549.jpg

• Like 5

limited12

Nice looking trailer Jim, what kind of wheel chock are you planing on using. Please let us see some pics when you are done 

• Like 1

WHX??

Will do Tommy, not sure on the chock yet. I know I would like one that locks up when you ride into it but they might be pricey or may just get the satisfaction of making my own simple with c channel and angle iron.

WHX??

Ok so here is how it came out...same as Tom"s :lol:

It is very rough and non skid so if you want a smooth surface this is not for you.  You could dump a quart of oil on the floor and not be slippery so handling a 1000 lb motorcycle in it should not be a problem. No big problems with applying it either. Just make sure you wear gloves this stuff does not come off your hands.  The book says two coats one right after the other and while the first coat is still tacky but because of time I had to wait a few days. Two coats is a must tho. I was going to lap up the side to the top of the bottom trim but it did not like to stick to the smooth surface of the trim. In fact it does not adere well to anything smooth. I got a little on the tailgate aluminum frame and it peeled right off. The wood floor, which was a smooth sanded osb/particle board, it is not coming off.  Now on to some e-track and a bike chock more on that later.

20160516_180955.jpg

20160516_181008.jpg

20160516_181018.jpg

20160516_181110.jpg

20160516_181126.jpg

Took the loading flap off to do it separate so as to get under the hinge sealed. ..just don't do it under a crabapple that decides to start droping flowers! Also get a mixer and stir well and often with the drill. The non skid, which I believe is just ground up used tire rubber, likes to sink to the bottom. Ya get down to the end of a can and it gets quite thick ...almost like black jack roof tar.

20160516_180841.jpg

20160516_180850.jpg

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 4

WHX??

First coat does go on hard and used more. 2nd coat a breeze. The kit did have a roller with two rough coat  sponges and a throw away brush but make sure you pick up a couple of extra brushes. Two gallon kits for a 7x14 and had about 1/4 of leftover... nuff to do some other stuff. It would work good on shovel handles or tractor running boards.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Looks great Jim and very practical and functional. I like. :)

• Like 1

Zeek

I did this remodel http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/40619-cargo-trailer-remodel-show-camping/#comment-369392

I would not recommend it.  Although I liked it at first, the constant expansion and contraction from temperature caused it to buckle in spots.  It cannot handle the temperature fluctuations. 

• Like 1

limited12

That looks good Jim, hope to do mine next week, seems like it rains everyday.

i like the way the finish turned out

1000 lb motorcycle... Must have a ultra classic?

i did go ahead and bought the condor wheel chock, little pricy but I like the way it locks in place and the quick connect hook up.

• Like 1

WHX??

You & me gonna get along real well Tommy....2011 limited, 103 motor, last bike I will ever buy cept for a trike when I can't stand up no more!:lol:

Really bizarre you should mention the condor as that's what I got coming..pics to follow once is gets here... 200 off flea bay with another 25 for the trailer mount ...oh and free ship!!! Plus I can use it in the shop for the choppers. Was just thinking the 30 dollar cheap chock but then my bro who could help me build one says "you gonna put a 20k bike in a 30 dollar mount!"

I say build me one yer the welder "got no time"...thanks bro gotta have it in five weeks. No can do....dogs pregnant....

Shynon
29 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

....2011 limited, 103 motor

Man am I behind 2006 glide with an 88

nbo067.jpg

• Like 1

Fun Engineer
On May 18, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Zeek said:

I did this remodel http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/40619-cargo-trailer-remodel-show-camping/#comment-369392

I would not recommend it.  Although I liked it at first, the constant expansion and contraction from temperature caused it to buckle in spots.  It cannot handle the temperature fluctuations. 

Thanks ZEEK. I was thinking about that at one point but decided against it. See you at the show??

Zeek
2 hours ago, Fun Engineer said:

Thanks ZEEK. I was thinking about that at one point but decided against it. See you at the show??

Yep, I'll be there Thursday to Saturday or maybe Sunday, depends on whether my wife is coming and I have to bring an RV or not.  Either way I'll have the trailer there and you can see what I mean.

If I do it over I'll probably do floating floor planks or paint.  I like it "homey" since I sleep in it, but I also like it to be oil/gas resistant and easy to sweep.  Personally I avoid textures because they are too hard to clean easily and nothing slips around in the trailer because it's tied down or strapped when in motion.  Depends on your personal preferences and use.  Like the others said said, watch the ramp door though, because that can be slippy as cat crap on wet grass when the are wet :confusion-seeingstars:.  Prior to the floor mine has now, I used deck stain and that worked fine as well, just wanted something nicer. 

• Like 1

WHX??

You got stones puttin a floor like that in a trailer Zeek, I can't even keep a floor like that on the strait & narrow in my house!! I do like your cabinets tho! :handgestures-thumbupleft:  I plan on keeping a small roll, say 7x10,  of some kind of carpet in mine. Maybe hang it up on bungees off to the side when hauling horses. Just roll it out then when it's time to camp. I don't think an air mattress would fare well on bed liner.  I did have a buddy who did black & white checker board ala racing style VCT on his trailer floor. Looked kinda cool till it got full of dirt & grass clippings but held up well.

WHX??

Chock came in yesterday - real nice surprise when I got home from work. Try it out tonite. Picked up a couple of 10' e track and get that down this weekend. Going to mount them more outboard than yours Tommy. I like the way Shynon ties his horses down.

20160519_191045[1].jpg

20160519_200705[1].jpg

20150826_140755_thumb_jpg_5d1685aa93296bc767696f45058eea00.jpg

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 1