Fun Engineer

Enclosed trailer flooring options

Fun Engineer

So I have an enclosed trailer that serves as storage, transportation and my living quarters at shows. We call her our Tramper.

I'm trying to decide what type of flooring to install over the plywood subfloor. 

I'd like to know what others are using or have seen in use for this type of trailer, what works and what doesn't.

Here's what I'm considering:

1  Rubber diamond embossed, one piece glue down.  Very thick.

2  Vinyl sheet goods, one piece glue down. Had this in a Jayco Toy Hauler but it showed tire marks.

3  "Epoxy-Coat" or similar brand. My garage floor is done with this epoxy  and we LOVE it. No tire marks but it can chip when you drop something on it.

4  Laminate, wood look.

I'm not considering individual VCT tile because I'm afraid that the plywood wood expand and contract causing the joints to separate. Don't know if this is a real or perceived concern. But this may be the cheapest option.

I also need to figure out what I'm using on the ramp.  My Toy Hauler had a painted ramp with non-slip added and worked well.

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions? Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Shynon

I have herculiner roll on truck bed liner on my floor, took 2 gallons for a 16ft enclosed trailer. e track on the floor, mine is used for storage and camping at the shows. Rougher texture can be swept out, sometimes use a vacuum. Oil drips cleaned up with some orange cleaner. Best picture I have.

20150826_140755.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 7

stevebo

I would stay away from anything that is shinny as it is very slippery when wet, especially on the fold down door. At the show two years ago one of the kids lost his footing when the ramp was wet and hit his head really hard. I ended up repainting it with a sandy mix of paint and sand. IMO looks should not be chosen over safety.

• Like 6

Fun Engineer

Good idea shynon. We sell Duplicolor bed liner at work and have a Line x dealer in town. I have Line x in my truck and love it. Will have to look into that. 

Thats is a good suggestion Steve. I have a clear coat epoxy on top of my color and chips and added anti slip in the clear. Put down extra at the doors and space between the parked cars. Epoxy is slippery as goose stuff when wet. How is your floor holding up and do you remember what product you used?

• Like 1

WHX??

You got a few to many stuffed in there Tom... better not get caught over crowding horses...better come get a few from ya...:ROTF:

I did find my trailer I think Tom... he was just a tad higher than your man but by the time & gas to make the score it wouldda been the same & my guy threw in a brake controller. Nobody could beat Marvs  prices.... now Just gotta figure out a way to pay for IT.

Gonna do the bed liner & some e tracks

SANY3907.jpg

SANY39061.jpg

SANY39093.jpg

SANY39101.jpg

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Line X is a good product you just have to be careful when you load or unload stuff. My brother's pickup has a Line X liner, he was load a ladder and torn the line X . Not cheap to repair. I have the line X in the bed of the El Camino but I have a liner on top of it so the Line X will not tear.

limited12

I just purchased a 7x16 enclosed trailer, it will come with etrack also. I pick it up this week and was wandering the same thing, please keep us updated on what you use.

i will be using this the same way, storage and shows, plus sometimes hauling the motorcycle. I was looking into a vynil flooring but that I think that will tear overtime.

Thanks

Shynon

I put down my herculiner 1st then put down the e track. 2 years no marking or tears of any kind. Rough texture,not slippery,  also on the ramp gate.

WHX??

Throw up some pics when ya get a chance limited12. Big no on the vinyl :angry-nono: ..it will tear & gouge real easy not to mention slippery when wet or the scoots or tractors decide to pee oil on it. spend the little extra for a bedliner. Vinyl would be easier to clean but not worth it. I plan on unrolling a piece of carpet out if I have to camp in it.  

limited12
3 hours ago, Shynon said:

I put down my herculiner 1st then put down the e track. 2 years no marking or tears of any kind. Rough texture,not slippery,  also on the ramp gate.

I'm going to go with the herculiner, the e track is already installed in the trailer

1 hour ago, WHX61/3 said:

Throw up some pics when ya get a chance limited12. Big no on the vinyl :angry-nono: ..it will tear & gouge real easy not to mention slippery when wet or the scoots or tractors decide to pee oil on it. spend the little extra for a bedliner. Vinyl would be easier to clean but not worth it. I plan on unrolling a piece of carpet out if I have to camp in it.  

I will, hope to pick it up Wednesday, 

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Well Line X is out. My trailer is 7x12 and a 6x6 ramp. Are you sitting down?  $2000. 

Dealer said the biggest cost is prepping the trailer to protect it from overspray. 

Checked our Duplicolor Armor at work but thought it was too rough for my taste. Will have to see what other options are out there. 

WHX??

Holy Schmidt, thats alot....

I was just thinking of a couple gallon cans and rolling it on??

917HZvTG4LL__SL1500_.jpg

Or what do we know about this product?? http://www.eastwood.com/por15-oem-bed-liner-black-quart-49704.html?fee=7&fep=50488&SRCCODE=GA220010&adpos=1o1&creative=83580268260&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJbG_LOGvswCFQQbaQodykAF4g

p45713.jpg

I bought a rattle can of the duplicolor to do a suburban steering wheel but practiced on a shovel handle first and I didn't think it was rough enough?  Over spray did stick to the shop floor pretty good tho!

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I'm digging the bed liner thing. Like Jim, I did two steering wheels with rattle can Dupli-Color (the blue can, not the black can Armor). I love the results for a steering wheel but agree that it may not have enough texture for what you're looking for. They have gallon cans of it so rolled on it may have more texture. I love POR 15 products if $114/gallon doesn't scare you. I've seen a couple of beds done with Herculiner and it's durable with a nice texture. Lots of great options here. :)

• Like 2

Shynon

I believe there is quite a differencebetween spray can and roll on. I like the texture of the roll on. Trailed will be at the Big Show if you want to check it out.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'll be doing that. Not to mention rolling it on requires a lot less work protecting areas you don't want coated. :)

• Like 2

WHX??

Who do you think I got the idea Bob??? :bow-blue: Came out great too but should have spent a tad more time on prep work.  BTW did you see the price on the POR Bob??.... way less than their other products!

Racinbob

:lol: I don't know Jim, you may have done yours first. I was thinking the POR 15 was pretty high at $28.50 a quart but I just checked Herculiner. I did the underside of my mower deck with the POR 15 rust coating and I'm very happy with the way it's holding up and how it acts kinda like teflon. A pint of it was more than enough for a 42" deck. The heck of it is they say a gallon of POR 15 bed liner or one Herculiner kit does a 6 foot bed. It won't be cheap to do a trailer floor but it sure won't be 2 grand like Line X. Here's another one I just found but I'd guess it would be priced like Line X https://www.armorthane.com/

I see you latched on to a RJ at the show. Have you posted pictures of it? Is it in driving condition? I'll be picking up a 5kw Wheel Horse generator and I'm pretty excited about that. :banana-rock:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

WHX??

My bad ....slap head... I didn't quite read that that was for a quart...here I was thinkin that was for a gallon cause Tom said his took two... thats why.  Yes that armor stuff is going to priced like Line X and I would think it has to professionaly applied. Pretty much rules out us cheap @$$ horse thieves!!

Speaking of which ...yes got a nice 59 rj from squonk to be picked up at the show. No I haven't put up pics yet but here's a preview... oh yeah completely drivable if Mike don't smash it up between now and then. I saw the genny you got on the things wanted/ for sale thread...NICE!

Quick go look at my post in implements Bob and let me know if that cart is a deal...goona go make an offer in a bit...

56bbc20c01cd8_MollieBryant006_thumb_jpg_280097cd420863519585a06e43b1c20b.jpg

less the backrest Mike must have a bad back!!

might put tri ribs on the front to "make it my own" ....:lol:

Hope it doesn't make my sidewalk look like his:lol:

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Sweet!! I did see that cart. It looks to be in great shape. I don't think the price is out of line but if you can get it for less all the better. :)

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

I've looked at the Herculiner. I'm looking for a product with less texture like the spray on Duplicolor. It's similar to what side by side manufacturers are using on bumpers and rock bars. I used it to coat an aluminum tool box for my Polaris ranger and my headliner in the Johm Deere can. Both turned out nice. Probably the same product you guys have used on your steering wheels but spray bombs would cost an arm and leg. 

I just checked with Epoxy Coat and I can purchase a half garage kit, color, chips, clear and anti slip for under $300. I'm considering this option too but I think some type of bed liner will hold up the best and provide the slip resistance I need all while looking good for a long time. 

6 hours ago, Shynon said:

I believe there is quite a differencebetween spray can and roll on. I like the texture of the roll on. Trailed will be at the Big Show if you want to check it out.

Thanks Shynon but I hope to have it done before the Big Show. Any chance you can take a closeup of the texture on your trailer?

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 1

Shynon

Excuse the dirty floor still in storage mode.

IMG_5882.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

IMG_5884.JPG

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Have you checked out Rustoleum (SP) Deck Renew . I think that's what is called . Heavy duty stuff for refreshing out door decks. Can be smooth or rough surface. I saw the stuff at Lowe's. Not sure of the price but it came in gallons. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

WHX??
12 hours ago, Shynon said:

Excuse the dirty floor still in storage mode.

Nice flecks of RED dirt Tom

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

That looks good Tom. Did you have to use the narrow roller they provide or did you use something else? Seems like that would take forever. And were you able to adjust the amount of texture via the roller or is it just one texture? I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Dave

Edited by Fun Engineer

wh500special

I haven't used their products, but they get good reviews:  www.durabakcompany.com

I can't recall, but I priced out their stuff when I was considering a project and it seems like it was a pretty fair deal compared to Heculiner, etc.  And they mix it in 16 colors or something.  They sent me a sample of the gray with the texture added and I think it would be perfect for a floor of a trailer.

Steve