Robert2000996

Riding then died now won't crank

Robert2000996

I was riding my raider 10. Kohler in drive way running fine then it dies and now it won't even click when I try to crank over starter

prondzy

Battery dead??:think:

ericj

pto clutch not engaged ?

eric j

• Like 1

squonk

If it has an ammeter check that and the connections to it. Everything goes thru that first.

• Like 1

Tankman

How you making out? Horse runnin' :unsure:

tommyg

I'm guessing, perhaps, there is a fuse that blew. I had mine blow unexpectedly the other day. Had absolutely nothing in the way of power to anything. Replaced and it's been fine since.

953 nut

First take a look at the wiring diagram in this download; then clean and tighten all cable connections.

Robert2000996

Thanks y'all battery is dead now yes that I checked today but why did it run great for an hour . Sputter then die and now battery is dead  I know little bout these mowers but if it has a magneto doesn't that keep generation going and where are fuses I don't see any at all any where on raider 10

Cheetah

I know this much... The Kohlers have to have a charged battery to run. If the battery goes dead, so does the motor.

My guess is the motor isn't charging the battery while it's running, so look for a bad connection somewhere. Or maybe you have a bad regulator...

To double check, recharge the battery and see if the motor runs again....

• Like 1

pfrederi

Over their production cycle Electros, Chargers and Raiders seemed to have used all three ignition systems that Kohler had.  Battery/coil, Breakerless and Magneto/Points. The last two will run just fine with out a battery (assuming you can get them started...) The first one will not.

How old is your battery?   If  you get the battery recharged and get her started check the battery voltage while the tractor is running you should get 13.6 to about 14 volts,  if not then there is a problem in the charging system. 

• Like 2

Robert2000996

I wrapped a pull rope around shaft to pull start and wouldn't start charged battery and it fired what do I look into next

image.jpeg

This is what I got who can help me identify tractor and motor 

gwest_ca

That is a Kohler engine with battery ignition. The large white canister is the ignition coil and the small canister on the same bracket is the condenser. Points are on the other side down low and under a small tin cover.

If you get down and look up to the flat panel in front of the shifter and below the dash housing there should be an ID plate with the model number and serial number on it.

Garry

pfrederi

It started with the battery being charged up??? If it started and ran then you need to see if the charging system is working.  Otherwise the battery will go dead again and she will stop running. Do you have a multimeter??? (Voltage meter??)

Looking at the non factory mounting of the ignition coil and condenser i will go out on a limb and propose this engine was a originally a breakerless type but when some part failed a previous owner converted it to battery coil points system (the Breakerless ignition parts hugely expensive).

On the engine shroud below the white coil look for a Kohler data plate Find the Specification (Spec) number

Robert2000996

It was a bare wire

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Robert2000996 is this the tractor in your recent photo album uploads?  That thing is awesome!

Robert2000996

Yup it was my first horse years ago, finally got to restore her

• Like 1