newtowheel

Onan parts or good replacement engine

newtowheel

I have a onan twin cylinder D 160 1976 I believe it to be, I bought it recently unfortunately they left out the part of it missing a piston. Does anyone have any suggestions where to find a crank and piston or complete rebuild kit for this engine? I will post model and serial number later. Thanks for any and all input.

image.jpg

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Some wiser folks will pipe up shortly with direction for you on the engine. Those big "D's" are cool!

In the meantime - :text-welcomeconfetti:- and from the looks of her face in the picture you better get a move on... she wants a ride sooner rather than later!!!

:D

• Like 2

pacer

I'm not especially knowledgeable on the Onans but I can share some observations on them I have picked up on ...

They have some issues, one obviously is the one you have inherited! Did you notice 'chaff' buildup when you took the tin off? A not so well designed cooling system would suck up clippings and pack it around the fins causing overheat, causing catastrophic failure. Another glitch was/is the common failure of valve seats coming loose, sometime fixable and others.... And, IIRC parts are somewhat scarce and a bit pricey - of course this is also true with the big Kohler twins that are in the D tractors,

I would suggest gathering all the info that you can scratch up on the Onan and ponder on it carefully. Then I would suggest considering a replacement engine - The very best choice would be the alternate engine WH put in the D-160, the very tried and true Kohler K-341, a 16hp single cyl. Parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive --- IF you can find one!

If you are pretty good mechanically, then you can consider one of HF's Predator engines, there have been several swaps from members here on the forum....

Da** shame what a mess youve got into, those D's are quite a tractor (I've got 4 of em! - no Onans tho)

• Like 1

boomers_influence

new

most likely the crank can be cleaned/saved.

i may have the used parts that you need,

rod,piston, etc along with all gskts.

you will need to remove the GOOD rod and piston

to get the cast # from them.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7 S-S 12-6 cent time.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

• Like 3

newtowheel
9 hours ago, boomers_influence said:

new

most likely the crank can be cleaned/saved.

i may have the used parts that you need,

rod,piston, etc along with all gskts.

you will need to remove the GOOD rod and piston

to get the cast # from them.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7 S-S 12-6 cent time.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

Boomer as soon as I can get some time I will pull it apart and let you know all of the info thank you.

14 hours ago, pacer said:

I'm not especially knowledgeable on the Onans but I can share some observations on them I have picked up on ...

They have some issues, one obviously is the one you have inherited! Did you notice 'chaff' buildup when you took the tin off? A not so well designed cooling system would suck up clippings and pack it around the fins causing overheat, causing catastrophic failure. Another glitch was/is the common failure of valve seats coming loose, sometime fixable and others.... And, IIRC parts are somewhat scarce and a bit pricey - of course this is also true with the big Kohler twins that are in the D tractors,

I would suggest gathering all the info that you can scratch up on the Onan and ponder on it carefully. Then I would suggest considering a replacement engine - The very best choice would be the alternate engine WH put in the D-160, the very tried and true Kohler K-341, a 16hp single cyl. Parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive --- IF you can find one!

If you are pretty good mechanically, then you can consider one of HF's Predator engines, there have been several swaps from members here on the forum....

Da** shame what a mess youve got into, those D's are quite a tractor (I've got 4 of em! - no Onans tho)

As far as build up there was none it could be from them cleaning the motor  when they took the piston out though lol. I like the tractor shame you can't trust people anymore. The valves look like they are seated decently but I won't know for sure until I dig into it more. I'm hoping to save the originality of the old horse they are good ones for sure.

boomers_influence

new and club

99% of the time the # 2 rod breaking is caused

by NOT having enough oil in the pan.

thank you. boomer

• Like 1

newtowheel
On April 30, 2016 at 0:29 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Some wiser folks will pipe up shortly with direction for you on the engine. Those big "D's" are cool!

In the meantime - :text-welcomeconfetti:- and from the looks of her face in the picture you better get a move on... she wants a ride sooner rather than later!!!

:D

Yeah I know lol she loves taking rides.

Dhodge

Save the Onan and educate yourself as you rebuild it.

Dale520H

Cummins diesel owns Onan...last I talked to them I could buy a new engine for a 520 for 13 or 14 hundred...that was a long time ago though and the dead engine was a 90.