Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Hiller/Furrower

mailman

Hey guys,

I picked up this attachment. It's a new, never before been used, Sears Hiller/ Furrower.

I figured out how to put it together(no instructions).

However, it looks as though the pin tpye hitch, which has a small hole in it would drop into some type of hole and then a pin inserted in to keep it from moving back and forth.

My question is, (given that I have put it together correctly) what would you guys do to use or put together some type of female connecter for this to use on back of my tractor. I have a slot hitch, a clevis hitch and of course, the standard rear hitch.

some pics.......

001-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

jerrell

:hide: Eric that is a nice piece of equipment, gives me an ideal on something i am thinking of,, the easiest way to fix a hitch for that , is to find apiece of metal that fits in the slot hitch and weld it (top or bottome) directly to the tongue of the plow, might have to shape it to make it work right but bet it would work. looks good, great buy

Nick

Think I would go with the slot hitch also. Should be any easy hitch to add to the forrower. I wonder if you could drill a hole the size of that pin in a plate, then also clamp it to the furrower so no welding would be needed. :D

Jarrel, I saw some parts for those forrowers and maybe complete assemblies at

here in Ohio. If you was interested in some it might make me take a nice day trip up there. :hide:

WheelHorse_of_course

Is it too big to fit through the hole in the drawbar hitch? It looks to me that is what was intended. :D:hide:

Looks like it would be perfect for making beds. Very nice.

mailman

Rolf,

I could make it fit thru a drawbar hitch easy enough but.... I would then have to figure out how to keep it from swinging side to side. Know what I mean? :hide:

noncritical

will it fit under the tractor mid mount

WheelHorse_of_course

Rolf,

I could make it fit thru a drawbar hitch easy enough but.... I would then have to figure out how to keep it from swinging side to side. Know what I mean? :omg:

Hmmmmm :hide:

Fair enough, but if it IS intended for a sleeve hitch it looks like it would have the same problem as there is no place for the hitch's bolts to land to prevent sway. :omg:

I do note that it is rather short which would reduce the tendency to sway.

Also a hiller like this assumes the soil has already plowed, disced and harrowed.

I'll be interested on how it works. Should be prefect for preparing beds for tomatoes peppers, ect.

Happy New Year to everyone :D

:D :hide:

Nick

This might be an off idea but could this have been a rear tine tiller attachment? Just an idea I had. :hide:

CasualObserver

I think you'd be fine using this with a slot hitch. I'd try to make an adapter that looks something like this. Weld a piece of rod stock (or use the one that came with it) to a piece of flat stock cut and drilled to fit into the slot hitch.

adaptor1.jpg

Teddy da Bear

I would just weld a piece of flat stock to the top of it. The flat stock

should be the size to slide into your slot hitch. I would also leave the

rod on it, in place. Then it could be used with both style of hitches.

Good luck.... Keep us posted.

Nick

The plate I had mentioned was if welding was a problem. The idea was drill the slot hitch hole, a hole for the furrower hitch pin and then 2 or 4 smaller holes. The small holes would be to use one or two U-bolts to clamp the plate onto the furrower hitch.

If welding isnt a problem then that would be faster. :hide:

Sorry I cant draw but this is the general idea using U-bolts.

plate-1.jpg

jerrell

thanks nick, but my wife got this for me for christmas, just gonna weld a flat stock that will fit in the slot hitch, weld it on the bottom.

008-1.jpg

Confused99

Why not buy a slot to sleeve hitch adapter. I bought one off of a guy on here and it looks great. Have not used it yet though.

Jason

linen beige

I was going to suggest the same type of u bolted on plate that Nick drew up, so that it wouldn't permanently alter the plow. Why not rig each of these plows for your slot hitch? That way you can used one to cover and the other to un cover.

The slot to sleeve adapter that Jason suggests is a good idea. That would let you use other sleeve type stuff too.

jerrell

:hide: well duuuuuuuu, i just didn't think of that , a couple of bolts and it's finished, i still haven't got my welder yet, the couple of bolts in a piece that will slip in the slot and i'm done, don't know where my head is :D

:hide: Nick, does Glen's have a web site?

Nick

Glens website http://www.glenssurplus.com/ was just redesigned and I dont think they have everything back on that was on it before. It does list mower blades, filters and some of the tires they handle.

mailman

Ok guys, first of all, thanks for all the help and great ideas!

Here's what I came up with. I don't have a welder or the skills.

I was walking the aisles at Home Depot and came across these heavy duty pieces of brackets used in fencing. I figured that if they didn't work I could always bring them back and nothing lost. Well, they did work and they are heavy duty. Take a look!

002-6.jpg

Nick

Nice work Mailman. :hide: For some reason I wasnt thinking about your clevis hitch but was fixated on making it fit the slot hitch. I like nothing better than finding a piece that will do the job as-is with minimal cutting, drilling or welding. :D

Stigian

I like your thinking Eric, a simple to make and does the job a treat :hide: