Sign in to follow this  
gamaemry305

Steering Wheel Question

gamaemry305

Can This be fixed? I was wondering if there was some way to heat up the plastic and melting it back together.

DSCN1354.jpg

DSCN1356.jpg

Oh, Any of you guys know if this dealer is still in place?

DSCN1355.jpg

Brian1045

Regaurdless if that can be fixed or not. Those steering wheels were notorious for getting week and flattening out so to speak. A lot of them would hit the hood latch when you either tried to open the hood or turn the wheel.

Or I've seen a few that the outer main steering wheel will wiggle right where yours is broke. I was patient and found one on ebay. Other models in the 60's also had that 2 spoke wheel. I bought one from an 8xx series.

formariz

I am not sure if yours has metal under the plastic to reinforce it. Here is what I did to one I am restoring for a 59RJ. Something real heavy must have fallen on it and it was totally bent with the "plastic" cover broken with pieces actually missing out of it. The epoxy I used is available at Home Depot. This stuff will adhere to anything and becomes actually stronger than the materials used on. Once cured it can be shaped and finished over. I have used for many years in many applications some under extreme conditions such as in a damaged exhaust port without having it fail yet.

I am not sure how it will stand up in your situation if there is no metal within the steering wheel, but it may be worth a try.

Cas

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

C-Series14

Do a search for bath tractor inc, it i still there I believe!

jusjeepn

Like to see more of that 1045