Sign in to follow this  
DeHart16

Hydro rebuild help?

DeHart16

Slowly working on my 854 restore...tractor came with a hydro set up, anywhere online about rebuilding these units? Or just freshening up? It worked fine when I disassembled but I figure I would do what I can while I have the tractor apart. 

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

There are some very fine knowledgeable folks here. Come tomorrow afternoon you will have all kinds of info, plus leads to manuals that will  guide you. Good luck with your tractor.   Unfortunately I'm not one of the wiz kids. B)

pfrederi

I have the Wheel-a matic Manual.  WH didn't provide a lot of repair guidance...it was sort of repair by replacement, except for some O rings.  There is a suction screen you could clean but it requires removing the unit and I will have to research to see if the gasket is still available..  If it works OK change the fluid and filter and leave well enough alone. PM me I can send you the manual. I do not see it in the manual section here.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Try this link and see if it matches your hydro.  There are some other choices in the "manuals" section...scroll down to Transmissions.

There was also a very good thread on rebuilding these Sundstrands.  I'll see if I can find it.

This is the thread I was thinking about, but it is for a "D"...but I'll bet it gives a good idea of what you are up against.  :)

pfrederi

This thread got me thinking...always dangerous... Why did WH not provide any overhaul instructions with the Wheel-a -matics.  That manual pretty much resorts to repair by replacement.  Yet a couple years later For Chargers and Electros it was renamed hydro gear and subsequently a manual was prepared that provided real overhaul instruction.  I have never opened up a Wheel-a-matic but from what i have read there is little difference between it and the later hydro gear automatics. Wonder why the change in view.  Initially did WH not trust the dealers mechanics to deal with this "Complex new device"???

Second thought.  Even the later manuals provide not much info on how to overhaul the motor part (it is really just a gear pump) of a hydrogear unit. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Paul...as you know, the 854 is a manual transmission.  He made it sound like a hydro trans has been placed in the horse.  I wonder if he is talking about a HY-2 unit??  :think:  Here is a thread:

and here is the manual for the HY-2 unit.  :)

• Like 2

pfrederi

Good point  I just saw this under transmissions and assumed we were talking Wheel a matic.

• Like 1

DeHart16

Ah man....my mistake fellas....I did in fact mean my HY-2 unit...the link and manual are helpful though.

sorry for the confusion 

• Like 1