Marv

Clutch spring

Marv

The clutch spring broke on my 486. While researching I discovered the spring for B80, C120. C160 etc Pn 1014 has been discontinued and Toro does not offer a substitute number. The 486 Pn108035 is available. It is heavier than the 1014 Spring. I see no reason we can't use the 108035 to replace it when needed.

Marvin

• Like 1

Racinbob

You bet, works fine. I didn't know it was heavier. That's probably to compensate for the damper they put on some models. The damper that was on mine fell off :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

doc724

Marv, I ran into the same problem when I was restoring my C141.  Came up with the same P/N you did 108035.  Bought 2, installed one and keep one in my WH spare parts box.

• Like 3

Dakota8338

This is a couple of years old now, but looking for the same spring (number 1014), I encountered an updated number 83-2730, which is still in stock at some locations.  If we are allowed to site sources, I will in the future.  If not, PM me and I will provide my source.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Something worth Noting about Wheel Horse/Toro Clutch Springs

Interesting thing about these Wheel Horse clutch springs.   The original 1014 spring is shorter than the replacement 108035.    My clutch spring on my 603  (red one missing one end rusted off in photo)  was a little wider than the 83-2730  (a later replacement)   and the  current clutch spring version 108035  is really too long to properly clutch that transmission.   

Yes, you can adjust the brake band but not enough on the 603 version.    I do have a couple of the 83-2730 versions that are New Old Stock but I also note then are a little narrower on the spring as seen in my photo this from this morning.

083.JPG

• Like 3

Racinbob

That's interesting Lane. I've never come across a 2 piece case transmission where a 108035 wouldn't work. I have a 5025 and it works fine Maybe the spring is connected differently? :confusion-shrug: Pictures? :)

Willie

I’m replacing a worn out clutch spring on my 77 C120. My replacement part is about 1/3 the size of the worn out part. Anybody got any ideas on how I can install this thing? I don’t know if I’m strong enough to stretches thing out. 

D8AFC740-A908-439B-916A-1627078DCB79.jpeg

Racinbob
48 minutes ago, Willie said:

I’m replacing a worn out clutch spring on my 77 C120. My replacement part is about 1/3 the size of the worn out part. Anybody got any ideas on how I can install this thing? I don’t know if I’m strong enough to stretches thing out. 

D8AFC740-A908-439B-916A-1627078DCB79.jpeg

You've got the wrong spring. You want a 108035. I wouldn't try to make the one you have work. I always have a couple of them in my stash. Four of my five use them. Readily available on Ebay.

Edited by Racinbob

Willie

Ten4 good buddy.  

peter lena

@Marv  while you are on that spring detail , get some penetrating oil into the connection ends of all related linkage , or grease fittings . like aerosol red grease with spray tube after the rust runs out , pinpoint lasting lubricant , takes the effort out of linkage . pete

Racinbob

I suspect you know this but Here's the correct hook up points. This is a 76 C-series, identical to yours. :)

20220218_165212.jpg.85a3a92c3da1fd3ca1cf4f9b6931b2ea.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don
On 8/29/2022 at 8:58 PM, Racinbob said:

I suspect you know this but Here's the correct hook up points. This is a 76 C-series, identical to yours. :)

20220218_165212.jpg.85a3a92c3da1fd3ca1cf4f9b6931b2ea.jpg

Nice photo!

Willie

Got my spring from jacks and installed it today. I left my clutch linkage adjustment where it was. How many threads are showing on your clutch linkage adjustable nut? I have 5.

This new spring is much better than the factory one I took off. Thanks.

EBA2D70B-9999-4967-A0D6-BE7BF25DF814.jpeg

Willie
On 7/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, mabsoon said:

Yes they are.

I have pics but they are too big to post….

the agricultural tires are also on rims.

mabsoon

Ag tires sold.