NYJack

New Guy with No Start help needed

NYJack

Hello from Up State NY!  New Guy here with a C120 and recently new to me 312 Hydro, with a problem.  Need some help please.

312 is my first hydro garden tractor.

Problem is that when I got it last year it was sometimes hard to start, especially if it had sat for any period of time over a few days.  I could get it going by spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb, it would fire and sometimes continue to run and sometimes not unless I continued spraying the carb cleaner in, then eventually would run on its own.  It did not do this all the time, my daughter in law mowed the lawn, and for two months while I was away she had no problem at all--maybe she has a gentler touch.......

The previous owner said that he did sometimes have trouble starting it, especially if it had sat with the back lower than the front.

So, this year I go out to get it going and it will not start.  It will pop and run on the carb cleaner, but will not keep going.  I dropped the float bowl and there was a very small amount of gas in it.  Cranking it over with the bowl off showed that no gas was coming into the bow.

Sooooooo, I am thinking it is a fuel pump issue (yes, I added gas to it before I tryed to start it)?  What do you guys think?  Any other things I should check?   I did mess with the petcock on the fuel tank.  To open it you turn it OUT all the way, right?  That is how it works on the C120.

Any help appreciated.  I am not very mechanical but try my best and can read a manual (which I don't have for this tractor) and follow instructions.

Also, can anyone tell me if the mower deck from the 312 hydro will fit on the C120?  The grass is going to be high before I have the 312 running I am afraid.

Thank you,

Jack

953 nut

:WRS:   As you have speculated, the fuel pump is likely to be the problem. It has inlet and outlet check valves that tend to leak by and allow fuel to drain back to the tank. An electric fuel pump would be the quickest and probably least expensive solution for you. Any good Auto parts store will have a low pressure fuel pump in stock and you can hook the power up to an accessory terminal at the ignition switch going through a fuse.  Take a look at this wiring diagram.

As for the deck fitting on the C120, The deck will fit, but you will also need the Mule Drive on the front to route the drive belt for the deck and the PTO clutch on the engine.

Digger 66

Welcome to the forum from the western end of the state .

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Maybe you just need a good carb disassembly and cleaning.

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti: Jack! Fuel pump or carb problem would be the direction I would pursue. Enjoy the forum.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

NYJack

Thanks Guys for the advice and warm welcome

I am leaning towards fuel pump problem.  If I get a chance tomorrow I will go pick up a low pressure electric pump.  Is there any criteria for the pump, like a certain

pressure number?  This is new to me.

Where is the best place to put it in the line?  I take it I can just by pass the present fuel pump.  Will a ground wire need to be run from the pump?

To just get the lawn mowed I was thinking of closing the petcock on the tank (in case the pump decides to start working), and running a line direct to the carb from my portable gas tank, would just have to figure out a way to hold it up, like an IV pole.  I have test rode motorbikes with that tank hanging around my neck......not the brightest moments of my life. but it worked......

Any other thoughts and advice welcome.

Jack

953 nut

This is then type of pump you need, they were used on vehicles with carburetors and produce about 2 to 6 psi.

s-l1600.jpg

Lost Pup

Check the gas tank for debris .....i pull the gas filter and GENTLY blow the line back to the tank......gas cap off. I always drain and flush the tanks now. The small screen on the petcock valve in the gas tank slowly get covered or clogged over time. Place the gas line from the tank lower to the ground and see if gas will gravity flow into a small container. 

NYJack

953 Nut,  thanks for the photo.  Where in the line should the pump go?  Red wire to Acc on switch, black to ground?

Pup, thanks, I will try that.  Hard to use gravity with this tractor as the fuel line goes up higher than the tank before there is a place that it is accessible.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Electric pumps push better than suck so mounting back near the tank is a good idea.  I have mounted a couple on the inside of the fender support bracket.  This would preclude the use of a rock shaft if you were planing on a tiller or moldboard plow. I wire mine to to the I terminal...if you have a mag system use the Acc terminal.  just remember to leave the key in the run position for a few seconds to let the pump fill the carb bowl.  (You can hear the pump sound change when it is full)

• Like 1

NYJack

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Went down to the tractor store and they could get me the proper fuel pump.  Last time they ordered one, three years ago it was $130.  I only paid $575 for the tractor....

So, crossed the street to the auto parts store a friend runs.  They could get me the stock pump for $125.   I asked about the electric one and they had one in stock, $30.

So, being that the grass is getting high, I bought it and kind of cobbed it together just to get the lawn mowed.  Mounted the pump to the draw bar, right under the gas tank (and I just this instant thought "does that lift up and down with the mower"???), ran another fuel line to the carb and extended the hot wire, put an alligator clip on it and clipped it to the battery.  Rube Goldberg but it worked.  When I have more time I will do it in a much more workman like manner  but I had better do it soon or it will still be like that two years from now!

Thanks again!    I would never have thought of the electric pump!

pfrederi-- how would I know if I have a magneto system?  It is the 312Hydro with the Kohler 12 hp engine.  As to the 1 or Acc terminal, you are talking on the back of the key switch, right?  I would hate to hook something up wrong and have the tractor go up in smoke...

Jack

• Like 1

DougC

Sounds like you are doing just fine Jack. Whatever it takes to get the job done and you can always come back later when you have the time and make the installation look factory. Good job!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut
21 minutes ago, NYJack said:

Rube Goldberg but it worked

Good old Rube, I think he is a Senior Founding member here.  :ychain:  We prefer to think of it as shade-tree engineering.   

22 minutes ago, NYJack said:

how would I know if I have a magneto system?

Unless a previous owner has changed it over to a automotive ignition coil, it left the factory with a magneto. 

22 minutes ago, NYJack said:

Acc terminal, you are talking on the back of the key switch

As @pfrederi said, be sure to leave the key in the on position a few seconds prior to starting to fill carburetor.

• Like 1