clip

Hot tips

clip

Hot tip:

During assembly, put a light coat of lip balm on gaskets that might need to be reused in the future (carburetor, intake, etc). The gasket will be less likely to stick to the mating surfaces on the next disassembly.

• Like 8

clip

Hot tip:

When pouring fluids out of cans, lay a pencil across the top pointing at your intended target. The fluid will travel down the pencil and the pour will be more controllable.

Edited by clip
  • Like 1

clip

Hot tip: 

Use aluminum foil when masking areas for painting. Foil can be crumpled around odd-shaped parts, gas lines, axles, etc. and hold itself without the need for tape.

• Like 9

clip

Hot tip:

Use the tip of a large soldering iron to apply localized heat when removing a screw that has permanent threadlocker on the threads. The iron will not scorch or warp the neighboring paint and sheet metal like a torch.

• Like 5

Dakota8338

Someone who thinks outside the box, and can see the individual trees in the forest!  Good tips.

Digger 66

Heat-shrink your ratchet handles to keep from accidentally marring that fresh restoration .

Smear white enamel across the markings on your sockets and then wipe away .

The paint will stay in the size stampings making them a snap to see .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2

c-series don

Tie an old sock around your wrist when doing overhead fluid changes. It will keep the fluid from running down your forearm. 

• Like 2

c-series don

Thought of another one, when trying to remove a stubborn race apply a small bead of weld directly to the race. Maybe a quarter of the way around. As the weld cools it will shrink the race and it will pop right out !! I remember the first time I saw this done I thought, now there's something I'll never forget!!

• Like 2

Digger 66

Nice one ^^^^^^