Shynon

Carbon buildup

Shynon

Thought I would share this picture.  Building a Kohler for a friend.  Pulled the head and found this. Piston top was eaten away from the carbon buildup at the top of the cylinder. This is one of the reasons I pull the head on any new to me/used tractor I get you never know what you will find. 

20160424_130836.jpg

20160424_125549.jpg

• Like 4

oldredrider

Pulling the head and discovering what's inside is like an autopsy. It can give you insight into not only what's wrong, but the kind if life it's led.

• Like 6

prondzy

Boy I sure wouldn't take that thing plowing, imagine the damage:teasing-poke:

!:hide:

• Like 2

WHX??
22 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Pulling the head and discovering what's inside is like an autopsy. It can give you insight into not only what's wrong, but the kind if life it's led.

Yeah kinda like that tv show where they look at bones and tell ya whats going on!!

Interesting that the carbon trail leads to the exhaust valve and from the top it looks like the wall it out of round there...maybe an optical delusion tho...Could this have running a little lean? Isn't there was a tool out there for removing ridges from the tops of cylinders?

• Like 1

oldredrider

Yup. Interestingly enough,  it's called a ridge cutter!

• Like 1

welderman85

What causes carbon buildup like that? 

WHX??

The burning of a fossil fuel in a enclosed space welderman... pretty much the normal,  worse in some engines better in others. Depends alot on fuel grades, carb settings, rpms the motor is run at & the like. Our over the pond :wh:brethren call it coke so de-coking a head is not trying to get you horse off an addiction!

• Like 2

buffaloman

I wonder if its worth runninh some of that sea foam through em every so often to Help remove that stuff?

• Like 2

newtowheel

I tried sea foam and it cleared everything out on my other mower. I am a firm believer in it now.