mdtoro

48" sprung deck, 520xi

ferguson65

What exactly do you mean by "sprung"?  Is the right (discharge) side spread and cutting lower than the left?  If that's the case I may have some ideas for you as I've done some work to mine to get it leveled out.

Scott

mdtoro

Yes, the right side is close to an inch lower than the left.

shallowwatersailor

There are a few things that you can check:

First is the obvious. Is the deck attached correctly? When I bought my first 5xi from a JD dealer, my right gage wheel would rub the right rear tire. It turned out that it had been attached too far to the left. The lift arms with the J-Hook should be between the leveler bar and the draft bar of the carriage. Check that the lift arms drop equally too.

Second, the 48" deck is "visually" unequal side to side The only way to correctly determine blade height is with a blade gauge that slips under the lip of the deck, and then check the three blades height.

Third, are the gage wheels equal in height? Is the gage wheel axle bent?

Fourth, did someone install an incorrect spindle?

I have heard of decks getting racked by owners stepping on them while getting on and off, but this deck is very sturdy for that to happen.

mdtoro
16 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

There are a few things that you can check:

First is the obvious. Is the deck attached correctly? When I bought my first 5xi from a JD dealer, my right gage wheel would rub the right rear tire. It turned out that it had been attached too far to the left. The lift arms with the J-Hook should be between the leveler bar and the draft bar of the carriage. Check that the lift arms drop equally too.

Second, the 48" deck is "visually" unequal side to side The only way to correctly determine blade height is with a blade gauge that slips under the lip of the deck, and then check the three blades height.

Third, are the gage wheels equal in height? Is the gage wheel axle bent?

Fourth, did someone install an incorrect spindle?

I have heard of decks getting racked by owners stepping on them while getting on and off, but this deck is very sturdy for that to happen.

Good things to check but the above is mostly not applicable in my case. Over the last 15 years I've hit a number of stumps and it always seems to be on the right side.  This Spring I hit another stump and the deck is really off now.   IN the fall I usually use the vacuum bagger system and that does seem to be a bit rough on the right side.

The deck baffles on the right have two cracks that are at least an 1/8" wide that I've ignored for a few years. 

Although, I will review the lift arms and how they drop.  However, my measurements are showing the right side down considerably from the left.

shallowwatersailor

Okay. You seem to know the reason then. The gage wheels should keep it level, unless you have bent that too.

I'm not sure how far gone it is but there is a 5xi 48" deck for sale in the Classified section.

mdtoro
11 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Okay. You seem to know the reason then. The gage wheels should keep it level, unless you have bent that too.

I'm not sure how far gone it is but there is a 5xi 48" deck for sale in the Classified section.

I did lower the right side gage wheel to get me by for now.  The deck in the classifieds is a bit too far for me. 

I see a few methods to fix a deck including the one in the youtube link and I see something about drilling holes to put in a rod so you can bend it back in place.  I would guess I need to tear down the deck and get some good measurements. Perhaps the stiffening plate is slightly bent.  There might be a metal fabrication shop nearby that can help out.

ferguson65
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, mdtoro said:

Yes, the right side is close to an inch lower than the left.

Mine had the same issues.  It would scallop the yard really badly.  I set the adjustment on the right side to center and pulled the deck back together with a ratchet strap under the right side until it was level side to side, or maybe a little high on the right side.  I then cut a piece of angle iron to fit tightly between the gauge wheel mount and the height adjuster.  Welded it to both pieces and stitched it to the deck pan.  In 5 years I have not felt the need to fool with it again, so I'm calling it a win.  This year I picked up the power bagger and had to trim the angle a bit for belt clearance.

IMO, the 48" xi deck is way underbuilt.  If it was hung from under the tractor like most other tractors it would be more than adequate.  But since the height adjustment wheels ride on the ground the deck takes tons of abuse, and just isn't heavy enough for it over a prolonged period of time.

deck4_zpsepsxqqmd.jpg

deck51_zpsrkjel6rc.jpg

deck3_zpsmdwznprh.jpg

deck1_zpscwia1vtl.jpg

As you can tell from the pics I don't baby this thing, but my mod has held.

• Like 1

mdtoro

Yes, looks like a similar situation. 

I'll have to think about how to use a ratchet strap for this.  How did you use a ratchet strap, with the deck on and hooked it to what?

Your bracing is impressive.  Once I figure out how to pull the deck back in shape I will find a welder to do something similar. 

The vacuum for the power bagger puts a lot of weight on the right side.  I see a lot of flex in my deck with the weight of the vacuum on the right side.  I'm interested in hearing if you experience any issues as you start to use the power bagger.  I use mine mostly in the fall to pickup leaves.

10 hours ago, ferguson65 said:

Mine had the same issues.  It would scallop the yard really badly.  I set the adjustment on the right side to center and pulled the deck back together with a ratchet strap under the right side until it was level side to side, or maybe a little high on the right side.  I then cut a piece of angle iron to fit tightly between the gauge wheel mount and the height adjuster.  Welded it to both pieces and stitched it to the deck pan.  In 5 years I have not felt the need to fool with it again, so I'm calling it a win.  This year I picked up the power bagger and had to trim the angle a bit for belt clearance.

IMO, the 48" xi deck is way underbuilt.  If it was hung from under the tractor like most other tractors it would be more than adequate.  But since the height adjustment wheels ride on the ground the deck takes tons of abuse, and just isn't heavy enough for it over a prolonged period of time.

As you can tell from the pics I don't baby this thing, but my mod has held.

Edited by mdtoro