82Caddy

Mower deck spindle help.

82Caddy

So I'd like to put the mower deck back into use on my Commando.  With that comes a few years of neglect and abuse...

I pulled the belt off and only one of the spindles moves...The other two are frozen solid.  I didn't put any heat to them or try very hard to get them to move.  Either way, I'd rather replace or rebuild.  Can these spindles be rebuilt with new bearings or am I stuck trying to track down new spindles?

Mower deck is a 36" side discharge model number  5-0720 .

Links to parts (google has failed me so far) or part numbers?  A push in the right direction?

953 nut

Check out these two downloads from our "Manuals" section; should give you all the info. you will need. Yours appears to be one of the "non-serviceable" spindles, not sure.

Edited by 953 nut

slammer302

If i'm thinking right your deck has the sealed bearings that will have to be pressed out and new pressed in.

Marv

Believe it uses "water pump" style bearings. Cast iron housing. Can be a bear to remove sometimes but can be replaced. PN 103119.

Marvin

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Your mower deck 5-0720 wants SPINDLE ASSEMBLY # 100675 and I have TWO of them on Ebay at this listing: 131783502802

Here is a pic or two.of them.

Contact me directly at the following email address:

daveoman@windstream.net

36 DD A (1).JPG

36 DD A (4).JPG

82Caddy

On 4/23/2016 at 10:09 PM, daveoman1966 said:

Your mower deck 5-0720 wants SPINDLE ASSEMBLY # 100675 and I have TWO of them on Ebay at this listing: 131783502802

Here is a pic or two.of them.

Contact me directly at the following email address:

daveoman@windstream.net

36 DD A (1).JPG

36 DD A (4).JPG

Those spindles look nothing like the ones I have...

Anyhow, I figured since one spindle was locked up tight might as well see if I can get it apart.  Little bit of heat and some persuasion with a punch/press and it was apart.  

You could actually read the numbers and markings on the bearings.

I took a bunch more pictures but this is the only one I have that isn't blurry...

26190706333_de27590f1b_k.jpg

There is a needle bearing, JT-1213 in the bottom (near blade) and a ball bearing, 22612-88 (at the top near the deck).  I ordered 3 of each so I can replace them all.  Apparently there is a snap ring in the center of the spindle, I'm not entirely sure what it's exact purpose is, but I'll have to pick up 3 more of those as well since I destroyed the one I had when I took the spindle apart.

Weird thing is there is a rivet in the cast part of the spindle.  I think I'm going to drill it out and put a grease zerk on it so I can see if these new bearings can live a little bit longer.

Also the electric motor on my air compressor died so until a new one of those arrives I can't sand blast/clean up the spindle housings.

• Like 1

82Caddy

26228930483_7aef9cb8ef_k.jpg

26228178544_b7713da470_k.jpg

Got the new bearings yesterday.  Fit great and should be back in business by the weekend.  New air compressor motor is scheduled for delivery today so hopefully I can get these blasted and coated tonight.

• Like 1