jay bee

New from Kalamazoo

jay bee

Hi to all.  My journey with Wheel Horse began in 1976 when I was 33 and bought a house with a big yard.  I purchased a new '76 B-100 8-speed with a 36" deck and a 38" pusher blade.  At that time it set me back $1,775.00 out the door.  It was a lot of money at the time, but I never looked back and it turned out to be one of the best purchases of my life.  It has mowed more grass, brushhogged more weeds, plowed more snow, dozed more dirt and helped pull over more trees than I ever would have imagined.  And all with just basic maintainance.  It has never let me down.  About 12 years ago I acquired a 42" snow blower for it.  WOW what a difference between that and a blade.  Wish I'd had the money for that in '76.  That makes moving snow fun again.  The more the better! 

About 2 years ago I thought maybe I should have another tractor for backup, you know, just in case.  So a 1978 C-161 automatic with a 42" deck found me.  I just wish the previous owner had taken better care of it, but it is coming around with a little tinkering and some TLC.  Among many other things, it needed a muffler.  Went the TSC route and got a pot to screw on the end of a pipe.  Hated it!!  Looked online-not a lot there. Last September a friend, who is a member of RS, and I decided to go to the Mentone show and check out the swap meet.  We didn't have any luck with mufflers but we sure had a good time while there.  Since then we have been working with a local exhaust manufacturer and have had a couple of original style mufflers made for our tractors.  We plan on again attending the Mentone show at the end of this month and will bring along a muffler or two and see what others think of what we have come up with.

Sorry for rambling on, but I am really looking forward to the Mentone show and it looks like the weather may cooperate.

Anyway, glad to be here and have always enjoyed the knowledge and expertise that many of you have.

Jim

• Like 8

Sparky

Glad to have ya here Jim........

:WRS:

Mike......

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:  And we would like to see those mufflers too...

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Welcome!

Good to have another Michigander!

• Like 1

JPWH

KC9KAS

:WRS: And we are planning on being at Mentone too!

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :text-coolphotos:

Fun Engineer

Welcome to RedSquare Jim

JC 1965

Hello Jim and   :WRS:

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti: jay bee. Enjoy the forum.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

:WRS:        Please share some photos of you 40 year old :wh: and the new muffler you have developed.

• Like 1

jay bee

I would really like to do the photo thing but I have not figured all that stuff out yet.  If you did the math, I'm back in the early boomer age.  I'm  pretty puter illiterit.  I'll have to get my kids over here and show me how to do some of this stuff.  For now I'm just happy to be able to type after I get this thing turned on.  I'll figure it out eventually and we'll get some pictures posted. 

Thanks for all the welcome messages and looking forward to sharing ideas with all of you in the future.

Jim

• Like 1

jay bee

OK-I think we got this figured out.  It's a good thing my daughter is patient with me. 

This muffler is on the C-161.  We actually run the exhaust pipe all the way through the muffler and cap the one end.  That allows the pipe to be welded on both sides which gives it more rigidity.

Jim

160424_002.jpg160424_003.jpg160424_004.jpg

• Like 3