Sign in to follow this  
TunaSlayet

417-8 Engine Issue?

TunaSlayet

While aerating my lawn this afternoon, my 417-8 (series II) died in the middle of the job. I checked all my safeties, all seemed ok according to the dash lights. I then checked for spark, and there was spark on both plugs. It is cranking, and there was no abnormal sounds/issues prior to it stopping. Oil looks good, and there is gas...If any of you guys have an idea of what the issue may be, please let me know. The points and condenser have not been replaced, and I even have a set. If this is a possible symptom of bad points, I will try replacing, but if this is an unrelated issue, I want to fix one problem at a time. Thanks for helping/reading, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. (will post pics asap)

skrusins

To start with you said you have spark. Spray some WD40 into the carb if it pops it's a fuel issue.Pull out one plug at a time to check for compression in each cylinder

Try to remember Suck, Push, Bang, Blow..

KC9KAS

I would check the points, clean and gap them and put in new plugs!

TunaSlayet

I don't think it is a fuel issue. The exhaust smells like gas, and there was no sputtering or surging prior to the issue. I will certainly start with plugs. They both had a nice toasted brown color, but looked original. (1986) How do I go about gapping/cleaning my points? 

Edited by TunaSlayet

pfrederi

How did you  determine there was a spark on both cylinders?  It happens that some plugs will fire laying on the block but not under compression. (especially Champions)  A $4.00 spark plug tester from Harbor Freight is a great item to have in your tool box.  For points cleaning buy a points file (or steal your wifes metal nail file).  Do NOT use sandpaper emery cloth or cardboard nail files

TunaSlayet

I checked spark exactly how you said-plug against the block and crank. I have a new set of plugs, points and condenser on order, but if it is possible to continue trouble shooting, my mind would be set as ease if I can at least have a prognosis. The parts are a couple weeks away. Thanks for all the replies, and hopefully I will be mowing again soon!

Lost Pup

I have a 417-8 myself. 

Quick shot of starter fluid and the engine should fire. If it does not then ignition and/or electricial.

If it does fire with the fluid then a fuel problem. 

The points/ condenser usually do not just fail instantly, say starting issues as the point wear or age, breaking up under loader or higher rpms and such.

Given the immediate shut down i would think wiring first. I would use small jumper wires to wire the ignition direct to battery cutting out all the safeties and ignition switch to see if it fires and runs. Quick and easy check. From memory a jumper from the positive on the battery to the positive on the coil should do it. The ignition is now hot when you crank with the key switch it should start and run. Pull the jumper to kill the engine. 

I will look at mine in the morning to be sure......i did this with mine as wiring / connectors were in terrible shape / shorted when I bought it.

TunaSlayet

I started by getting a wiring diagram. I checked point operation with a meter and spinning the engine by hand. All ok, I then coil voltage, and presto! No voltage. So I went through the safeties, and cleaned everything up. (Have clutch safety jumped) I now have 12 volts at the coil. But there is still a starting issue. Replaced the plugs, and checked for spark again. There was much more fire with the new plugs. The tractor now starts and runs, so I am willing to bet it was the clutch safety, but without putting it through the paces, I won't know. Going to mow tonight, so I will report back with my findings. 

Edited by TunaSlayet