C-101plowerpower

C81 gearbox found on ebay

C-101plowerpower

i was scrolling through ebay uk and came across this gearbox listed for sale, clicking through the pictures something caught my eye

@stevasaurus have you ever seen one like this?

$_57 (4).JPG

that doesn't look like mine when i opened it

and neither does this

$_57 (7).JPG

anyway here are the rest of the pictures

$_57.JPG

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (5).JPG

$_57 (6).JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

ebay number  272214562070

Edited by C-101plowerpower

daveoman1966

One side of the differential end cap is missing a bearing race.  That is why the axle would flop around in the square tube and beat up the housing.  The bearing race would run on the roller bearing in the cast iron case.  I've marked up your pic to show this...

It MAY be that someone installed the wrong end cap, not having the correct one on hand. 

c-81.jpg

stevasaurus

Koen, that is your typical 8 speed transmission from across the pond.  OK, it is not typical...I have not seen one until now.  They used a metric needle bearing in place of the #1533 ball bearing...and it looks like they pressed some kind of bronze or stainless bushing on the differential carriage to make it work.  The differential appears to be a pretty normal 8 pinion.  I think in the last picture, the bronze bushing is missing.  We should have a manual for these transmissions...if not...I know there are plenty of threads discussing this mater.  Are you looking to pick this up?  It looks good, except for missing that bushing.  The chewed up axle is probably from when the bushing disintegrated...it would be OK with the new bushing.  :)  Nice find Koen...I don't think we have any pictures of this transmission on this site.  Have to do a little research.  I think it is factory.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
Just now, stevasaurus said:

Koen, that is your typical 8 speed transmission from across the pond.  OK, it is not typical...I have not seen one until now.  They used a metric needle bearing in place of the #1533 ball bearing...and it looks like they pressed some kind of bronze or stainless bushing on the differential carriage to make it work.  The differential appears to be a pretty normal 8 pinion.  I think in the last picture, the bronze bushing is missing.  We should have a manual for these transmissions...if not...I know there are plenty of threads discussing this mater.  Are you looking to pick this up?  It looks good, except for missing that bushing.  The chewed up axle is probably for when the bushing disintegrated...it would be OK with the new bushing.  :)  Nice find Koen...I don't think we have any pictures of this transmission on this site.  Have to do a little research.

not really looking to get it, just caught my eye when scrolling through wh listings. the bearing looked a bit odd, that's about it:lol:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Looks like one of these

Garry

• Like 1

Bert

If the 1533 was not used in the UK could this type of setup be fitted to US built trans now that the 1533 is no longer

available? I know used parts are out there but this could be an alternative? :techie-eureka:

the fact that it's metric could be an issue? 

• Like 2

daveoman1966

I have the bearing race part # 8052 in my shop and I could send it to the UK.  However, from your pic,  it doesn't look like you have the correct end cap for it.  What are the numbers stamped into the end caps...BOTH of them.     

C-101plowerpower
2 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I have the bearing race part # 8052 in my shop and I could send it to the UK.  However, from your pic,  it doesn't look like you have the correct end cap for it.  What are the numbers stamped into the end caps...BOTH of them.     

no clue, i don't own this transmission and don't plan on owning it. it's just the bearings that caught my eye