Pollack Pete

What Happened To Tire Sizes????

Pollack Pete

Working on my latest 520H. It needed front tires.It had Carlisle 16 x 7.50 x 8 on it.Maybe original tires?? Severely dry rotted.I found 2 Deestone tires on E-Bay in my price range.Spelled cheap.Bought them.The arrived the other day.I'm really disappointed.These new Deestone's are like 2 in. narrower than the old Carlisles.Of course,the Deestone were made in Thailand.The old Carlisle wer made in America.The old tires looked like a steam roller.The new ones......pretty whimpy looking.What gives here anyway? This would be like wearing a size 12 shoe.Buying a size 12 shoe.Finding out the new shoes are really like a size 9.Anybody else notice this when buying new tires? Last new Carlisles I bought were made in Japan.

gawald

Wife keeps reminding me you get what you pay for.  Since she is a well endowed lady with narrow feet,  I pay a lot for bras and shoes, but wow, is she worth it!   Same goes for everything else in life.  Since I like to pay less for most things, I keep having to re-learn this lesson.   Sorry the Deestone tires fall into this category,

• Like 4

Pollack Pete
3 hours ago, gawald said:

Wife keeps reminding me you get what you pay for.  Since she is a well endowed lady with narrow feet,  I pay a lot for bras and shoes, but wow, is she worth it!   Same goes for everything else in life.  Since I like to pay less for most things, I keep having to re-learn this lesson.   Sorry the Deestone tires fall into this category,

Yup.Being Polish,I guess I have to learn this " quality does not equal in-expensive "stuff over and over.I keep thinking........one of these days,I'm going to find a bargain that's of decent quality.Just dreamin' I guess.Better days are coming.

clip

The Carlisle Tru-Powers I got from Amazon still have the "Made in the USA" and American flag on the sidewall. Not sure about my Vredesteins on the front.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
49 minutes ago, clip said:

The Carlisle Tru-Powers I got from Amazon still have the "Made in the USA" and American flag on the sidewall. Not sure about my Vredesteins on the front.

Vredestein are made in The Netherlands.

DorkFish

The parts tractor I just bought has one old Carlisle tire and one new on the front, and the old one is about 1.5 inches wider than the new, even though they are both the "same size" according to the sidewall.  Newer one looks chincy as hell, too.

82Caddy

Sounds like you didn't do your homework on Deestone tires. They're well known to run small. 

Its just like any tire/shoe/pants/shirt - not everyone makes them the same and calls them the same size. 

• Like 2

Pollack Pete
2 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

Sounds like you didn't do your homework on Deestone tires. They're well known to run small. 

Its just like any tire/shoe/pants/shirt - not everyone makes them the same and calls them the same size. 

Well.I worked in a factory for 40 years and we had what was called "Industry Standards" Eli Whitney came out with interchangeable parts over 150 years ago.Just a bunch of BS that different tire manufacturerers can vary the size of a tire that much and still have the same size on the sidewall.Tell me where to  find tractor tire measurements and I'll gladly do my homework next time.

• Like 1

82Caddy
51 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Well.I worked in a factory for 40 years and we had what was called "Industry Standards" Eli Whitney came out with interchangeable parts over 150 years ago.Just a bunch of BS that different tire manufacturerers can vary the size of a tire that much and still have the same size on the sidewall.Tell me where to  find tractor tire measurements and I'll gladly do my homework next time.

A quick Google search or even a search on this site would have revealed many discussions about Deestone tires.

I don't know what to tell you about "industry standards" when it comes to tires. It is what it is. 

clip

Guess it's a case of buyer beware. With the advent of the Internet opening up all sorts of new ways to buy new products from manufacturers I wouldn't have even known existed years ago, it also allows a sharing of knowledge and experience. I find myself reading more reviews and ratings and comparisons than I ever thought possible. Used to be walk into the hardware store, look at the two brands and pick the best choice. Pay the higher price but some of that can be seen as the fee to save me time and pay for someone else to order the right products to satisfy the customers.