ztnoo

Hoosier Red Square Members Shoutout!

ztnoo

Gentlemen,

I've been around here for about 2 1/2 months now and I'm amazed at the knowledge base, expertise, and camaraderie here at RS.

Everything I've had questions about has always been promptly and expertly replied to, and in almost every case, has solved whatever question or specific problem I have had.

I'm ecstatic I've found this place. I feel so fortunate.

In my quest to keep a 47 year old Wheel Horse tractor running and working, I feel like I've found paradise here at RS

As a part of becoming a member of this community, I have begun to note and take interest in meets relatively close to me that I could fairly easily scope out and see what goes on at these events.

First on my list is the upcoming meet in Mentone, IN on April 30.

Interestingly, even though I don't live in that area of Indiana, I do have some familiarity with it.

My family owned a lake cottage beginning in 1936 which I sold in May of 2013, about 10 miles from Mentone, so I know exactly how to get there. It's about 1 hour and 10 minutes from my home.

I have learned something of who the Hoosier members are here at RS, but I make no pretense of knowing everyone, or even where they are from.

In advance of the Mentone event, I'd love to know who all you other Hoosier are, and where you are from, if you care to share that info.

If you don't care to divulge all your info in this thread that's fine......you can PM me if you desire.

I'd just like to think that since I plan at this point in going to Mentone to attend the event....... maybe in advance, I might have more familiarity with the personalities attending than what I currently do.

I'd love to hear from all you Hoosiers here.......whether you are going to Mentone or not.

And not to exclude anyone, any other RS members from other states who will be attending Mentone and other Hoosier events.

Regards,

Steve

Gas City, IN

Sparky

Really....none? :rolleyes: I know we have a ton of guys from your state, they must be all sleeping!

:ROTF:

Mike.........

Brrly1

John Campbell - Brrly1 (Burly)  Toledo, Ohio

Don't forget Portland, Ind. in May!!!

• Like 5

Racinbob

I may live in Florida right now but I'm still a Hoosier at heart. I was born and raised about 15 miles northeast of South Bend in Granger then lived about 15 miles southwest of South Bend in North Liberty. I was first introduced to Wheel Horses in 1960 at the age of 5. Been playing with them ever since. Living on 26 acres I had a herd of red tractors but never really perceived them as we do now. That was before Red Square and the big show existed. After 45 years living in Indiana we decided to move here. We both agree it was a mistake so within two years we will be moving back to Indiana. Wifey continues to look at dozens of houses even though she knows it's about a year out before we can get serious. You can bet it will be in the vicinity of the North Liberty area. Mentone and Portland will be on my calendar as must goes as well as Scotts in October.  :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

wh500special
5 hours ago, Racinbob said:

...then lived about 15 miles southwest of South Bend in North Liberty....

Ever lose a hood from a Charger/Raider on SR-23? :)

One day on my commute from work in Walkerton to my house in South Bend about 13 years ago I picked up a hood laying perfectly in the road just south of North Liberty.  Still have it...

Great area.  Some day I'll move back.

For the OP, I'm not in Indiana anymore but did live there for about 10 years.  First in South Bend, then in West Lebanon (now there's a small dot on the map...).  Great people, those Hoosiers.  Great state.

Ironically, in my home base of southern Illinois around St. Louis, MO the word "hoosier" doesn't quite carry the same cachet...means "white trash" of sorts and is used with wreckless abandon.  So, perhaps I've always been a hoosier of one kind or another.

Steve

• Like 5

Racinbob
9 minutes ago, wh500special said:

Ever lose a hood from a Charger/Raider on SR-23? :)

One day on my commute from work in Walkerton to my house in South Bend about 13 years ago I picked up a hood laying perfectly in the road just south of North Liberty.  Still have it...

Was it red??:rolleyes:

I'm sooooo looking forward to getting back there. :)

• Like 2

ztnoo

Thought I'd give this a bump.....

So, where are all you Hoosier Wheel Horse owners, anyway???

5 replies by 4 posters and only ONE NATIVE HOOSIER???

umm.gif

No way!

Come on guys.........I KNOW there many, many more from just reading threads........

• Like 2

RedRanger
13 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Thought I'd give this a bump.....

So, where are all you Hoosier Wheel Horse owners, anyway???

5 replies by 4 posters and only ONE NATIVE HOOSIER???

umm.gif

No way!

Come on guys.........I KNOW there many, many more from just reading threads........

Just saw this post for the first time.  Guess I was sleeping.

Steve from Schererville.

I've always lived in Indiana.  Michigan City, LaPorte, Bloomington, Valparaiso, Schererville....I've been around I guess.  :blink:

18 hours ago, wh500special said:

Great people, those Hoosiers.  Great state.

Ironically, in my home base of southern Illinois around St. Louis, MO the word "hoosier" doesn't quite carry the same cachet...means "white trash" of sorts and is used with wreckless abandon.  So, perhaps I've always been a hoosier of one kind or another.

Steve

Ironically, us Hoosiers have a name for Illinoisans too, FIP's! (expletive Illinois People)  They're always jackin' up traffic and lost in front of us. When you meet them, they're generally arrogant and jerks. Wish they'd just stay home.  Not you of course.   You sound like a Hoosier at heart.  :ychain:

• Like 3

wh500special
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

...Ironically, us Hoosiers have a name for Illinoisans too, FIP's! (expletive Illinois People)  ....

They use the same term of endearment for us in Wisconsin and Minnesota too!  I can't help but think (rationalize?) it's geared more toward the Chicago area folks than us downstaters though...whole different world down here. 

Steveasaurus?  What say you?

Sometimes they replace the "P" with a "B"...you'll have to fill in the blank for that one!

:)

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 3

mabsoon

I guess I fill both those bills. Was just commenting on this earlier, the use of the Hoosier word in Illinois. 

Never heard the Illinois term.

Born at Rantoul Air Force Base, grown in a farming community, no really, Farmer City :ROTF:!!!

Now a Hoosier!

Molon_Labe

Steve, I'll be heading up to Mentone from Noblesville bright and early on the 30th, hope to see you there. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: for good weather.

• Like 1

AlwaysLookin80

Indiana here 

BenTheWheelHorseMan

I just saw this topic. Born and raised in a little town called winamac. You guys may know it from the show that we have.

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

I just tripped over this thread- I am a bit of an mixed Breed. I was born and raised in Mishawaka In- But played Big Ten Football for the "Fighting Illini" at the University of Illinois/ Champaign Il. We won the 1964 Rose Bowl & I had the privilege to Play with Men like Dick Butkus & Jim Grabowski. My head coach was Pete Elliot- who later served as the longest acting President of The Pro Football Hall of Fame- Canton Ohio.

I am now retired and living back in Mishawaka today- just " a hop skip & jump from where Wheel Horse  started in South Bend In. Good Luck- hope to bump into more Hoosiers on this site- Al

• Like 2

ztnoo

Welcome BenTheWheelHorseMan & illinilefttackle !

Yeah, there are tons of Hoosiers here on RS, but not everyone has seen this thread or is aware of it.

Hoping more will pop in here, now that there's been more activity and responses.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Racinbob

Already posted in this thread but I figured I'd just add that I'm typing this as I sit in Walkerton, IN. Not permanently back home again but will be soon. Loving the vacation here. :)  

• Like 1

ztnoo

Thanks Racinbob !

wavetowel2.gif

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hi Steve in O'Fallon...Hi Steve in Gas City...Hi Steve in Elgin.  Don't believe any of those ackrinoms(sp), I've met a lot of very nice people that are associated with these tractors in more states then just the ones that surround Illinois.  Met a lot of nice people in Illinois also.  Got to meet Ztnoo at Mentone last April, and hopefully see him again at Scott's M&G.  Remember, I was around here before there were states.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

RedRanger
38 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Hi Steve in O'Fallon...Hi Steve in Gas City...Hi Steve in Elgin.  Don't believe any of those ackrinoms(sp), I've met a lot of very nice people that are associated with these tractors in more states then just the ones that surround Illinois.  Met a lot of nice people in Illinois also.  Got to meet Ztnoo at Mentone last April, and hopefully see him again at Scott's M&G.  Remember, I was around here before there were states.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

...and socks.

• Like 1

ztnoo
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Remember, I was around here before there were states.

1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

...and socks.

Ja ..... zelfs voordat klompen!
(Yes.....even before wooden shoes!)

• Like 2