Uk Nick

316 ( as US 416) with onan-oil light

Uk Nick

Hi

Have just got a 316-8 mowed the lawn and then ran out of petrol just as it was getting dusk .

Now it won't start.

What I have noticed that I did not before is that when you turn the ignition on the oil light comes on.

I have looked up the manual which says that on a 312 and 310 if the oil is low the engine won't start.

Is that the same with the 316-the manual shows that it has an oil  light but isn't specific about what its for( pressure or low oil)

My question is ,on a 316 is the oil light on when you turn the ignition on ,then goes off as the engine fires up and it gets oil pressure , or if the light is on when the ignition is turned on ,( and the engine is short of oil) the engine will turn over but not start ( as mine does).

The oil level is just above the minimum on mine at present.

Any help much appreciated.

Nick

woodchuckfarmer

Add some oil and see what happens. It just might start.

Edited by woodchuckfarmer
  • Like 1

benji756

If it was running and ran out of gas ,then you added gas and it won't start check to see if you are getting gas to the carb. On my 520h the oil light comes on when I turn the key on then goes out when the motor starts.

doc724

If you run out of gas in one of these Onan's it does take more cranks than normal to get all the fuel lines and filter filled.  Choke it to increase the vacuum and crank-10-15 seconds of crank and then give the starter motor a little rest.  Repeat.  A couple of cycles of this and it will fire right up.

• Like 1

N3PUY

Disengage the PTO :techie-eureka:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Tinman1962
      By Tinman1962
      Recently got hold of a 656 it's has a "newer" 61/2 Briggs on it I don't believe that's right any ideas about that
    • Little Red Horse
      By Little Red Horse
      Hey all. I have a Electro 12 with a factory belly blade. It runs* and drives. I had used it to grade my driveway the last 6 yrs. Having moved I'm looking at my options on storing it or selling it. Frankly I have no idea what it is worth. I watched "ISaveTractors" video on 5 things to do with a new to you wheel horse/12hp kohler. (When i got it 6yrs ago) And went thru and did the adjustments and replaced the parts mentioned. It has been a good strong tractor for me until around July of this year. (2023)
      *Around July it started dying after running 20-30min. I replaced the carb (Chinese Amazon purchase) with one from isavetractors web site. That seemed to help it idle smoother(the old carbs jets wouldnt adjust), but it still dies at around 20-30min.
      So I've got 2 questions. 
      1. What is it worth? (As-Is) and
      2. What do I need to do to fix it? 
      Thanks yall!

• lsc1257
      By lsc1257
      I have a 1996 520H Wheel Horse for sale.  The tractor has just over 800 hours on it.  It comes with a 48 inch deck.  The deck is a 1995 and has over 1,500 hours on it, as it came brand new with my 312-8 that I sold several years ago.  This 520-H has the swept front axle so it can handle a 60 inch deck.  I just replaced the battery and the deck belt this summer.  The engine is a 20HP Onan and it starts right up but requires the full choke.  The transmission is an Eaton 1100-062, hydrostatic.  The deck is in rough shape but the spindles appear to be in good working order.  The right rear tire has some cracking.  The original operator's manual for the 520H is included, as is the original operating and maintenance instructions for the deck, plus the installation instructions for the deck.  Also included is a new PTO belt and several miscellaneous deck wheels and rollers.  Additional pictures available upon request.  Asking $500.

• 850ford
      By 850ford
      I am looking for a replacement Kohler for a 1980 c165,it is cradle mounted.
      Will a standard mount Kohler work, if I remove the cradle?
       I am located in Massachusetts 
        Thanks
    • BrianStasC-101
      By BrianStasC-101
      Hello all. I am looking for suggestions on adapting the pto from my C series tractor to a harbor freight predator 420 13hp engine. I know the predator motors are a controversial topic however it is the route I have chosen for this particular machine. The intent was to mostly use it for plowing so no PTO required but it would be handy to have. Looking to hear from someone that has successfully done the swap that may offer any advice before I attempt to transfer it over. Just looking for any general pointers that will help me along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible.