DorkFish

42" Side discharge deck - 1979 C-161

DorkFish

Well, Toro's parts lookup turned out to be as shoddy as I expected it to be.  Looked up both belts for this deck and bought them from a local dealer and they are wrong.  Drive belt is a few inches too long and the belt that goes between the three spindles is about 10 inches too long.  I suppose I'll have to break out the twine and custom measure everything.  Deck tag is missing but model # 92-42MS01 would be the correct model for this tractor and as far as i know it's original.  Anyone else have this problem??

WH_deck.jpg

Edited by DorkFish

slammer302

I could be wrong but the middle spindle pulley on your deck looks to be on upside down the small pulley should be facing down at least thats how both of mine are.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The belt numbers and dimensions have been added to this page

Garry

DorkFish
7 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

I could be wrong but the middle spindle pulley on your deck looks to be on upside down the small pulley should be facing down at least thats how both of mine are.

Yeah i noticed that.  Not nearly enough of a difference to make up for the extra 10+ inches of belt though, lol.

3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

That's the same part number I bought for the drive belt.  It's a few inches too big.

Edited by DorkFish

gwest_ca

Garry

Don't know what to say other than measure the belt they gave you to see if it is 103".

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/94-2501/

DorkFish
18 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Don't know what to say other than measure the belt they gave you to see if it is 103".

Garry,

Now that I think about it, if the deck pulley is on backwards, its driving the smaller side, so reversing it should take up some slack.  Hopefully that works and the only belt I'll have to do custom is the deck crossover belt.  Thanks for the info!

DorkFish

Well now I look up the parts diagram for this deck and it shows the pulley goes with the larger side down... this makes no sense.  This deck is really starting to aggravate me.

19R20009.gif

gwest_ca

Garry

The parts list is shared with the 48" SD deck and the pulleys are all different.

Pulley sizes are governed by the length of the blades and therfore tip speed. They should max out at about 19,200 feet per minute if you have a photo tachometer.

Would think the spindle pulleys should be all the same diameter.

Does one of the center pulley diameters match the outer spindle pulley diameters? That is the one I would use.

Garry

There was a change made to the nut that holds the pulley on.

Remove the Woodruff key and see if the pulley will spin freely on the shaft. May have to file off a burr or two. Once that is accomplished coat the shaft and pulley with Never-seize and drop it on. Get a regular nut and common lockwasher and torque it down. Since the Woodruff key and Nylock nut has been eliminated the natural direction of rotation will keep the nut tight and the next time it needs to come apart it should not be seized which is more often than not a problem.

Garry

DorkFish
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

The parts list is shared with the 48" SD deck and the pulleys are all different.

Pulley sizes are governed by the length of the blades and therfore tip speed. They should max out at about 19,200 feet per minute if you have a photo tachometer.

Would think the spindle pulleys should be all the same diameter.

Does one of the center pulley diameters match the outer spindle pulley diameters? That is the one I would use.

Garry

There was a change made to the nut that holds the pulley on.

Remove the Woodruff key and see if the pulley will spin freely on the shaft. May have to file off a burr or two. Once that is accomplished coat the shaft and pulley with Never-seize and drop it on. Get a regular nut and common lockwasher and torque it down. Since the Woodruff key and Nylock nut has been eliminated the natural direction of rotation will keep the nut tight and the next time it needs to come apart it should not be seized which is more often than not a problem.

Garry

Garry,

The smaller pulley is the one that's the same size as the other two deck pulleys, which is exactly what made me wonder if it was indeed upside down.  I took it off and it wasn't seized up, so I guess I will flip it over and try your suggestion with the lockwasher.  The keyway is pretty buggered up anyway.

On another note:  I was looking through the parts list again and noticed there's two crossover belts listed: 1594 (which is what I got) and a 6738.  Looks like the latter is much smaller, so that must be the one that I need.  I was originally using RCPW's website to find parts, and only the 1594 is listed on their site.

What a goofy deal...

gwest_ca

Go back and look at the parts list. There are 2 columns on the right of each page. One shows the quantities for the 42" in deck and the other for the 48". The 1594 is for the 48" deck.

The 6738 you need is 1/2" x 86"

The nut required for the pulley is just a standard non-locking nut.

Garry

pacer

I had a deck that had the top pulley smaller ... cant exactly remember what it was -- maybe a 42" RD?

If it wasnt raining cats and dogs right now I have a 42" SD I could check but..... maybe later.

Edited by pacer

gwest_ca
2 hours ago, DorkFish said:

Garry,

The smaller pulley is the one that's the same size as the other two deck pulleys, which is exactly what made me wonder if it was indeed upside down.  I took it off and it wasn't seized up, so I guess I will flip it over and try your suggestion with the lockwasher.  The keyway is pretty buggered up anyway.

On another note:  I was looking through the parts list again and noticed there's two crossover belts listed: 1594 (which is what I got) and a 6738.  Looks like the latter is much smaller, so that must be the one that I need.  I was originally using RCPW's website to find parts, and only the 1594 is listed on their site.

What a goofy deal...

The belt you were looking at was item #1 in the illustration.

Now go to the bottom of the parts list and you will see another item #1 which is for the 42" SD deck.

This is a problem with the shared parts lists. On line there is no way to identify what fits what.

Not hard to tell where Toro got their info. There is nothing better than an original parts list.

Garry

• Like 1

pacer

OK, my memory is probably faulty (the case lately) Rain let up a bit and I went and ckd my 42" SD  - and, the small pulley is down. This deck is pristine and I dont think its been messed with.

oldredrider

From my experience,  the larger pulley should be up. The smaller pulley matches the two outer spindle pulleys in size.

DorkFish

Well I flipped the pulley over and did away with the woodruff key and finally got the right belt on it.  Greased the spindles, adjusted the deck to level it out and got the yard mowed FINALLY.  Seems like it did just fine.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Edited by DorkFish
  • Like 1