WHX??

Need a new horse hauler

WHX??

Hey guys

Startin to get ready to head to the big show and one of those things involves a new trailer. I'm going with an enclosed one most likely with a v nose. I plan on putting a  1000 lb motorcycle up front with two suburbans to get around the show on plus room for @squonk 's RJ for the return trip. Would also need room for other crap like camping gear and whatnot and whatever stuff I see at the show I think I can't live without. So I am thinking something in the 12 or 14 ft range in the 3000 lb range. Thinking I would need more floor area than weight capacity.  I will be pulling it with my 95 GMC 2500 light 3/4 ton truck. I'm  not wired for electric brakes but could be easily done. Will be using it for winter horse storage at home....cheaper than a new barn!

Comments, ideas, suggestions, pics of yours??

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

I'm thinking you may want to go with a heavier axle. Say a 5k or even a 7k. With your Bike, a couple of tractors and ?? you'll be close to maxed out.  You've got plenty of truck. :)

• Like 3

Shynon

Here's mine 2014 RC 16ft tandem bought in the Cheesehead :ychain:  state. I was looking at a 14 ft. single and if you do the math you are pushing the weight limits, also tandem will ride a lot nicer. I can haul 6 tractors, have e track down both sides and strap tractor tires down, Herculiner rolled on floor, two roof vents installed, Radio, insulated ceiling. I bought new as most used trailers in my area seem to be high priced compared to new. :twocents-02cents:

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

• Like 9

squonk

Go as big as practical and what you can afford.  Save room for pie! :)

• Like 7

WHX??

Thanks guys prolly will steer towards a tandem Tom... gonna be the first and last so might as well do it right. Is that the one you had at Portage last year?? Tracks for scoot & horse tie down are a top priority. Just in case you wanna trailer out to Sturgis some year. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::wacko::wacko::wacko: Where did you get it?  Don't ever plan on using on salt roads so should last. I did kick the tires on on few used ones so far and while the price was right they were pretty rusted up. 

Maybe I should go to 16 ft...put in a pie rack & propane fired oven for baking them Mike!!

Not shopping for price more that what the he double hockey sticks I want.

• Like 4

squonk

Hook up the electric brakes too! 721108002avatar.gif

• Like 2

stevebo

I had a 95' pace 6x12 tandem that I put a lot of work into. I used it to store 4 small roundies but that is it. I would look at a 7' wide or 8' by 14 or 16. The 6x12 is too small for what you want. I sold the 6x12 for good money imo. I picked up a 7 x 14' open PJ trailer new. 

photo 2 (4).JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3 (4).JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

• Like 4

WHX??
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Hook up the electric brakes too! 721108002avatar.gif

Truck is all prewired for it would just need a controller.

• Like 1

jimt1971

I currently have a 28ft enclosed trailer that we use for going to overnight shows. We have A/C radio beds all the good stuff. But for the local one day shows and monthly pulling I am waiting for my new 16ft enclosed dual axle trailer. The difference between new and used trailers here are roughly $1000 dollars and you do not know how they towed the trailer.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Love my 14' PJ open trailer. I went with the bi-fold gate, it gives you an un-obstructed view behind you.

newtrailer2.jpg

20141115_104659.jpg

pullingview.jpg

• Like 6

can whlvr

I have been in construction for many years,i have pulled many,many trailers,all kinds up to 25 tonne floats,i agree get the tandem,for a few reasons,they ride nicer,more payload,and if you get a flat you can get to a safe place to repair it,not on the side of a busy interstate,if you can afford it I would look at aluminum trailers,lighter to pull,and wont rust,they do oxidize but it takes years and many miles,and with a trailer that big brakes on all 4 tires is a must,and yes you have plenty of truck for a 16 footer,especially if you go aluminum,good trailer hunting

WHX??
13 hours ago, can whlvr said:

I would look at aluminum trailers,

Agreed Don, good points

Like this one, not quite a Grover (usd)  more than it's steel counterpart. Probaly worth it the way they salt the roads here in the winter. All my utility trailers, even the ones with powderr coat are nasty from it. The one little 6x10 aluminum one I have is oxidized but still sound. Since I am done hauling bikes to shows in the winter I told myself this new one gets parked in the winter but I know how far that would last. I'd see a horse somewhere in MN I need to rustle in January and off we go!! Throw a heater & some tip ups in it and do some hard water fishing while we're there....

19200DC6-26C1-483F-818F-C558D0E431E4_2.jpg

19200DC6-26C1-483F-818F-C558D0E431E4_3.jpg

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 1