Chuck...

Toro wheel horse 520lxi clean up

stevebo

Great work on this machine. I restored mine (not like you are doing) but overall mine is nice and clean now. 

Chuck...
13 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Great work on this machine. I restored mine (not like you are doing) but overall mine is nice and clean now. 

Thanks still kinda winging it but it's been fun so far

Chuck...

Well I had a final inspection before I put the fenders back on

She said it passed

20160311_163147_zpsvb8iyt4t.jpg

The fenders cleaned up real nice I think they are from a newer Xi tractor.  I had to fix one of the wires so the rear lights would work.  But that wasn't to serious.  

20160314_111028_zpsrcmtb3cn.jpg

Here is a quick shot of the other 520lxi that came with the package deal. Shows how good of shape the other one is.    20160314_111035_zpsuyxtt8rd.jpg.  

Then one more shot before the rear end gets covered up

20160314_101457_zpsakqqbngy.jpg

Fenders bolted down seat on ready for first test drive.   One little tip before you put the fenders on make sure you put the little bolt holder thing for the break pedal on before you install the fenders.  I almost made that mistake lol.  Pretty sure you would have to remove the fenders to get that piece on and it's like the last thing you would do.

20160314_115418_zps4xzq3bta.jpg 

Ready for test drive.  

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 5

Chuck...

I did a little more cleaning.  I pulled the rims off and cleaned them off, installed a new fuel filter, had to change a light bulb on the dash for the fuel gauge.  Then I took it out for the first test drive. 

20160314_115940_zpsogtzldyn.jpg

One more view I am pretty happy at the way it's turning out.   You can see the the hole in the muffler.  That's the next issue I need to deal with.  Can't believe how much they want for a new muffler.

20160314_115928_zpszzyhye6r.jpg

20160314_115950_zps04ibxhop.jpg

Now on to the front of the tractor

Thanks for looking

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 3

Strother

Chuck, Are you going to sell the 60" Mower deck?  I am interested in it if it is in decent condition.

Edited by Strother
misspelled name

Chuck...
On Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Strother said:

Chuck, Are you going to sell the 60" Mower deck?  I am interested in it if it is in decent condition.

The deck is in average shape but I plan on selling it as a package or at least with one tractor with it.  I am already short one mower deck.  The other tractor I bought they told me that they didn't buy the deck when they bought it new just a snowblower.  

Chuck...

Well I couldn't believe how much money they charge for a new muffler costs.  Like $400 ish for some reason so I figured I would patch the one I have.  

Here it is pulled off the motor ready to cut open

20160314_131215_zpsbz7m1la6.jpg

I cut the hole out of the muffler with some good margins.  I used a grinder with a cut of wheel.  Worked well then I cleaned the muffler out one of the baffles was broken.  

20160315_120511_zps8zsgockw.jpg

One of the local muffler shops left me dig threw there scrap pile and I found a 1 ft piece of 4 inch exhaust pipe perfect.  I cut out about 1/3 of it and welded over the hole in cut.   My welder was kinda big for what I was doing with it but it worked.

20160315_123042_zpsuhsexhdm.jpg

Then here it is bolted back on the engine good as new.  Started it up sounds good I didn't see any leaks or anything I took it outside when it was cold thinking I could see the leaks better.

20160315_124224_zpsvcx7lsli.jpg

Coming along nicely 

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 4

ferguson65

You're doing a hell of a job winging it Chuck!  Looks like you've also got a pretty well set up shop behind you.  I need to get moving on my hubs.  But I can't get more than on week out of the grass right now or I'll need to call somebody with a haybine!

Chuck...
12 hours ago, ferguson65 said:

You're doing a hell of a job winging it Chuck!  Looks like you've also got a pretty well set up shop behind you.  I need to get moving on my hubs.  But I can't get more than on week out of the grass right now or I'll need to call somebody with a haybine!

Thanks shop as been a few years in the making.  I almost have my work/Welding bench finished up (it's the red bench with the red tool box built into it) have it on hold until I finish up the 520lxi.   My plan was to buy a mill with the money from fixing the 5xi's up.    

I still have the snowblower on my tractor prolly take it off this week.  The grass is finally starting to green up around here.

Thanks for looking 

Edited by Chuck...

Chuck...

I took the tires off.  Then cleaned the rims.  The front end of the tractor looks like it hasn't seen a grease gun sense maybe back in 99.

I didn't take the spindles out but I pumped grease in it until clean grease came out on both sides.  It took like a whole tube before clean grease finally came out.   When I took the front wheels off I looked at the bearing and what not everything looked good just dirty.

Here is before a installed the muffler

20160318_075941_zpsv9e4lqrj.jpg

Then next box of parts came in.  A few  ore odds and ends.  A few parts for the mower deck and what not.    I ordered a new battery tray mostly because the old one was kinda rusty.  Figured if I replaced that part then it would be for the most part rust free.  Although once it's back together you can't see that part.

20160408_111155_zpsa786rmub.jpg

Well I got the muffler back on and took the front of the tractor apart to replace the battery tray.  Cleaning everything along the way.   It's a pretty heavy duty unit as you can prolly tell by this point.

20160408_113103_zpsmwuetv5z.jpg

I cleaned all of the front attach-a-matic stuff to.  The pins where a little corroded.  Here she is after I got the battery tray replaced along with the new battery hold downs and covers.  Then I started to put the front hood supports back together

20160408_125636_zpsklicge59.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Chuck...

Next I put the hood back on.  

20160408_130841_zpsjccogibe.jpg

Then the bumper was next

20160408_132350_zpswhtd4she.jpg

And the front grill

20160408_133202_zpsardu59al.jpg

Almost finished 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

That bumper must be a freak of nature because like my Dxi most I see are broken,cracked or completely missing,Jeff.

IMAG1945.jpg

• Like 1

Chuck...
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That bumper must be a freak of nature because like my Dxi most I see are broken,cracked or completely missing,Jeff.

IMAG1945.jpg

Funny that's one of the few parts they choose to make plastic.  I have two other 520LXI's they both have the bumper on them still one is pretty nice the other has a few scratches and scuffs on it.  Does your DXI run or you just changing the battery on it.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Sadly I bought the Dxi with 282 hrs not running with the hopes of it being a cheap and/or easy fix which at the moment hasn't been either yet, but I'm still hoping, I cleaned up the 236 hr 520H I got the same day so I could get it mowing while trying to figure out the Dxi, plus I have a bought new '97 520H Anniversary model too, Jeff.

Chuck...
56 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:
38 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Sadly I bought the Dxi with 282 hrs not running with the hopes of it being a cheap and/or easy fix which at the moment hasn't been either yet, but I'm still hoping, I cleaned up the 236 hr 520H I got the same day so I could get it mowing while trying to figure out the Dxi, plus I have a bought new '97 520H Anniversary model too, Jeff.

Those are some pretty low hour machines.  Hopefully it won't be anything to serious with the Dxi being as the hours are so low.   

I bought my 99 520lxi about 3 years ago with 154 hours on it.  

Don't know to much about the 520h but I think they look cool.  I kinda vagly remember seeing them on the dealer floor when I was a kid.  

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 1

Chuck...

Here is a quick shot of the 99 520lxi that I bought like 3 years ago with 154 hours on it.  Although it is prolly at about 170 ish hours in this pic.  

You can tell this pic is old because that was back when I use to have room in my garage lol

20131113_110550_zpsiszdhnko.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Chuck, wish I had that 2stage blower and a 60" deck for the Dxi when I get it running, my orginal '97 520 with cab and 2 stage  the '95 with 241 hrs now and the Dxi..Jeff

IMAG1683.jpg

IMAG2131.jpg

IMAG1898.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Chuck...
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Chuck, wish I had that 2stage blower and a 60" deck for the Dxi when I get it running, my orginal '97 520 with cab and 2 stage  the '95 with 241 hrs now and the Dxi..Jeff

IMAG1683.jpg

IMAG2131.jpg

IMAG1898.jpg

Looks like some clean tractors.  That 60 inch deck would be perfect for the Dxi I tl haven't tried it yet on the 520lxi but seems like maybe kinda big for 20hp.  Although the guy I bought it from said it worked well.

The snowblower on the other hand works great on the LXI.  This was a few winters ago like prolly a 20 inch or so snow fall.  Driveway is prolly 275 feet long with a 50ftx50ft parking area.  It's a good time with the 2 stage snowblower.  Works very well

20140404_122126_zpsukmikvlt.jpg

Edited by Chuck...

WVHillbilly520H
On 5/17/2016 at 3:58 PM, Chuck... said:

Looks like some clean tractors.  That 60 inch deck would be perfect for the Dxi I tl haven't tried it yet on the 520lxi but seems like maybe kinda big for 20hp.  Although the guy I bought it from said it worked well.

The snowblower on the other hand works great on the LXI.  This was a few winters ago like prolly a 20 inch or so snow fall.  Driveway is prolly 275 feet long with a 50ftx50ft parking area.  It's a good time with the 2 stage snowblower.  Works very well

20140404_122126_zpsukmikvlt.jpg

My '97 520H 20hp Onan with 755 hrs slinging the 2'+ back in January (first time with the 2stage had the tall chute single for about 15+ years before) , the cab makes it tolerable when the wind is whipping, used to wear as much as I blowed before I got it, Jeff.

897_1.jpg

895_1.jpg

Chuck...
17 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

My '97 520H 20hp Onan with 755 hrs slinging the 2'+ back in January (first time with the 2stage had the tall chute single for about 15+ years before) , the cab makes it tolerable when the wind is whipping, used to wear as much as I blowed before I got it, Jeff.

897_1.jpg

895_1.jpg

Looks like fun we didn't get any significant snow falls the last 2 years kinda lame.   Cab would be nice although I am debating selling the cab I got off ebay.  Not sure if I want to store it when I am not using it.  

I kinda want to rig up some actuators or something one so I don't have to get off the tractor to move the top chute. Then one to rotate the chute so I won't have to crank the handle.

Maybe a future project 

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

It's all on here ,the chute rotator/deflector mods...usually I just leave my deflector as high as it'll go and hand cranking left right straight ain't that bad, shouldn't be as bad with foot pedal motion control vs my hand stalk, BTW here's an Xi for you N.O.S. 522 at my old dealer in WV never sold 12 demonstrator hrs, $5900 and I can't get him to come down any,Jeff.

IMAG1739.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1743.jpg

• Like 3

Chuck...
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

It's all on here ,the chute rotator/deflector mods...usually I just leave my deflector as high as it'll go and hand cranking left right straight ain't that bad, shouldn't be as bad with foot pedal motion control vs my hand stalk, BTW here's an Xi for you N.O.S. 522 at my old dealer in WV never sold 12 demonstrator hrs, $5900 and I can't get him to come down any,Jeff.

IMAG1739.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1743.jpg

Wow that's clean

• Like 1

Aldon

With only 12 hours it should be spotless. Does it come with any attachments at that bargain price of just shy of 6k? Assume it comes with the shown deck? What size...

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

As it's pictured 12 demonstrator hours 22 hp Kohler and 48" deck and I can't get him to budge on the price and it does have just a little dust on it,Jeff.

• Like 1

Chuck...

Any idea what the original price was on that from back in the day