Hates yrd wrk

The new guy.

Hates yrd wrk

Hey Y'all. I've been using this site as reference while I try to get my 520H running. While reading up on this lawn tractor it has become apparent to me that this is not a run of the mill lawn mower and it could very well be something worth saving.  As you can see by my user name I am not a fan of yard work. This lawn tractor was offered to me for $600 (by home owner) when we purchased a home that sits on a 5 acre lot 6+ years ago. During the first year or so I was doing the yard maintenance with this machine. I had some complaints about how difficult it was to do simple maintenance on it. Such as replacing belts or removing the deck to replace blades (48" cut) and it consistently leaked hydraulic fluid. The fact that it would take 8 hrs to complete the task due to hydro temp light and belts slipping did not help in gaining any appreciation for yard work, not to mention the dent it put in my motorcycle riding time. (Nice enough to cut...Nice enough to ride!) Needless to say by the second year I was interviewing different lawn care companies and threatening to buy a large (60" or more) zero turn mower.

Well after five years of listening to the excuses of why they haven't been able to do our property and how they don't know how this or that got broke or tore up, I have pulled this machine out of the barn. Yes... It set for five years! 1/2 tank of fuel and no cover. It's been a bit of a challenge just to get it to run. New battery, oil / filter (2), plugs and drain the old fuel + filters. I was able to cut for about 15 minutes before it started running poorly and surging. This did not come as a surprise after sitting for so long with no storage prep. Being a motorhead by hobby and at times out of necessity I saw no big challenge here and dove in... WELL ? !!

The model sticker that would have been located on the left fender just under the seat was nonexistent. That was the first challenge. I just used the engine I.D. tag to get started P220G - I / 10955G. While this pointed me in the right direction I found out as I went along that the actual model number provides a lot of the information that I needed and will need as I go along. I have successively been able to re build the carb and replace the fuel cut off and grommet on the tank. While researching this lawn tractor I have found a new appreciation for it and what it is capable of. I believe this machine to be a Model 73502 and built in or around 1996. The decal and emblems clearly states it to be a TORO 520H WHEEL HORSE. The parts I have purchased so far have been a little pricey. This combined with what I have read leads me to only one conclusion. This is a quality machine worthy of being restore to her former glory. The issues I have experienced are simply from neglect and poor maintenance. I am surprisingly looking forward to this endeavor. I have been able to locate much of the items needed for a complete restoration mostly in part thanks to this site. I look forward to the advise and assistance of all of you while I do this. I have never given any thought to restoring a lawn mower. I'm an old bikes and cars guy. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:WRS:

C-101plowerpower

welcome aboard, just remember, it's not a lawn tractor, its a garden tractor:lol:

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

:text-welcomeconfetti: to Red Square . This group is great .  If you have a problem that is about to drive you up a wall, just ask a question. O  we want pictures.

Retired Sparky

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:  TO :rs:    B)

Sparky

Great story....if you get snagged on anything just ask here. We have a massive number of members who own 520's and they really know their stuff!

Mike.....

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to the :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WHX??
36 minutes ago, Sparky said:

members who own 520's and they really know their stuff!

I'll second that...I know some guys here that have a half a dozen or so and most forgot way more than I'll ever know!

ACman

:text-welcomewave::wwp::text-thankyouyellow:

Hates yrd wrk

OK. I've already learned two things. 1) It's a GARDEN TRACTOR.  2) Y'all like pictures.  I'll take a couple when I get to the house. Just did the carb today. Have to install it and the new fuel cut off and grommet. The rear of the tractor is in several pieces at this point. I want to pressure wash it before I go back together. 

• Like 3

roadapples

KC9KAS

@Hates yrd wrk:WRS:

The 520 is a beast and many folks here continue to search for one to add to their collection!

Hates yrd wrk

Finally getting time to work on the garden tractor. Really need to address the fox problem at the chicken coop. All in time. Here are a couple pics of the tractor so far. 

20160416_125738.jpg

• Like 1

roadapples

Hang in there, you`ll get it..And how `bout a better shot of that  "scooter":)

Digger 66

Welcome to the forum & keep us up to speed with some pics as you go along .

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti: Hard to beat a 520H in my humble opinion. :handgestures-thumbupright: As far as the fox and the chicken coop you might e-mail Foghorn Leghorn and see what he recommends. I do know he keeps his feathers numbered for just such an emergency..............  :lol:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:  Once you have completed the restoration on the 520 don't be surprised if you have an uncontrollable urge to buy another :wh:, happens to all of us.  :ychain:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Easy fix for the chicken thief.

Duke #330 Body Trap Steel Silver

• Like 2