prondzy

Anyone broaching their own axle hubs?

prondzy

I was curious if anyone out there was broaching their own hubs?? Which broaching kits are you using? 

• Like 2

JAinVA

prondzy,

The question I ask is,is this about repairing a damaged hub or making a new one?Which axle diameter? If you don't have the broach and bushing it will cost over $100.00 for new tools and then you need a press. You would need to do several to break even on the cost.,if you are repairing a used hub JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

pacer

Yep, what Jim sez except I would estimate a broach kit for that size key would come closer to cost somewhere in the 2-300$ range and as he says a press with a large enough throat to accept the rather long broach. My little kit that goes to 3/16" was around $100 and I have a problem getting the broach pressed thru because I dont have a press. ---- but, thankfully I DO have a buddy with the necessary tools!:D

prondzy

I have a press, I am asking which kits people are using for reference. Jim I get that it will cost money but if you figure let's say $100-200 for a kit that will do both 1 and 1 1/8 axles vs the cost of used hubs selling for $50-75 a set used?? It isn't going to take long to recoupe your cost considering I have 3-4 sets on the shelf with bad keyways. And I don't think anyone has the ability to recast new ones. 

• Like 1

JAinVA

In that case the prices I quoted  were for the 1 1/8" bushing  and 3/16" broach and shims from Travers Tool.I have bought and lot of tooling from them over the years and they give you the option of foreign made or American made.They supply machining tooling and supplies to the commercial and hobbyist markets.These items I looked at were for individual tools needed to do one size of axle and keyway.If you buy a set that has bushings up to the 1 1/8"  you are talking $750 to $1200 dollars.Travers has what you need for a decent price if all your are going to do are the WH hubs.If you have several sets of hubs to do then the tooling cost investment makes sense.

JimAnderson

Gloucester

Kurt-NEPA

I did a pair of 1-1/8" hubs.  I got the bushing and broach from Enco.  I used the import brand and that worked just fine.  DuMont was much more expensive.  I forget what I paid, but it was probably about $35.  My 20 Ton HF press made quick work of the job.  Also, I had to drill a tap a hole for the set screw and mill a flat for the jam nut.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

Found a picture from when I broached a keyway on a 1-1/8" hub.

Broaching a Keyway on a Hub.jpg

• Like 4