casexx18

Toro Wheel Horse 260

casexx18

Not sure if I'm in the right spot or not but I'm looking at purchasing a Toro Wheel Horse 48" side discharge mower, 260 series yard tractor "model 78260, serial #7900443" with a 19hp Kohler motor for mowing about an acre. It has about 400 hours on it. Just wondering how good of a tractor this is compared to what's being sold in stores these days? Is it worth buying considering its age, being able to replace parts, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated? 

• Like 1

TDF5G

The 200 series would be fine for mowing duties and pulling a cart or pushing a little snow.  It's not as popular or as collectible as the Garden Tractors in the B, C, D or 300, 400, 500 series as it's limited as a Yard Tractor.  Parts and attachments will not be as ready available either IMO, especially used items but some become available on occasion.

The longevity will depend on past and future maintenance habits but comparable to today's "box store" machines. 

My 2¢.

:twocents-02cents: 

Edited by TDF5G

slammer302

I agree with what TDF5G said. If the price is in the 500$ to 600$ dollar range I would hold off and buy a decent 300 400 500 sieres machine 

• Like 3

wh500special

It's not a bulldozer, true, but it would be perfectly suited to your task.  The 260-series is a better mower than the classics with a tighter turning radius and more comfortable operation in general.  They are good Lawn and Yard tractors.

The 269H should have hydraulic lift.  That's a plus.

Steve

• Like 2

Retired Sparky

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:  TO  :rs:Good luck with your new tractor if you decide to buy it. B)

WHX??

19 hp is nothing to sneeze at and would walk all over a 1 acre mow job. I would get it if the price is right.

casexx18

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying it and am looking forward to mowing the lawn this morning. I'm assuming it's a 269h with hydraulic lift, has 48" deck, and a 19hp Kohler in it. Is there any specific type of oil that these mowers use? And if anybody has any pointers as far as servicing or things to check before I attempt to mow with it would be helpful. The mower has been sitting in garage for about 6 years. New battery and air in the tires and she fired right up. I'll post pics soon. Thanks again.

• Like 2

casexx18

HELP.... As I started to mow I noticed that the deck would automatically lower its self after I had it set. By the time I got done mowing it would no longer raise up when I hit the button, however when I hit the button to raise the deck the pump makes a noise but no action. Anyone know what could be causing this, how to fix it? Before I started mowing and probably 3/4 of the way through it worked fine as far as lowering all the way down and coming back up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The CV20S-65531 shows up as being used in the 2000-2003 model 270-H using 72108 for a model number. The 2606811757 Kohler serial is from their 1996 production and would normally land on a 1996 or 1997 model tractor. Either the engine is not original or there is a mistake in the data. No data decal under the left front corner of the seat?

This list of manuals may help

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?type=downloads_file&q=72108

78260 is the model number of the 48" mower deck

This manual is for the hydraulic lift

2000 model 270-H operator manual plus links

Garry

• Like 1

casexx18

Hey Garry I was able to find this under seat 

image.jpg

gwest_ca

Interesting that Toro has the CV19S and CV20S using the same 65531 spec number. Guess that proves they are the same engine.

Garry

casexx18

Thanks for the help. After I added some automatic transmission fluid to the pump I was able to get the deck to lower/lift again. But I do have a leak coming from somewhere which is why it quit working in the first place. Hopefully I can find the leak and it will be an easy/cheap fix.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
On 4/11/2016 at 3:10 PM, gwest_ca said:

Interesting that Toro has the CV19S and CV20S using the same 65531 spec number. Guess that proves they are the same engine.

Garry

Garry, I see this is an old thread but I thought it best to add directly to this one.  I just bought a:

Model 72102 Ser 8900682  Model and serial was shown to be a 1998 269H

Engine:  Kohler CV20S, SPEC: 65531  Serial 2801920751 

Googling the CV20S and Toro or Wheel Horse shows lots of 269H.  Not sure why Toro would put a 20hp in a 269H that was sold as a 19hp tractor.  This one appears to be original but who knows.