grinchsr

Keeps Running

grinchsr

I recently reinstalled my Magnum motor back into the 416 after I had it freshened up.  It runs great but I have a little problem.  It will keep running after I shut it off.  Every thing powers down except for the motor.  Any thoughts ??

russellmc301

to kill her just choke it:twocents-02cents:

Achto

Sounds like the ignition is not powering down. Not sure which ignition system the magnum has.If you have an automotive type coil like the K model Kohlers, the power to it is not being turned off. If the coil runs off the flywheel. like a Briggs it needs to be grounded out to shut off.

953 nut

Is the ignition switch grounded? The black wrre to the Mag. needs to be grounded to kill the ignition.

• Like 1

grinchsr

Are you talking about the small black wire on the coil pack under the blower housing?

Achto

That should be the one, when you shut the key off that wire should be grounded.

• Like 2

grinchsr

If I follow that wire out of the blower housing where does it go?

Achto

It should make its way back to the ignition switch. It might tie in with a safety switch also. Have you looked for a wiring diagram on here?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Use your multimeter to see if the M terminal of your ignition switch has continuity to ground. when the switch is off.

Achto

Looks like the dark blue wire from the mag goes to a splice, from there it goes to the ignition switch and the safety switch for the PTO. This wire should be grounded when the switch is off and open when the switch is on. On a meter it might have continuity to ground all the time, if this is so you are getting a back feed from the mag and you'll need to disconnect the mag wire & try your test again.

grinchsr

Thank you for the replies.  I will look into the  ground wire hopefully tomorrow.

stevebo

buy a new key switch

grinchsr

Hi Steve.   The switch never got touched.  All I did was remove the motor for a rebuild then put it back in.   Never touched any of the wiring except for the engine connector to remove the motor

stevebo

90% chance the switch is bad... 

Achto

To test the switch, determine where the Dk. blue and black wire plug on to the switch. With the switch off you should have continuity between these two terminals on the switch. There should be no continuity between these with the switch on. If you don't have a meter you can run a wire from the terminal that had the black wire on it to ground. Clip a test light to the positive terminal on the battery, touch the terminal where the dk. blue wire was with the tip of the test light, light should come on with the switch off and go out with the switch on. Note battery ground must be connected to the tractor for the test light procedure.

If the switch checks out plug it back in and move to the engine harness plug. Leave your test light plugged to the positive term on the battery. Touch the test light where the dk. blue wire is on the switch side of the harness, light should be on with the switch off / light off with the switch on. If you get nothing, check to see that the black wire at the switch is grounded and that the terms on the switch plug are clean.

If that checks out move on to the connection of the engine plug, then where to wire goes into the coil.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

grinchsr

Have not had a chance to work on my problem yet but I will post what I find.   Thanks for all the good info.  With it I should be able to find the problem.

• Like 1

ericj

the wire not in the main plug on the ignition switch is the kill wire for the magnito. with a magnito ignition will fire as soon as the motor spins over and to kill it you have to ground it. the ignition switch has a wire terminal coming off the one side all by itself, this is the mag ground or the kill wire. good luck

eric j  

Edited by ericj
  • Like 1

grinchsr

Update.      Took off the blower cover tonite and found that the kill wire on the mag was not on well enough to make a good ground.  I want to thank all the members that helped me.

• Like 1