73gitane

Wheelhorses in the Northwest?

Thor27

Rob, Did you look at that D?  

Rob, Steve,

I know of 2 older tractors in the Port Orchard area, One may be a 856? The other is a Charger. I've only seen them in pictures, the 856? has been restored, the charger appears original. I'll follow up and try to get some contact information. 

Another option, I have a 68 raider 12/6 I'm not terribly attached too, not completely convinced I want to sell it, but I want to get a newer hydro tractor.

Edited by Thor27
correction

Thor27

Rob, Steve, Where did you go?

I looked at the D Rob pointed out, it's still for sale and a lot rougher than described in the add. I made an appointment, drove 4 hours to see it, wouldn't run. steering is shot, the PTO is welded solid, it's still there. Shame as I would have bought it if the owner was a little more forth coming about the condition. 

I did find a real solid great running 76 C-120 with a 42" SD deck in Graham Wa, and a rough 92 312-H in Steve's neck of the woods. The 312 is a bit of a challenge (broken frame and hood stand) but runs great and hydro is strong, but price was right and it has a rock shaft and clevis hitch.

20160604_154056.jpg

00404_9wCXFLhwpdL_600x450.jpg

Edited by Thor27
  • Like 3

Racinbob

If it were me I'd go for the 76 C-120. The K301 motor is one of the very best. For durability and simplicity I'd prefer the manual transmission. That does look like a solid machine and you said it ran great so I'd say it's got lots of work left in it. :)

• Like 3

jetmandan

Steve,

Others here are correct, very few horses seem to have made it out West. I'm near you, located in Canby. Have about 10 Wheel Horses in my herd, sorry none for sale but you're always welcome to come by and look them over and chew the fat. Maybe give you a better idea what model you'd like. Craigslist is your friend but you have to be fast as some vanish as fast as they post.

Pic is my latest addition to my project, a 1970 GT14. Took all my lil' Mazda had to bring her home from Dufur. They are out there.

Dan

20161016_133034.jpg

• Like 4

Thor27

Nice score Dan, I think I saw that one on CL too, glad it found a good home.

ce318

There is a 512 on Craigs list Bend for sale $ 50.00 with no engine but in real nice shape. I almost bought it but picked up a Bolen G154 4x4 diesel with 513 hrs for $600.00 so decided I could keep my WH 418A with the blower on it for winters. Welcome to the site. It is full of lots of friendly people and advice for a fellow Oregonian (Madras). Also there is  a fellow on Craigslist in Salem that sells all different old brands of tractors and implements.

Thor27

How is that GT14 coming along Dan?   

jetmandan
On 12/9/2016 at 8:25 PM, Thor27 said:

How is that GT14 coming along Dan?   

Thor,

I've yet to take a wrench to her but have been slowly buying parts to get her going again. Bought a pair of correct size front tires (turf) from Surplus Center and close to correct size pair of rear (skid steer) tires from Ebay for about $250 shipped. When I found it, he Sunstrand pump was off and laying on the ground for years, It's rusted beyond any chance of saving it. In my collection of sick horses are a pair of 67 or 68 Charger 12's, read somewhere here that those are same pumps with only output gear different size. Plan to sacrifice one of the Chargers Sunstrand hydro pumps for GT14. Engine rotates by hand but is also in poor condition due to years buried in winter snow and dry summers in central Oregon. Plans are to replace my Kubota 6000E with the GT14, I'll need the engine to be turn-key any day it's needed on our just under an acre home. If engine is too far gone, I'm not opposed to using a modern replacement. I do have a 12hp, 2 cylinder Yanmar diesel that was an APU for a Freightliner or some other truck that may also be used but that is a ton of work alone just to mount it. Have too many irons in the fire but the GT14 will live again!

Dan

• Like 1

Sarge

I wouldn't give it a second thought - been hunting one of the 2 lung Yanmar diesel engines for years , they will run forever and have a torque output that will bury any other gas engine - including a K-532 all iron twin . A buddy scored one off a heavy truck APU for free last fall - I have to go figure out the wiring on his Cub to make it work correctly . Maybe if I let it go long enough he'll give up on the project...lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

Thor27

Well that is going to be interesting Dan, love to see some pics when you get into it!  

Thor27

Okay, Who bought the suburban near portland?

Thor27

I REALLY, REALLY want a D, This just showed up on CL but timing is all wrong for me.  Love to see it find a home with a member...   

Unrelated, but I just landed a bunch of duplicate C accessories, if anyone in the NW would like to do some swappin?

00H0H_hoH6HufoCH5_600x450.jpg

00X0X_jfgUWuJv2qt_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Thor27

well that was fast.... D's add is gone

jetmandan
On 1/29/2017 at 5:39 PM, Thor27 said:

well that was fast.... D's add is gone

Looks like you and I are not the only Wheel Horse-men in the Pacific NW! Did not see the ad, what were they going for?

Dan

Thor27

Hi Dan, That one was a D160 with an onan listed as $1600 obo. Didn't last a day.  

jetmandan

$1600 sounded like a lot until (in my head) I go over all the new parts bought for my GT14 from Dufur. New HF 13hp Predator, new skid steer rear tires, new from turf tires. Add in donor Charger 12 (for Hydro pump), paint, nuts & bolts and I could have bought the D160!

Unrelated, but I've been making weekend trips to Bremerton now for a month. Bought myself another money pit. Bought the near 100 year old Theater organ from Bremerton Community Theater. Took me three trips (7 hour round trip driving) just to remove the 1000ish pipes, probably three or four more trips for rest of the organ. Plans are to install in back of my workshop at home.

I should probably have my head examined.......

• Like 2