73gitane

Wheelhorses in the Northwest?

Racinbob

:WRS:

You are living in one of the few areas where Wheel Horses are even harder to find than here in Florida. Wheel Horse didn't market them much west of the Mississippi. When Toro acquired them they had planned on doing so but it really didn't materialize. Check the member map and you'll find a few members but I don't know if they are active. There may be more that haven't put themselves on the map. Keep looking hard and you should find what you are looking for but it probably will take a while. The B series is a great choice but limit it to pre 78. That's when they made the B's a lawn tractor.

You found the very best site in existence for all your Wheel Horse questions and a bunch of great folks.  :)

• Like 9

TDF5G

I too like the 70s era Wheel Horses.  I have a '77 B-80 and B-100.  As far as locating WH tractors and parts in your area, google is your friend.  I would check Craigslist & eBay.  I don't think you'll find much the western area of the country.  Also search for tractor shows and swap meets in your area.  Perhaps you'll run into some WH folks.   And what he said, :text-yeahthat:

Good luck!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Steve. welcome to the club. best of luck. these are fine machines. post some pics when you can.

Glenn

• Like 1

prondzy

Seems once you cross the Mississippi River they become far and few between. 

• Like 2

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum. Hope you find a :wh:  in your area. :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??
1 hour ago, prondzy said:

That cause we rustle them all back over to this side Mike....:teasing-poke:

Welcome to :rs:Steve & hope you find that perfect tractor. Finding the right & perfect for yourself tractor can be like finding your better half so patience is indeed a virtue.

You can try looking in places where there are more and members are close by. Use the member map. Shipping is always an option if it's in the budget and if there are members who are close I know first hand they would be willing to go out of their way help you in getting it. I highly doubt you would not find a member here that is not as honest as the day is long and always a straight shooter.

If you do find it :wwp:  we do like our pictures here!

• Like 6

Wishin4a416

:WRS: and Good Luck in your search!!

roadapples

Too bad you`re so far away, there will be plenty for sale at the big show.. and   :WRS:

KC9KAS

I have a 1975 B-80 and B-100.

My B-80 has fluid in the tires and tire chains. It is my "go to" tractor when I need to pull something!

• Like 2

Retired Sparky

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:  TO  :rs:

6 hours ago, prondzy said:

Try East of the Hudson River. :lol:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

73gitane

Thanks for the replies! I haven't looked too long so maybe one will show up.  The comments about scarcity west of the Mississippi appears to be true though. I'll keep searching CL and Ebay. 

I have found two Wheelhorse plows in CL close by. I'll give them a call. Maybe they have a tractor to sell!

Thanks again guys! I can tell this is a great group.

steve

• Like 5

Rob55

Hello All

i currently live in the great North West. 

in the early 60s I cut our two acres by the house with a push mower I could hardly start. Around 1963 dad bought a used wheel horse with a mower deck and electric start. I thought it was Christmas. It had electric start. The mower deck was welded plate. I believe it was powered by a 3 or 5 hp Clinton engine. I cut the grass with it for about 5 years until the gear boxes on the mower deck wore out. Dad bought another complete garden tractor and more deck for less than it took to fix the wheelhouse mower. We had the tractor until I went to college. We used it for hauling firewood, lawn waste, and pull hundreds of miles on it pulling neighbor hood kids through the corn fields. We also towed and launched a small boat with it. Fond memories. Wish it was still around. I just bought a couple acres and thought I'd just as soon find and use an old classic. What is the best c series with a durable manual transmission and engine combination?

thanks

Rob

• Like 3

73gitane

Well Rob55, it looks like I have some competition for a tractor in the NW:^)

Have you sen any up there in Washington or have you just started your search too?

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

73gitane       :WRS:        I was going to say the same thing.   Not many members form the west coast. I do not think wheel horse made it out that far? But could be wrong on that. Enjoy what ever you find.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 2

WHX??
9 hours ago, Rob55 said:

What is the best c series with a durable manual transmission and engine combination?

Don't take this to the bank as I'm am no C series  expert by any stretch but many of the guys here say you can't beat a C-160 for a good all around tractor.

:WRS:  @Rob55

• Like 2

roadapples
1 hour ago, WHX61/3 said:

Don't take this to the bank as I'm am no C series  expert by any stretch but many of the guys here say you can't beat a C-160 for a good all around tractor.

@Rob55

:text-yeahthat:

Rob55

Remember I'm ignorant concerning these little red tractors, and I'm about as far west of the Mississippi as one can get without getting ones feet wet. Can any of you recognize this model? Is it over priced? (It will cost almost the asking price to have something shipped?) What should I be looking for if I take a drive out? How would this be for 1.25 acres of lawn, a little garden and pushing snow?

thanks Rob

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/5512161269.html

Tankman

Welcome and hope you find a Horse to admire. Not too many on the Pacific coast.

Here in Pennsylvania it is against Commonwealth law to ship or take a Stallion out of the state. :text-imsorry:

• Like 1

Racinbob

I hate to say it Rob, but I think you should pass that one up. It's a D series. Great tractors but as I think you'd be better off with a B, C, 300 or 400 series, maybe a 500 too. They are simpler and more than enough for your needs. That D is also over priced from what I'm seeing. :)

• Like 3

Rob55

Thanks Bob

its a couple hours out in the woods to see it. I'd have to rent a little flat bed. Does complicated mean electronics and hydraulics? I know having to pay someone by the hour for technical expertise can get expensive fast. If it runs and goes backward and forward smoothly what do you think would be a good price? Any ideas regarding the pto?

unrelated, what do you think of this one?  https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/grd/5539905830.html

Racinbob

I would run away from that other one even if they took the 6 off the front of the price. As far as the D the whole machine is more complicated. Attachments are harder to find even east of the river. Others know better on the pricing but I will say it tends to be regional. I have no clue in your area. :)

• Like 1

Thor27

Hi Rob and Steve, I'm in the same boat as you guys. I live in Bremerton Wa.    Horses are rare out here.  In the last 2 years I've seen 4 Wheel Horses for sale semi locally and bought 2 of them.

• Like 1