USHorse

hood stand cracked - Repairable, Replace or Ignore??

USHorse

the ends on each side of the hood stand where the seat support bracket bolts to are cracked and metal broken off.  Can a good welder fab new pieces and weld in?  Wish I took the time to investigate last fall after mowing season as to remove hood stand will take some time. Removing hood stand requires steering wheel removal too? 

20160403_111417.jpg

20160403_111401.jpg

• Like 1

JPWH

That should be a fairly easy repair. I would think a good fabricator will be able to repair better than new.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I repaired 2 of mine just like that with light duty angle iron. I used to sit way back in the seat while plowing a steep hill and I think that is what caused it.

• Like 2

c-series don

Removing the hood stand is a lot of work. I just fixed mine in place. After removing the gas tank and fuel line I used a cut off wheel on a die grinder to square up the crack. Then cut and fit a piece of angle iron and welded it in place. As far a the holes go I have not drilled them yet, I'm going to put the gas tank and fender support back in place to determine where they go. Apparently this is a common problem with this series of tractors. Someone here said there is a factory support plate or something like that you can add, but I have never seen such a thing. If there is I would really like to see it. 

daveoman1966

I had this issue on two of my horses.  Used a 2 x 2 (approx.)  6" angle iron of approx. same thickness  and fit it between the side panel and break-away section.  Clamped in place, drill holes for original locations,  and leave a little bit too long...cut off as your see fit.   Fit a big washer in the square break-=away area to fill in the 'gap', then bolt down the gas tank and rethread the panel bolt going down thru..    presto... fixed.   

Edited by daveoman1966

USHorse
15 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

I had this issue on two of my horses.  Used a 2 x 2 (approx.)  6" angle iron of approx. same thickness  and fit it between the side panel and break-away section.  Clamped in place, drill holes for original locations,  and leave a little bit too long...cut off as your see fit.   Fit a big washer in the square break-=away area to fill in the 'gap', then bolt down the gas tank and rethread the panel bolt going down thru..    presto... fixed.   

I am reading your post that your repair was with no welding?  That would save me the hassle of tearing down and taking to a shop.  

Stigian

I've come across this issue on a few WH's, as long as you remove the gas tank and disconnect the battery they are easy to weld up in situ..

• Like 3

Phatboy

Mine cracked on my 310 and i just used a thin piece of thin angle and welded ( my sister n law) union pipe fitter ,, welded it into place ,,lol and lasted 7 years so far..

• Like 3

USHorse

Thank u all.  Sounds like some welding is in order.

As I stare closer at my tranny now that the seat is off, looks like axle seals are not doing their job.  Like layers of an onion...LOL:unsure:

sorekiwi

Its a lot of work to take all that off.  

Since you dont have welding facilities, I would remove the fuel tank and lines, and then load the whole tractor up on a trailer and drop it off at a local welding shop.  They'll fix it in about 1/10th of the time that you will spend pulling it all apart and putting it back together.

• Like 2

Retired Sparky

To your question, yes a good welder should be able to fix your broken piece. I did a fix that. Not an impossible job for someone with the skills. Good luck.B):text-coolphotos: