Upper Canada

Bought a Grader Blade

AMC RULES

Nice :wh: score there...    :handgestures-thumbsup:

looks to be of the the older, mid '60's vintage. 

Upper Canada

Yes it is from mid sixties.  The guy originally had it on a mid sixties horse but couldn't remember what model.  He last used it on a 316-H?, I think he said.  I am out in the garage right now trying to get it loosened up but it is not budging so far.  I soaked it with Rost-off overnight and uses a bungee cord to put tension on it but it did not move at all.  Going to try putting some heat to it next.  The grease nipple fitting did come off with ease.

• Like 2

squonk

I believe there are 2 straps that hold that lock lever on. Try to loosen the strap bolts and I bet that blade will turn.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Will probably free up with use.   :tools-hammerdrill:

Upper Canada

The lock lever is free and the straps are loosened.  

I was thinking that as well Amc, if I just put it on the horse with the lock lever disengaged and ran it down the driveway all the pressure might make it swivel.

So far I have refrained from using a hammer.....I really do not want to do hit it and risk making unwanted marks or damage.

Also does anyone know what size of c-clip it takes, as the original one disintegrated when I popped it off.

Edited by Upper Canada

JAinVA

Parts tree has the c-clip you need.I got one for mine and a spare.Those mid mount blades are real handy.Just watch out for the lift lever hitting you in the knee if the blade hits something hard..Just ask me how I know.JAinVA

• Like 4

Upper Canada

Thanks for the advice JAinVA!

ACman

I just acquired a blade as well .I'm missing the lift linkage . I know I can purchase one but making one would be a good project for the kid . Could you post some pics of the bar with measurements from pin center to pin center for a overall length . Then a measurement from pin centers to the center of the bend in the bar if that makes sense . Could you use the good old American fractional system please .:text-lol: thanks

Edited by ACman

Upper Canada

ACman:  I will do my best and get you the measurements.  Just give me a day or two.  And yes I will use the good ol american fraction system!  I use it always....I don't like the metric system personally.  

Also tomorrow I will see if I can get the one engineer at work to make up a drawing of the link that can be printed and used as a template.  He is a wheel horse guy too so I am sure he will do it.  Lol!

Well I got it to swivel.  Put some heat to it and used a bit of persuasive force :tools-hammer:.  I used a brass mini sledge with some "gentle" taps!  Now getting it to come apart is the next challenge.

Edited by Upper Canada
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Nice find. I used my all the time.

I believe that's a 1" shaft. Any hardware store will have 1" clips for it or you can use a 1" external snap ring. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Upper Canada

I will check Fastenal tomorrow for the clip, as I am going there to get a new grease nipple.

Upper Canada

Went to TSC and found the c-clip and grease fitting for the grader.  Still can't get the grader blade to separate apart though.  Tried using a hub puller but still wouldn't come apart.  Tomorrow is a new day!

• Like 2

can whlvr
  • hey upper,good to see another ontarion aboard,where abouts are youi in Ontario,just curious,we don't see grader blades or muchof anything up here

Upper Canada

can whlvr: I am in the Quinte area.  I found the blade on kijiji in Whitby.  The ad was posted for about 2 minutes when I saw it and I emailed him right away.  Seller was asking $175 and I got it $150. 

can whlvr

right o,is that near picton,i worked there years ago,nice area

Upper Canada
4 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

right o,is that near picton,i worked there years ago,nice area

Yes, I am near Picton.  It is a great area with great fishing.

Upper Canada

Well after a long day at work (and thinking about the grader a good chunk of the day), I headed straight to the garage and got to work on separating it.  The top of the swivel post was what was holding it up.  It was catching at the top of it.  So I got out the dremel drill and did some grinding around the top of the post and got it nice and rounded out.  About ten minutes of work and it slid right off.  Inside of the sleeve and on the post was caked in rust and some dried out grease.  Cleaned it all up nice, added a new grease nipple, grease, and e-clip, and now it is ready for work.  I am not going to start the restoration of it until much nicer weather comes along as I don't have any heat in the garage so painting is not an option at the moment. 

I just want to thank everyone here for their suggestions and interest in my post.

Edited by Upper Canada
  • Like 1

Pullstart
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:07 AM, Upper Canada said:

The grease nipple fitting did come off with ease.

Just like any brake bleeder that you really need to come loose?

• Like 1

Upper Canada
23 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Just like any brake bleeder that you really need to come loose?

When I first looked at the grease nipple I thought to myself, yup this is gonna break.  But it took no effort at all.  Things seem to work like that with me.  When something looks like it is going to be easy that's when all hell breaks loose!

• Like 1

cleat
On 4/4/2016 at 8:11 PM, Upper Canada said:

Yes, I am near Picton.  It is a great area with great fishing.

I bought a C160, 2 42" decks in bad shape, a single stage blower, tiller from close to Picton 2 years ago then last year I bought a 416H with 48" deck and bagger from the same guy.

Same guy had a 520 for sale as well but I did not buy that.

Upper Canada
34 minutes ago, cleat said:

I bought a C160, 2 42" decks in bad shape, a single stage blower, tiller from close to Picton 2 years ago then last year I bought a 416H with 48" deck and bagger from the same guy.

Same guy had a 520 for sale as well but I did not buy that.

I am looking for a tiller as well if you ever want to sell yours or know of where I can buy one.  I found one in Quebec a while ago while visiting there but had no way of getting it home that visit.  Could also use a sleeve hitch too....lol!  

A guy I work with got a C-195 with a 60 inch deck out of Picton.  I have been trying to get him to sell it to me but he is resisting!

Edited by Upper Canada

cleat

That tiller I sold to a fellow in Orangeville because it was for an older wheelhorse and would not fit any of mine.

I do have a good one now but want to keep it. This one came out of Quebec.

No sleeve hitches though.

Upper Canada
1 minute ago, cleat said:

That tiller I sold to a fellow in Orangeville because it was for an older wheelhorse and would not fit any of mine.

I do have a good one now but want to keep it. This one came out of Quebec.

No sleeve hitches though.

Hey Cleat,  I noticed a want ad on kijiji out of Brockville looking for a mid mount grader blade.  Is it your ad? 

cleat

No, but the tractor in the ad showing the blade he wants is mine.

My snowblower is on the Brockville Kijiji however. That is the one from Picton area all fixed up and ready to go.

Edited by cleat