wheelhorse-c-161-1979

AUTO 18 HELP REMOVING FLYWHEEL, PLEASE!

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Howdy,

I bought a new flywheel for my Auto 18. I broke the other one about a week ago when a tool fell while the engine was running and since i had no screen, I broke all the fins. I should be getting my bonehead gold star anyday :)

So I'm trying to remove the flywheel after clearing out some of the parts. But I am now stuck at the point where the coupling meets the Sunstrand tranny. I was hoping by removing the 4 coupling bolts that the coupling  ( 4-53  on the image below) would fall out and then i could work on removing the flywheel.

Does anybody know if I have to loosen or remove the engine to get enough space to remove the flywheel and replace it?

Or better yet, what is the procedure to replace the flywheel on my engine?

Thanks for the help, cause i sure need it :(

Jack

coupling.png

IMG_0094.jpg

bobert94

your probably going to pull the motor to change flywheel, just not enough room in there to get a puller in there without.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Welcome to D land.  You have to demount the engine and slide it ahead.  Then you will probably have to rotate it 90 degrees to get enough space to get a puller on the flywheel.  When you put it back you have to make sure the engine and hydro pump are perfectly aligned there is a rather detailed TSB on the topic.  Sorry Nothing on a D is simple.  Incidentally the Sundstrand hydro manual actually gives good instruction on how to remove the engine, (page 27)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979
34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Then you will probably have to rotate it 90 degrees to get enough space to get a puller on the flywheel.  When you put it back you have to make sure the engine and hydro pump are perfectly aligned there is a rather detailed TSB on the topic.  Sorry Nothing on a D is simple.  Incidentally the Sundstrand hydro manual actually gives good instruction on how to remove the engine, (page 27)

Hello again prefrederi!   When i remove the engine, is there wiggle room when i put it back, or does it go back  and line up perfectly where the bolts were? As for removing the flywheel. Is it screwed in? and what kind of puller do I need?  It looks like there are holes for 4 bolts to hold the flywheel, but i don't know if will slip off or will take a puller.   Meanwhile, I will dig in to the sunsrand manual and see if I can see a flywheel breakout.  It woulda been just too easy to slip it off by removing the coupler, lol! 
"no good deed goes unpunished!"

Thanks,

Jack

Which Sunstrand manual are you referring to regarding engine removal?  I have Sunstrand Hydro Part 1 2 3 and 4, and don't see any references. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking to see if there is another I can download.

Thanks

Jack'

bobert94

there is a large bolt holding flywheel to the crankshaft. you will need a puller to get it off i have used a harmonic balancer puller to take them off be carefull to not damage threads in the crank!

• Like 2

pfrederi

The sundstrand manual here covers engine removal as it is necessary to get to the pump.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/24-transmission-hydro-sundstrand-sm-492-4206pdf/

the engine slides into the pump coupler.  After you get the engine loose you can slide it forward and the splined coupler will separate.  I would carefully mark the frame before you move the engine so when you put it back you can be in good alignment.  you should still check it however. misalignment will screw up the splined coupler.  The harmonic balance puller mentioned above would be a good way.  There are threaded holes in the flywheel to pull on.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, wheelhorse-c-161-1979 said:

I should be getting my bonehead gold star anyday

Your award has arrived. 

bonehead.jpg

• Like 4

wallfish

Well That sucks and must've left a #2 in your shorts when it happened!

• Like 2

pacer

It would seem you are a bit 'green' on tackling this problem---

Youve already received the good info on getting the engines separated from the Sundstrand. but removal of the flywheel deserves a bit mote elaboration.

Do you have an electric or air impact wrench? One will make this soooo much easier, not only to remove the 15/16" nut off the crank but also in putting the necessary high torque to get the puller to release the wheel from its very firm attachment to the crankshaft! All to often when you have put all you can squeeze out tightening the puller against the crank the wheel just will not pop off. At this point take a "BFH" (big freaking hammer) and rap the end of the puller 2-3 times this may give just enough added 'jar' to the wheel to release it, if not give another go at adding more turn on the puller with the wrench and then repeat with the BFH, etc, etc.

Hopefully it wont give you to much trouble, but unfortunately they can sometimes just be a real PAIN!

Keep us posted on your progress...

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

"It would seem you are a bit 'green' on tackling this problem"

Being a graduate of the school of hard knocks...  intelligence guided by past experience, tells me the smart thing to do is to put back the coupling bolts and tighten them. Then start the tractor, and drive it on to a trailer and bring it a pro and pay for stupidity. 

I am not equipped to to lift the engine or pull off the fly wheel.

So God willing I'll be operational again by next week! 

Thanks for the advice and help. 

And and I gladly accept the bonehead award:)!!! 

And 953 nut, thanks for the award, and thank you for your service and sacrifice for nation!

Jack

• Like 3

Phatboy

:ROTF::ROTF: haha 953nut haha i needed a good laugh today

• Like 1

pfrederi

That engine is a heavy beast...taking it somewhere is a good idea if you are not equipped.

• Like 2

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Couldn't agree more. I've learned to pick my battles. This one I'll have my mechanic take care of.  On the bright side, I took off all the sheet metal then front lights housing and grill,  FEL bucket and braces. A perfect opportunity to degrease and degung and then put on some new paint and a some new Wheel Horse stickers! :)

ill keep you posted and post new pics! Thanks again for all the great tips and help! Got a little goat farm and the auto 18 is my main workhorse. That's my little Peanut makin' sure no one messes with the Horse! 

Jack

image.jpeg

• Like 3