Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

H60 Blowing Oil

eibbed

Gentlemen,

My H60 is blowing oil out of the breather tube. What is happening or not happening to cause this?

Thanking you in advance,

Dave

---------------------------------------

L-157 Lawn Ranger

520 LXI

WH Spike Aerator

WH Two Wheel Yard Cart

TT

#1 - make sure the dipstick / filler cap is tight.

#2 - be absolutely positively certain that the engine oil is not over full.

If both of those check out to be fine, a compression ring may be broken - however, since we know no history of your engine, it would be impossible to correctly diagnose with the limited information you have supplied. (age, hours, previous maintenance history, etc.)

eibbed

Hi Terry,

You know, it just so happens that 1/2 of the gasket on the dip stick is missing. I changed the oil this week and noticed it needed to be replaced, but never gave it that much thought. Tomorrow I will borrow one from another motor and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know.

I checked the oil level again today and it was right in the middle of the add and full lines.

The H60 is on my L-157 that I have owned for only a few months, so I can't verify for sure what has or hasn't happened to it before I got it. I thought it had really been taken care of. I can however tell you that the oil was black, and the air breather and spark plug were way past being ready for replacement.

Thanks,

Dave

Michael Bullington

Hey Dave,

that dont sound too good...most engines Ive seen do that is oil from the rings...I hope thats not the case...Good Luck :hide:

Michael

TT

I guess I forgot the actual breather itself. If the "check valve" sticks open it will cause this condition.

The breathers on these earlier small engines must only let pressure out and should not let outside air be drawn into the crankcase when the piston is traveling upward on the compression or exhaust stroke. (That is when vacuum within the crankcase is supposed to be created.) If "tramp air" is drawn in through the breather, a leaky dipstick tube or plug, or any other opening, the amount of vacuum will decrease - sometimes to the point of zero vacuum. If that happens, excess pressure will build up within the crankcase as the piston travels downward in the bore during both the intake and power strokes. The breather vent is typically the path of least resistance, and all of the pressure being forced out will actually pick up some of the oil in the valve spring "cavity" and expel it out the tube with the air.

If the engine has been fine and all of a sudden started puking oil, then I would look closely at the crankcase ventilation system.

Michael's "bad rings" theory makes sense if the engine has been doing this for a while and has gotten worse over time. Compression leaking past the piston rings (and valve guides) can over-pressurize the crankcase, causing excess air to be pushed out of the breather, but it's not usually in the form of raw oil, but rather a steamy-like fine mist.

Keep us posted on your findings! :hide:

eibbed

Hi guys,

This morning I switched the dip stick from my 604 twith the one in my Lawn Ranger and I no longer have any oil blowing out of the breather tube. Before I switched the dip sticks, the engine had an occasional pop or miss. That is also gone. Thank you Terry and Mike. She is running really smooth now. You guys are great.

Dave

eibbed

Hi again,

I guess I spoke too soon. I just started her up again and the miss is back and she is blowing oil. I guess I am looking at purchasing a new short block and going from there. What do you think?

Dave

jerrell

:hide: Dave it sounds like you have a/some busted rings..

Michael Bullington

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the ranger...Can you still get a new short block for these? I have never had to buy one, but if I needed one, I would definately give $50 for one these. Just make sure the crank is the same and starter mounts etc are all the same. Both my 654 (in the avatiar) and 33E have replacement short blocks.

Michael

eibbed

Too late!

All of the 5.5 HP and 6 HP 1" shaft short blocks have been sold. He thinks he may still have a 7 HP short block with a 5/8" shaft available.

If they make one, would a pulley with a 5/8" opening work?

Do you think the parts off of my 6HP would fit the 7 HP?

Dave

Michael Bullington

hey dave,

sorry to hear about the engines being gone...

Personally I would not use anything less than the one inch shaft...You should be able to find a block with a one inch shaft fairly easy..I do know that most of the parts on a H-70 will work on the H-60 engine.

Michael

eibbed

Hi Mike,

You're right. The 5/8" shaft was not a very good idea. No big deal! I'll just keep a look out for another block. Meanwhile, I'll just be sure to keep oil in her when I push snow this winter.

Thanks again,

Dave

eibbed

Mike,

Thanks for the link.

Am I taking a chance of scarring the cylinder by continuing to run the motor with a broken compression ring?

Dave

jerrell

:hide: absolutely, running the motor witha busted ring will scar the cynlinder walls...sorry to hear about the motor going ...

eibbed

Thanks Jerrell,

I was afraid it might, but I wasn't sure.

Meanwhile, I'll put a plow on my 604 and let the Lawn Ranger rest until I can get to her. I will also try to obtain some literature that will tell me how to replace the rings before I start. Can anyone recommend a good Tecumsech Engine Repair Manual? I have never torn a motor apart but I look forward to the challenge.

Thanks again,

Dave

Buzz

Well here's Tecumseh's repair manual for you to read over, but I'd also check the breather assy. like TT said before tearing the motor apart. There should be a section in this manual to show how to do it. Always try the simplest fix first. This might take a minute or two to download. Good luck.

http://toprake.com/index.php?module=docume...e&JAS_File_id=2

eibbed

Hey Buzz,

I will be sure to check the breather assembly before I do anything else.

Thank you very much for the manual. I should learn alot from it.

Dave