tractorhogg

Why I don't buy Garden Tractor AG tires

ericj

i have a mix of all most all brands of tires, carlise, duro, cheng shen and deestones. the only tires that i can recall seeing worn bald was usually front tires or tractors that where ran on a lot of black top. i also have some older cheng shen tires, 23x8.50x12 with real deep lugs. they do real good and will even dig frozen ground, but in soft dirt they look for smoothing to bite into and will bury themselves, where the less aggressive tires will go through. i also have some old carlise 23x8.50x12 tires that are that old and hard that they won't bite in, in snow, just spin. where as the new softer tires will grab and bite. my dad when he bought his 87 or so 418-8 had carlise 23x10.50x12 ag tires put on it not long after he bought it. i never have like them and almost didn't buy any more carlise ag tires becuase of them. they have a very wide gap between the bars. brother and i always thought that's why they didn't bite in. the only tractors that i run chains on are my snow blower tractors, and i found that the extra weight up front made it necessary to get the needed traction even with weight on the back of my 2 stage blower. the only time i found it necessary to run chains on my snow plow tractors is when i on dirt or gravel, on black top they do good. this is all just my :twocents-02cents:, and my opinion and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee lol

eric j    

ps tractorhogg, if i lived closer i would buy your worn out tires and run them a while longer

eric j

Edited by ericj
  • Like 2

Bonacker

I like turfs for mowing and ags for everything else except moving snow i like turfs and chains over ags and chains

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I would like to say I wasn't arguing per say as much as having spirited debate...but as far as an all around tire the turfs on the hydro tractors seemed to do me well all seasons but with the AGs I wasn't running the chains in the garden or grading the dirt/gravel driveway then come winter on that same driveway frozen chains were back on AGs or turf...the asphalt at home probably don't need the chains but I'm out in the sod to the sides going up a slope...I have hard enough time keeping up with changing attachments every season I don't feel like changing tire/wheels too, that's why run AGs year round...now maybe since I have acquired 2 more :wh: it won't be quite the chore...AGe on 1 turfs on 1 and all trail on the 3rd ...but that'll be all on what the budget allows lol,Jeff.

• Like 3

clip

Next let's discuss the Carlisle Super Lugs vs Tru-Powers.

• Like 3

TDF5G

I bought a new pair of AGs for my B-80 twenty years ago to get better traction for mowing the hills in my yard.  Carlisle 23X8.50-12 2 ply.  Still using them.

B-80 2015.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Phatboy

Carslile true power on back and carslile super lugs on front,,, 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Jimf413

I have a set of AG's on the rear of one of my 16's and I didn't have any chains and no trouble plowing my hilly driveway what so ever. I cant say as the ride is that great with the big bar treads giving you a bouncy ride but I will deal with it cause these things dig in for very good traction but they don't tear up the surface.

• Like 1

WH nut

Tires are like beer, everyone has their preference. I like the ones that hold air.

Edited by WH nut
  • Like 6

C-101plowerpower

tires are like beer, i don't like it flat

• Like 5

c-series don

Ok so which is it tru-power or super lugs? 

WH nut
23 hours ago, c-series don said:

Labatts Blue.

• Like 1

Phatboy
On April 17, 2016 at 7:48 AM, c-series don said:

Tru-Power on back and super lug on front ,, Carlsile doesnt make a true power for the front ,, but the super lugs match the true power perfectly ,,, and they ride smooth also ,, at least i think so ,, love them tires on my 520

• Like 2

V-Four

Okay, I have a question.

But first, I'll say that AGs are just bad a$$ lookin no matter what. ;)

anyway,

I just recently acquired a 312-8. I mowed my lawn and it went ok, but I have a hill in the yard that I can only get up with a running start, (or g all the way around and come down).

What do y'all recommend for better grassy lawn traction? (yes I am using search function, that's how I found this thread. ;)

Not sure what tires I have off top of my head, but they are older and dry-rotting.

Here's a link that shows my 312 /tires.

thanks,

T$

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, V-Four said:

Okay, I have a question.

anyway,

I just recently acquired a 312-8. I mowed my lawn and it went ok, but I have a hill in the yard that I can only get up with a running start, (or g all the way around and come down).

What do y'all recommend for better grassy lawn traction? (yes I am using search function, that's how I found this thread. ;)

Not sure what tires I have off top of my head, but they are older and dry-rotting.

thanks,

T$

Before you spend $ on new tires there are a couple things you can try, 1) washer fluid or R/V antifreeze about 5-6 gallon in each rear tire with about 7-10 psi air (search loading tires) or 2) wheel weights whether plastic sand/concrete filled or cast iron or 3) fab up a rear weight hanger of sorts or all three (again search wheel weights rear weights ect) 4) tire chains help in the grass as well as snow,...  but remember once you get all that weight on there there comes a time when its too light in the front,Jeff. 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, V-Four said:

Okay, I have a question.

anyway,

thanks,

T$

Before you spend $ on new tires there are a couple things you can try, 1) washer fluid or R/V antifreeze about 5-6 gallon in each rear tire with about 7-10 psi air (search loading tires) or 2) wheel weights whether plastic sand/concrete filled or cast iron or 3) fab up a rear weight hanger of sorts or all three (again search wheel weights rear weights ect) 4) tire chains help in the grass as well as snow,...  but remember once you get all that weight on there there comes a time when its too light in the front,Jeff. 

TDF5G

The AG tires solved my problem for getting around on the hilly areas of my yard when mowing.  I used the original turfs for a couple of years, then put on the the AGs.  See my pic of the B-80 in post above.

A couple of things I've learned is that if you spin out, the turf tires will leave a bigger bare spot in the yard than the AGS will.  And when you spin the turfs you're done, you have to go downhill.  If the AGs spin, you still have a chance to get traction below the sod.   

You learn as you go.  Like shifting body weight over the rear tire that needs it.  After mowing with the same :wh: for 22 years I know when to shift my weight before she spins the tire.B)

Me and a buddy used to cut firewood and sell it when we were in high school.  We used his Dad's '68 :wh: to haul the wood up out of the hollers of his grandpa's junkyard.  The :wh: had original turfs and chains.  No problem with traction at all unless we hit deep mud, which we learned to avoid.  But I wouldn't recommend chains for mowing a nice lawn.  :huh:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

The AG tires solved my problem for getting around on the hilly areas of my yard when mowing.  I used the original turfs for a couple of years, then put on the the AGs.  See my pic of the B-80 in post above.

A couple of things I've learned is that if you spin out, the turf tires will leave a bigger bare spot in the yard than the AGS will.  And when you spin the turfs you're done, you have to go downhill.  If the AGs spin, you still have a chance to get traction below the sod.   

You learn as you go.  Like shifting body weight over the rear tire that needs it.  After mowing with the same :wh: for 22 years I know when to shift my weight before she spins the tire.B)

Me and a buddy used to cut firewood and sell it when we were in high school.  We used his Dad's '68 :wh: to haul the wood up out of the hollers of his grandpa's junkyard.  The :wh: had original turfs and chains.  No problem with traction at all unless we hit deep mud, which we learned to avoid.  But I wouldn't recommend chains for mowing a nice lawn.  :huh:

I agree with you 100% but if V-Four is on a limited budget I just pointed out the cheap easy fixes first then the AG tires, as I said with my yard the turfs don't cut it with weights (no fluid) but the 97 with AG tires fluid and weights is like a tank, and going with the original title of this post what tires are on the :wh: logo? HHHMMM seems like a no brainer AG tires on a WHEEL HORSE just my :twocents-02cents:...Jeff.

• Like 2