Horse46

Bicycle crash!

Horse46

I came off my bike today, and took a bash to the head. I did have a helmet on but it has cracked in quite a few places. 

Is a helmet supposed to do that or should it just compress where the impact is?

I have a pretty good head ache, a big bruise forming and bashed up ribs but I think I got away with.

I've emailed the helmet company to ask if they would like it back to study its damage (failure). Do you think I will get a reply?

• Like 3

953 nut
9 minutes ago, Horse46 said:

they would like it back to study its damage (failure). Do you think I will get a reply?

If I were at the company I would want it to put on display with a caption, "another life saved".  So glad you escaped serious injury, I would still go to the Hospital to have a medical conformation that it is just a head ache.  :auto-ambulance:

• Like 5

tractorhogg

I think most do crack, for no other reason, but to ensure you buy another helmet because I don't  think they are made to use after a crash

KC9KAS

Just the dropping of a motorcycle helmet (supposedly) requires the replacement of the helmet.

They can have small hairline cracks that fail to protect your pumpkin head in an accident.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Your accident just proves that exercise can be a danger to your health. If the helmet had that much damage I would have X rays or other test to insure that there is no damage under your skull. Best of luck on your recovery.

• Like 5

Retired Sparky
2 hours ago, Horse46 said:

I came off my bike today, and took a bash to the head. I did have a helmet on but it has cracked in quite a few places. 

I have a pretty good head ache, a big bruise forming and bashed up ribs but I think I got away with.

I've emailed the helmet company to ask if they would like it back to study its damage (failure). Do you think I will get a reply?

The helmet took the load of the impact. Nail the helmet to the wall to show others how it saved you skull. Do not under any circumstances wear that helmet ever again. This come form the heart. Do not wear that helmet again.

2 hours ago, Horse46 said:

If you bought a quality helmet I think they would be very much interested in your damaged helmet.   Good call . :text-goodpost:  B)

• Like 1

ol550

:wwp:

ACman

Trust me go get checked out , hospitals , bills , and the long wait all suck . But it's your head and possibly neck injury . The longer you put it off the more swelling and bleeding could be going in there . I never thought I would end up in a wheelchair but things happen . Your lucky you were wearing your helmet .:confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 3

Retired Sparky

Your friends give you good advice. Like maybe it's happened to then in the past. After the age of 25 or 30 we don't bounce that well. Take care. B)

• Like 2

rjg854

Here's to a quick healing process and not to much discomfort in the meantime.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, Horse46 said:

I came off my bike today, and took a bash to the head,  it has cracked in quite a few places. 

Yep, I would definitely get those cracks patched.     :confusion-scratchheadblue:      Seriously, If you have headaches,   get checked for a concussion.

• Like 3

857 horse

Hey,,,,,Rome didnt fall in a day.....and football players get back up......

But given enuff time......big trouble shows up,,,where a helmet was supposed to help and protect.....

Get the nogen checked.....just my   .02

Howard in Virginia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Helmets are designed to absorb impact by cracking, falling apart...that's how energy of the impact gets dissipated... That said - same advice I'd give to anyone on the ski hill who gets a head bump: Get it (your head) checked out...

The helmet? Use it for a decoration or flower pot...it did its job...

Wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Horse46

Hey all, thanks for the concern.

After two days of persuasion from the family I went to the Docs today an got checked out.

All good, I do have a bit of concussion but all my signs or good, ribs look to be just badly bruised. Plenty of rest and I should be as good as new, or as good as I was.

No reply from the helmet manufacturer, maybe they get to many??

IMG_5544.thumb.jpg.2414718b89cb7c737c051IMG_5548.thumb.JPG.1cb65ceaa470675433f70IMG_5549.thumb.JPG.85bdc516a521da98299a9

• Like 4

953 nut

So glad you had the helmet on, did the job.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

Bach-Ed

Glad to add "the helmet did its' job" and now it is time to retire it to the trash if the manufacturer doesn't want it.  Along the same line are child car seats.  You can get your insurance to pony up for a new one if you find a crack.  So I first would look VERY CLOSELY for any kind of crack before I tossed it.  But if they won't buy me one  I'll dig in my pocket; my children (or now grand kids) are too valuable!  This applies to even a fender bender.   And never get a used one, you can't be sure it is perfect.  One mistake with a car seat or helmet equals a life of misery.  I feel like saying Amen as the sermon is now over.