Retired Sparky

Bad front outer wheel bearing

AMC RULES

You made it look easy.  :eusa-clap:

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Wonder how many of the Big Box store units with their plastic bushing front tires will be around 30 years from now.

• Like 7

Phatboy

Thanks for all the pics and an step by step buddy !!! Yea i also had plans today was gonna sand and repaint my tiller as the paint is faded,, but being 36 degrees here in PA ,, to cold out there lol.. 

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Who says you don't need a hammer and piece of wood to do mechanic type stuff. I probably to check bearing on the whole herd.

• Like 3

Retired Sparky
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

You made it look easy.  :eusa-clap:

It was, because it was basic and straight forward. (some of my best work is with a BF hammer. :ROTF:. Just kidding. ) 

It's the same thing I used to do on Uncle Sam's planes.  Basic maintenance.

I no engine mechanic.  You will not see me doing an engine tear down.  Not my thing. 

(Although I guess I could learn again. I did it in H.S.  That was 50 yrs. ago. )

If I can help in some way with basic maintenance I feel I have added to this forum. 

You know what I mean, Vern.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

tumblr_inline_nzuvfnckvK1qd4gg5_500.gif

• Like 6

Retired Sparky
Just now, AMC RULES said:

That's my boy.

AMC RULES

tumblr_mnidlxkjiI1riqujqo1_500.gif

• Like 4

Retired Sparky

You guys have no limits. How do you save all this stuff????????????????:ROTF:

• Like 3

tractorhogg

I would have been leery about putting those tires back on, look a little weather cracked, but then again I never miss an opportunity to buy tires :lol:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Don't get me wrong.I love Wheel Horse tractors,but those front wheel bearings are absolute junk.One of Wheel Horse's short comings for sure.I've got 3 Bolens 1250 tractors.They have tapered roller bearings on the front wheels.Castle nut to adjust them.Cotter pin to lock the nut.Plus a real automotive type inner seal.But like I said,I love Wheel Horse tractors.

• Like 4

tractorhogg
5 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Don't get me wrong.I love Wheel Horse tractors,but those front wheel bearings are absolute junk.One of Wheel Horse's short comings for sure.I've got 3 Bolens 1250 tractors.They have tapered roller bearings on the front wheels.Castle nut to adjust them.Cotter pin to lock the nut.Plus a real automotive type inner seal.But like I said,I love Wheel Horse tractors.

I totally agree. Simplicity/Allis also uses tapered timken automotive type bearings. I go to a four bolt hub on many of my machines because it saves wear and tear on the steering sector or column, the tie rods and the spindles, it makes it almost like power steering and if used with a narrower or taller tire, lowers turning radius and improves ground clearance. The stock 18x8.50-8 with junk utility cart bearing is no match for a cast iron 4 bolt hub with timken bearings on a 5.70-10 6 ply commercial trailer tire that was designed to go on the road and load rated over 1,000 lbs

20150929_144015.jpg

20150929_170517.jpg

20150929_170524.jpg

• Like 3

Retired Sparky
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

Well you might think the bearings are junk, I managed to get by for 30 yrs.with them. The bearing didn't fail do to lack of maintenance, the bearing was full of grease.

How much do you pay for those four bolt hubs. Where they hard to find????

• Like 1

tractorhogg

etrailer has them from 16-25 dollars, they are called dexter hubs and they fit on 4-1/4" spindles on D series, on shorter spindles I use billet aluminum 4 bolt hubs from BMIKart, about 32.00 each. Calling them junk was misleading, the older ones were not junk, but the newer ones aren't nearly the quality as the older ones, none of these type of bearings is a quality bearing for a big machine though. The weight of a big kohler single (or ONAN twin) over the axle and the stresses the bearing takes in turns wears more on the steering system as the bearings themselves

• Like 1

Digger 66
9 hours ago, tractorhogg said:

I totally agree. Simplicity/Allis also uses tapered timken automotive type bearings. I go to a four bolt hub on many of my machines because it saves wear and tear on the steering sector or column, the tie rods and the spindles, it makes it almost like power steering and if used with a narrower or taller tire, lowers turning radius and improves ground clearance. The stock 18x8.50-8 with junk utility cart bearing is no match for a cast iron 4 bolt hub with timken bearings on a 5.70-10 6 ply commercial trailer tire that was designed to go on the road and load rated over 1,000 lbs

20150929_144015.jpg

20150929_170517.jpg

20150929_170524.jpg

Me likey that ^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

Retired Sparky
On 3/26/2016 at 9:38 PM, tractorhogg said:

I would have been leery about putting those tires back on, look a little weather cracked, but then again I never miss an opportunity to buy tires :lol:

I know they are bad,they have tubes inside.

Edited by Retired Sparky

tractorhogg

Thats good, I just don't want to pay 8-10 dollars for a tube and 6 dollars to have it and the tire remounted, that's at least half the cost of a brand new tire. Right now I don't have the equipment and I am not well enough to change tires.