mikeeyre74

Engine swap to k321 in a B-80 with original 8hp k181

mikeeyre74

I guess the title sorta says it all, but I've got a B-80 (1977) with the original engine.. and a friend of mine has an Allis Chalmers 314 with the Kohler k321 in it that he's junking.. the engine is supposedly still good. Is it possible, and what would I need parts-wise, to make this swap happen? I'm not really looking to do it super fast.. the k181 works like a champ right now, but just so I can have this on standby if I need it, and then keep a look out for any necessary parts I'd need, what.. well, what would I need? 

rmaynard

If the K321 sits with the crankshaft at the right height and distance from the transmission input shaft, you should be okay. Also, the shaft of the K181 was 1" and the K321 will probably be 1-1/8", so some PTO modifications may be necessary.

slammer302

I have a B-80 4speed with a k241 on it. It bolted right up but the muffler barely cleared the hood. The frame on my B-80 is a little shorter than a C series but most B-80's have the same length frame as a C series just depends what year yours is. you may need longer throttle and choke cables. 

barrys pics 180.jpg

I would use the 8hp kohler as long as you can 

• Like 1

Bert

Just a thought for the experts. Did other kohlers for non wheel horse applications have the bolt holes on the bottom of the oil pans drilled and tapped on the pto side? 

JAinVA

Bert,

No.I bought a  low hour k341 as a backup for the engine in my 416h.This engine did not have any holes tapped into the base pan just drilled through at the ears.I swapped base pans to get one with tapped holes.The original will get drilled for a 321/m14 build I am going to try.I'm no expert,just have the engine parts to look at.JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I would use the 8hp kohler as long as you can 

I've got two 8hp Kohler WHs and I really appreciate how they just sip fuel!  Seems I could mow grass (36" deck!) or plow snow (48" blade!) for days on one tank and I seldom (ever?) wish they had more HP!  Not the same with the bigger engines!  

I do NOT feel the same for blowing snow!  There bigger IS better!

Callen

Is there any letters at the end of the K321, like S or AS or AQS?

mikeeyre74

Yes, it's a K321S