Sign in to follow this  
TT

Speedex tractors

T-Mo

For those of us who are :imstupid: on these things, here's an interesting website:

Speedex Tractor Info

Also, the company's still in business, though it looks like they just sell parts, etc:

Speedex.com

Rollerman

Well to give you guys an idea...the 1st Speedex four wheeled tractor started production in the late 30ies "The B" & is credited with being the 1st one... :thumbs:

It was built very heavy & a lot like the Pond Lever steer I have

When they lost there parts supply..."they used ford A parts too...but new through Ford" they redesigned the M & other models were what they came up with.

That M 23 I added is a 1953 model... the other models that followed did not look much differant other than a hood & steering wheel.

Most used the single speed F,N,R tranns with 2 belt pulleys for speed.

There frames were pretty light looking & some of the welds were even worse.

Being that Elmer Pond "Wheel Horse" & Harold Pond "Speedex" were brothers...I would think it really (burned) Harold how successfull His Brother & nephews "Cecil" company became.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is Harolds Speedex M23 competed in sales against the Pond Senior....which would have you rather used??

I'm probabbly going to get hate mail now from the Speedex registery.... :thumbs:

pond195520032003

Stephen, thats ok, but im with you that i would rather have the horses :thumbs: speedex tractors are nice but sometimes hard to find compared to the wheel horse :thumbs:

Rollerman

Yeah you don't see many around anymore...but then Yugo's are hard to find too... :thumbs:

I like the horses much more too....but would take a B or FG Speedex anyday!

TT

There seemed to be a bigger migration of them eastward into PA. Up until about 10 or 12 years ago, there was actually still a dealer about 15 miles from me. (and, last I knew, still has one of the last models built -- complete with loader and backhoe attachments!)

My neighbors son-in-law and grandson have a few of them that they take to the local show, and there's always a few other ones that show up there too.

I had three of them and I won't cut them down, but I'll never go back to them again -- collection wise, that is.

That '41 "B" sitting out there in my uncles back yard would definitely be welcome here though. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Rollerman

I had three of them and I won't cut them down, but I'll never go back to them again -- collection wise, that is.

I guess is does sound like I'm slaming them huh? :thumbs:

My point I'm trying to make (& doing poorly) they just didn't seem to last as long as the horses.

They are still a neat tractor & I wouldn't pass on a nice one....but if any ever gets around 3,4 or more of a similiar model...take a good look at the amount of variation in them

You have a lot of Monday & Friday models. :thumbs:

TT

Here's a bit of coincidental news.....

While out and about today, I stopped at Milesburg Auto & Electric. This is the shop in my old hometown, about 8 miles from me, that is a combination auto parts / auto electric / magneto / hydraulic hose / custom exhaust bending / Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh-Peerless, and Wisconsin authorized dealer and parts supplier, "has and does all" type of cool place that I've been going to since my Dad could carry me through the door. :thumbs:

I wanted to get the 3L510 belt for the HY-2 on the 702 and I needed a piece of "snowmobile" fuel line for the little Craftsman walk-behind blower, and while I was there, my uncle with the Speedex B in his backyard also stopped in for some goodies. I actually remembered to ask him about the B and he told me to come out and see him and we'll talk about it. I know this isn't a "come and get it out of the yard" story, but at least it's a step in the right direction. So....... I'm thinking about paying him a visit next week sometime. :thumbs:

pond195520032003

thats great Terry :thumbs: glad you could get some of the things you need to get the horses on their shoes :D anyway keep us posted on the B :thumbs: :P

Rollerman

Thats good news Terry, hope you cane get it home & save it.

Been a while since you 1st brought it up...didn't you say it had been customized some?

I had a similiar story with a neighbor of mine & his 854...details to come later & in a proper thread.

TT

This one is pretty much untouched, Stephen. My uncle wanted to use part of it to make a 4WD tractor, but hasn't ever gotten that far.

He has one of the LARGE frame Bolens tractors now, and another guy is supposed to be trading him a Pennsylvania tractor for some other stuff...... so now he's talking about using the Pennsylvania (Chrysler) rear axle in the Bolens and building from there.

The thing about my uncle is, he's still got projects that he started 30 years ago that haven't got finished yet. Some of them are worse now than when he started on them because they've been sitting around "forever" now.

(like the '64 Comet Cyclone that I wanted SO bad about 15 years ago that is now just a big pile of rust. :thumbs: )