farmer

My garden for '16

AMC RULES

As usual, some great picts Farmer...   :text-coolphotos:

haven't seen you around these parts for awhile. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    Great garden, nice scenery too.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Hope your garden this year produces like it did last year. How large is your garden space?

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

That sure does look great. It will be awhile before I can even til the garden as we just 8'' on snow today.  Oh well, it's only March. B)

• Like 1

312Hydro

Those are great pics! They are inspiring me for this year,Thanks Farmer" :greetings-clappingyellow: Good to see you posting ,looks like you have that gardening down pat.:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Phatboy
2 hours ago, Retired Sparky said:

That sure does look great. It will be awhile before I can even til the garden as we just 8'' on snow today.  Oh well, it's only March. B)

Yea yea  sparky while the rest of us suffer in silence with no snow to play in:ROTF:,, i am gonna attempt my first garden this year i think,,, is corn easy to grow ,, or what is a good beginner crop,,i habe all the tractor implements needed just need the gumption lol.. But farmer that is one hell of a garden,, id be happy with one ear of corn lol

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 hours ago, farmer said:

image.thumb.jpeg.27922db643a41338efe7ef5

What is that in the two baskets on the right? It looks like beans, but they are huge. 

Nice looking garden, looks about the size of my grandma's when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

Retired Sparky
11 hours ago, Phatboy said:

Yea yea  sparky while the rest of us suffer in silence with no snow to play in:ROTF:,, i am gonna attempt my first garden this year i think,,, is corn easy to grow ,, or what is a good beginner crop,,i habe all the tractor implements needed just need the gumption lol.. But farmer that is one hell of a garden,, id be happy with one ear of corn lol

If I didn't have a new refrigerator being delivered today the snow would have just sat there till it melted.  B)

11 hours ago, Phatboy said:

Lettuce, Gr. Bean, Tomatoes, raddish & cukes. All good veggies.  The trouble with corn is, the raccoons know to pick the night before you do.

• Like 2

DougL3
12 hours ago, Phatboy said:

Backyard corn has always been frustrating for me.  Wind, water, raccoons...making sure it will pollinate.

• Like 1

DougC

Beautiful countryside and fantastic pictures. We have a large garden as well and Iowa has no shortage of varmints, deer and raccoons. We stopped planting corn because of the coons, and the rabbits chew on everything but the pepper plants. I chase em like Elmer Fudd with my 12 gauge. Gives the neighbors a good show and a good laugh.....:lol:

• Like 2

Retired Sparky
17 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

What is that in the two baskets on the right? It looks like beans, but they are huge. 

Nice looking garden, looks about the size of my grandma's when I was a kid. 

Looks like Gr. beans on the left. The two in the right are either a pepper or mature beans, like shell beans. Which will be dried and shelled. That is beautiful country.

WHX??

Those onions are freakin HUGE....nice:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
14 minutes ago, Retired Sparky said:

Looks like Gr. beans on the left. The two in the right are either a pepper or mature beans, like shell beans. Which will be dried and shelled. That is beautiful country.

Yeah, I thought they looked like shell beans, like Pintos, etc., but they are really big. Much bigger than the ones I grew as a kid

• Like 1

farmer

image.thumb.jpeg.c43fea5bb2c8df27fa8767eimage.thumb.jpeg.6ab9f6978a71fa4cc34ab40image.thumb.jpeg.f347e49eeffb27c0cbeb1c2image.thumb.jpeg.f347e49eeffb27c0cbeb1c2image.thumb.jpeg.5163c581445ecc4746949f9image.thumb.jpeg.69b368fdcad41a6167afd94Thank you for your nice comments all, I'm going to make more time for :rs:from now on. :)

To answer a few questions, the size of my plot is 50x180 which sounds pretty big, but the tractors make it easy. Three rows of beans 6ft apart, that's 20 plus ft gone. The beans in the basket are snap and broad (fava) beans. Think 'silence of the lambs' :blink:

If anyone wants to know what to grow I would say, whatever veg you like to eat. 

Last year was a first for me, barring the onions and potatoes everything else was heirloom, one or two things didn't do well but most were fantastic so this year I'll be planting my own saved seed. The varieties that failed will be dropped and I'll try a different heirloom in their place. 

I get intruders as well, deer, badgers and rabbits mostly. In one of the pics I've put stock fence around the sweet corn, that keeps out the first two, rabbits end up in stews or pies. 

I found out a few more pics from 2014, enjoy. B)B)

Edited by farmer
Ops put the pics up first, need practice.
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Love all them :wh: calender shots Farmer.  

Thanks for sharing here again.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

image.thumb.jpeg.ad8c27818f2a14aa0b314d2 

Lane Ranger

Makes me want to play (I mean work)  in the dirt right away!   I was out at my the garden site yesterday looking at the soil to see if I could do an early tilling!   Your garden Farmer exceeds my greatest expectations!  Tremendous work and photos!

This is me last year but  I need to get out there soon!

007.JPG

008.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 6

WHX??

Glad to see you have a vigilante rabbit chaser and the weeds growing up around that green and yellow thing....

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

That Green and Yellow thing is  30 years newer than the  701  but  totally inactive Kawasaki driven!

• Like 3

farmer

I find posting pics easier than typing :)

lane Ranger is that box steels you've got for bean supports, if so 'respect'  B)

Edited by farmer
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

We call them "teepees"  and we used cedar poles that came from the face of an Indiana University Fraternity House in 1980 !

I am going to try  raising several variety of  gourds on the two ends this year bu wrapping netting around them! 

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

farmer

Carted out some of the good stuff, this will be ploughed under ready for sunflowers and sweet corn in May. 

image.thumb.jpeg.24c98b36f88f69224098f4d

image.thumb.jpeg.7caf28664df6126cccf71aa

• Like 3

WHX??

Are those crawlers in your fertilzer? ....May be you ought to change your name to worm farmer!! :ychain:

Gotta ask what kind of motor is in that horse?

• Like 2

WHX??

Better yet maybe @roadapples will give up his handle to you!! Nothing like horse hockeys for good dirt & crops!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

What is looks like after tilling with the  1979 Wheel Horse C-121  8 Speed and 36 inch tiller.   My friend Steve Aker and I did about 20 passes on 2/3 of the garden on Tuesday morning this  week  ( March 29th)j   Last photo is of garden yesterday April 1st after the big rain fall we had Thursday night.

011.JPG

012.JPG

020.JPG

022.MOV

DSCN9306.JPG

DSCN9305.JPG

DSCN9304.JPG

015.JPG

• Like 5