cafoose

1988 520-HC Ber-Vac snow thrower modified crank rod

cafoose

I just got finished making up a crank rod to turn the snow thrower chute on my 520-HC with a Ber-Vac snow thrower. Here are some pics of how I did it. I am very pleased with the results. I used a 3/8 drive universal and a 3/8 drive extension. My neighbor welded the extension into a piece of 1/2 inch conduit and the universal into a piece of 3/4 inch conduit. Then he welded the original crank handle in the other end of the 1/2 inch conduit. The universal snaps into the extension giving me the flexible joint I need for the angle and also it's easy to remove when I remove the snow thrower with no tools. I can let the universal attached to the snow thrower. The 3/4 conduit has a 3/8 hole drilled in it for a bolt to fasten it to the chute gear on the snow thrower. The 1/2 inch conduit fits perfectly in the hole on the support bracket attached to the tractor. All I need to do now is make an attachment for the lift assist springs on the front quick hitch bracket.

20160320_114720.jpg.4ddb16837c70aa8e7bbd20160320_115014.jpg.d474df66ba5081c0d8b8

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

That is very cool and a great idea.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Bingo....we got a winner.:happy-wavemulticolor:

• Like 2

Retired Sparky

Now there is a good excuse to go back to HF.  :text-goodpost:

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a great idea. I don't know about going to HF to replace the parts. They just had their tent sale and you may end up with their special 0.25 cent parts.

• Like 1

cafoose

I got the universal from amazon with some drive adapters for around $5. I got an impact one because of welding it. Chrome does not do well with welding. The extension was a Chinese one I had in my toolbox that the end broke off so it was unusable anyway. I had the conduit laying around in my garage. The whole thing just cost me $5 and I got some extra socket adapters as a bonus. :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

Retired Sparky

I would rather go to HF for a universal then give up a piece of my precious Craftsman tools.  :angry-nono:   Am I right. B)

• Like 2

cafoose

:text-yeahthat:  Yes you are that's why I went to amazon and got a Chinese universal and used a broken Chinese extension. The setup I used doesn't take much torque to turn the chute.  :techie-eureka:.

• Like 2

peter lena

cafoose , like your idea ,good job on that , thought you might add a smooth ball knob on the end of that chute rod , easy to do , just a slight taper grind and a 3/8 x 16 die nut on the end of the rod and screw on the easier to use round knob , hardware store has them . keep making things better, pete

• Thanks 1