BenTheWheelHorseMan

Stuck Head stud problems

BenTheWheelHorseMan

I have a Kohler k241 that I recently acquired. When I bought it I was told that it was rebuilt and bored .030 over. It came without head bolt and a head gasket, but there were 2 head studs in it. One came out relatively easily, but the other is pretty well stuck. I have tried penetrating oil and I do not want to heat it because it is right next to the exhaust valve. Would it be a big deal to just put a spacer on top of the place where the bolt head would go and just put a nut on it? Thanks

Edited by BenTheWheelHorseMan
  • Like 2

BenTheWheelHorseMan

These are some pictures of the head and the stuck stud.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

JAinVA

You should have no problems doing what you propose.Just make sure that there are a couple threads below your spacer top so that the nut bears on the spacer and not bottom out .Try to use a heavy walled spacer.Do the normal torque sequence and retorque after a few hours run time.JMHO ,JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

• Like 2

BenTheWheelHorseMan
29 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

You should have no problems doing what you propose.Just make sure that there are a couple threads below your spacer top so that the nut bears on the spacer and not bottom out .Try to use a heavy walled spacer.Do the normal torque sequence and retorque after a few hours run time.JMHO ,JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

29 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

You should have no problems dowhat you propose.Just make sure that there are a couple threads below your spacer top so that the nut bears on the spacer and not bottom out .Try to use a heavy walled spacer.Do the normal torque sequence and retorque after a few hours run time.JMHO ,JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would say that. That stud is really stuck and I am glad that the spacer should work out.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

Is it possible that the stud once had a bracket also attached.

I was thinking some Kohler's had a bracket for the throttle cable attached under one of the head bolt/stud. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

BenTheWheelHorseMan

That could be. I recall having seen some like that before. I was really wondering if someone at some point switched the head out on it from the one that came with studs. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

What is the K241 off of? I've never seen one with an oil dipstick tube. Does it have a starter that mounts on the side and engaged with the flywheel, or did it have a starter/generator? Could it be a stud for the mounting bracket of the S/G bracket?

• Like 1

pfrederi

The S/G uses 2 studs but they are on the back end of the head (away from the valves)

• Like 2

JAinVA

Kohler engines were widely used in applications other than garden tractors.They provided reliable power for many application such as concrete/mortar mixers,concrete saw and the list is endless.A year ago I was able to get a clean low hour K341.This engine has no throttle control.It is set up to run high idle.The block has 2 studs where a bracket is attached that has the ignition switch and starter switch.The starter switch looks like the old auto dimmer swtich.It doesn't engage a solenoid but directly closes the circuit between the battery and starter.This is a very handy set-up as the positive lead and fuel supply are the only things needed to mount this engine. Works great to evaluate a newly aqquired tractor with a blown or missing engine.To my original point.That Kohler could have come off just about anything. Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

BenTheWheelHorseMan
9 hours ago, rmaynard said:

What is the K241 off of? I've never seen one with an oil dipstick tube. Does it have a starter that mounts on the side and engaged with the flywheel, or did it have a starter/generator? Could it be a stud for the mounting bracket of the S/G bracket?

I believe it is off of a cub cadet because it has the starter generator mount on side. The guy I bought it from may have told me that it was off a cub cadet, I just can't remember.

Actually, I see that on the pto end of the engine there is the cub cadet front clutch mounting plate and starter belt pulley so it must have been off of a cub

Edited by BenTheWheelHorseMan

doc724

If it makes you feel any better...last year I refreshed a tractor and it had a K241.  I took the head off and snapped that very bolt by the exhaust port.  After drilling the broken bolt out and cleaning up the threads, I bought a new stud, coated it liberally with hi temp JB weld and threaded it in and gently torqued it into the block but not enough to strip the fragile threads.  I let the JB weld set for a few days, reassembled the head and torqued per factory specs.  Still runs like a champ.  Leave the stud alone and make sure the head is thick enough so you can torque down on the nut