BobbyD218

312-A engine mounted with only two bolts

BobbyD218

Hello Wheel Horse Nuts, 

I took a look at my 312A that I purchased last year, and was surprised to notice that there are only two bolts holding the engine to the frame.  They're both on the rail opposite the pto, and the mounting holes on the pto side overlap the side of the frame!!   When compared to my 308 Kohler Magnum 8, that engine has mounting brackets that allow for a narrower fit to the frame that is not on the 312 K engine.  This does not seem normal.  Did a PO remove this engine and not return the mounts????   If so, are they available anywhere?  

Also, I'm in the process of repairing the crank seal on the 308-8 which is leaking like a sieve.  I'm sure it will bust my chops as I try to get that darned pulley off, but should I need any advise, I'll be around.

Thanks,

Bob D

• Like 1

skrusins

Are the other 2 bolts going thru the frame and into the oil pan ?

• Like 2

N3PUY

2 bolts go up thru the frame into the oil pan.   

• Like 4

BobbyD218

Guys,

I was going to wait till morning light, but my curiosity got the better of me.  I grabbed the flashlight and found the bolt you referenced.  I felt under the rail and sure enough, it's there holding that side of the engine down.   Thanks.....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Another one of those little :wh: secrets.

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

13 hours ago, BobbyD218 said:

Guys,

I was going to wait till morning light, but my curiosity got the better of me.  I grabbed the flashlight and found the bolt you referenced.  I felt under the rail and sure enough, it's there holding that side of the engine down.   Thanks.....

There are a few here that have been know to jump up in the middle of the night in pj's & slippers and go check the horses... I know one guy @Racinbob that has a flashlight & tape measure on his nightstand!!

• Like 3