Having a hard time justifying $300 to rebuild the spindles and replace pulleys on my deck.  The deck is a (i believe) 05-36MS01 on my 1982 C85. I found these kits on Pat's and was wondering if anyone had tried to adapt them to a deck like mine?  Thanks

2016-03-14 19.46.38.jpg

2016-03-14 13.57.26.jpg

2016-03-14 15.12.30.jpg

• Like 1

300$ seems pretty high is there a reason your replacing all the pulleys? I believe most just replace bearings and blades but i know the pulleys can be damaged when removing them. Been there done. As for adapting the newer style spindles as long as they fit and the depth of the blades are right and you can get the pulley sizes and rpm that the blades would be spinning right go for it   

3 hours ago, JackHorse said:

Having a hard time justifying $300 to rebuild the spindles and replace pulleys on my deck.  The deck is a (i believe) 05-36MS01 on my 1982 C85. I found these kits on Pat's and was wondering if anyone had tried to adapt them to a deck like mine?  Thanks

2016-03-14 19.46.38.jpg

2016-03-14 13.57.26.jpg

2016-03-14 15.12.30.jpg

I have a deck that's in good shape where are u located?image.thumb.jpeg.65e6c4a545ce59326fe3572

The photo doesn't show it very well but the pulleys are badly corroded.  The deck itself is in pretty good shape, good and solid and all parts there. I haven't taken the spindles apart yet but they seem a little tight so I was hoping the shafts and housings are good and just needing to replace the bearings and seals. Those items plus pulleys,belt and blades were about $300.  Was looking at those spindle kits as a backup plan if mine turn out to be shot. I'm near Richmond, VA.

2016-03-14 14.18.03.jpg

2016-03-14 14.18.33.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great JackHorse. Thanks for posting your success! :handgestures-thumbupright:

My Ms. loved the RD deck. She towed a Parker or Jackson, whatever it was, sweeper. Lawns looked great when I pulled in the driveway after wo....wo....WORK.  :ROTF:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OILUJ52
      For Sale one Lawn Ranger Drive Pulley. Good Condition, bore is tight (looks like it was repaired).
      $20 Shipped to Lower 48.

• By plantedbytherivers
      My grandparents bought this tractor new on April 14th, 1987 and cared for it all these years.  
      They added the various attachments that includes a 42" mower deck (48" installed), tiller, cultivator, and Peco vacuum (collection bag included but not pictured). Everything is in good condition, as pictured. There's an entire box full of little accessories, extra belts, etc. Also included are complete maintenance records, receipts, service and parts manuals, and owners manuals. More detailed pictures are available.

I am travelling from Florida to Northern Indiana on December 18th. For a fee, delivery along I-65 or I-75 might be available.

I prefer to keep things together but contact me if anything looks interesting or you have questions.

Cell:407-433-4705 Email: plantedbytherivers@gmail.com

- John

• By Sarge
      Tried to spend most of the day yesterday finishing up the utility trailer and getting it ready for service on various tasks that need done , as in NOW as the weather here has changed drastically . Temps yesterday hit the mid-60s but it came with 40mph winds . Hard to even concentrate but I got the lift assist cables done and everything works as it should . Loaded up the little Deere lawn tractor I use at times to mow /backup as well as the engine hoist and the old push mower - those items need to go out to the storage unit asap and get out of the way and weather . Late afternoon I looked at the yard and realized that grass had gone crazy on a growth spurt the last few days of rain/warmer weather - decided to mow "real quick" . The Deere did a lousy job last time and left a lot of clumps as usual - it's discharge plugs up far too easily and it can't handle cutting any more than about 1-1/2" at a time . I wanted to knock it down to "one notch off dirt" and the 16 Auto has my "good" 48" deck that I run doubled blades on - standard hi-lift on the bottom and Gator blades above those , it mulches up the grass great and seems to discharge much better . I cut almost 4" off the top and left it pretty short for winter - same as always and the grass always comes back nicely in the spring .

Went pretty well , the old Kohler rattling along and barely ever touched the governor - until I just barely caught the drainage inlet in the lower back yard - the ground has sunk this summer from some really heavy rains/flooding and the cover is sticking up more than usual . That was a bad hit and it caught both blades on the discharge side - cast iron versus hardened steel at high rpm is never a good thing ....

Can't believe the blades actually cut a notch out of that 60lb cast iron cover - those things are very tough and designed to withstand heavy equipment running over them .

What is even more surprising is it did not damage the spindle - it still runs dead true with zero wobble . The hit did bend the deck housing slightly just inboard of the spindle - a few choice whacks with a 4lb hand drill and a block of wood fixed that - it was trying to hit the blade tips to the center spindle . Deck still cuts nice and flat now , just as it always has - amazingly tough parts . Both blades suffered some pretty heavy damage but luckily didn't break or shatter as they sometimes do - I was glad of that . Caused a 20 minute delay swapping the blade set for some old used ones ( I always save a couple old sets) and fixing the bend in the deck shell . Finished the rest of it in the dark and it looks great - temperature dropped 38* last night and today the high is 43* with high winds , again . Glad I got it done , hauling out the load to the storage unit later today .

Here's the crazy property I mow where we rent - lot of hills and holes and places where no Kohler K series should ever go except up/down , never side hill it when mowing .

I'll have to grab a pic of the one blade that got the worst of it - held up amazing well against that cast iron .

Sarge

• By Eglijim
      Hi ,  As I have been unable to find a replacement for my rotting 52" attach-a-matic deck in the UK I would welcome any advice on modifying a brand new JD 54c deck I have obtained.  Looks like a good prospect by grafting on the lift arms from the old deck and double stacking the front pulley on the JD deck which should put the drive in the correct position. Will have a better opinion when I gett both decks together in the workshop ?.

• By Lost Pup
      I have a 42 SD Deck to repair. Two of the pulleys released one did not. The center two pulley drive spindle was cut off and removed with great force.
      Cutting the spindle as well. 

I never made a pulley before so it was a good project. The critical spacing for the pulley was the lower one ( smaller) with the deck belt so it would line up with the other two pulleys. The top side was less critical as it just just to the PTO side alone.
      Dimensions were copied from the existing spindles and the original mangled pulley. The double small same size pulley on right is for the bagger unit.
      Curious to see how the now heavier Steel pulley runs on the deck,

Comments and Questions Always Welcome.