Tvtrader

Need idler pulley replacement

Tvtrader

I managed to get though last season with a "wobbly V belt idler pulley.

Any Ideas on how to change this?

I tried a puller which only bent the inner pulley. this is the bad one so nothing lost here.

I guess I should change both.

Am not sure I could use a press to take them off.   I could cut them off but would rather do it the easy way if there is one.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Pulley pic.jpg

doc724

Spray both pulleys liberally with PB Blaster or Kroil where they fit to the axle.  Wait a day or two then try tapping them off.  If unsuccessful, reapply the PB Blaster or Kroil and wait another day.  If all else fails, put a torch to the inner bearing race.  Of course, you risk damaging the bearings.  In my experience, trying to pull a pulley off with a wheel puller almost always results in a bent pulley. 

• Like 1

cleat

I just took mine off that came on the 416. It was quite rusty and pulleys turned roughly.

I sprayed the shaft with Kroil then put the nut almost all the way back on.

After that using a pair of leather gloves, hang onto the outer flat pulley and bang the end of the shaft with the nut protecting the threads onto an anvil or other flat heavy metal plate as if you are trying to bang the nut through the plate.

After a few hits mine came off. I could then slide off the spacer, spray on more Kroil, put the nut back to protect the threads and repeat.

I then got lucky and needed to only pry the seal out of one side of each pulley, wash out with brake cleaner, blow dry, and repack with grease.

Put the seals back in, polish the shaft, apply never seize and reassemble.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4

Tvtrader

Originally tried WD, then marval mystery oil..... it's now soaking with PB blaster.

I'll let it soak overnight then try again.

Anyone know a good place to buy pulleys online?

Thanks again

daveoman1966

I cut a slot in the end of my 3/8" thick bench-top specifically for this operation.   Leave the nut on until the two pulleys break loose and to keep from damaging the shaft threads.

MULE FIX (1).JPG

MULE FIX (3).JPG

MULE FIX (2).JPG

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

What is that off of? I got new pulleys for my 520 from http://www.wnysmallengines.net, cheapest I found. 

Tvtrader

It is off of a 1986 wheel horse 312?

The engine was changed some years back.  it was rebuilt just before we got it.  I have cleaned the carburetor, changed the fuel pump, replaced the ignition ($75, ouch!)

besides general maintenance. 

I bookmarked the link you sent for parts.  Thanks!

WNYPCRepair

download the parts list from the file section here and look up the part numbers.  

Tvtrader

Both pulley come to just over $25..... good price

• Like 1

Tvtrader

Success!

I soaked the shaft all week and tried Cleats method.

Now to order a new pulley.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Tvtrader