brandonozz

Increasing Charging System Output

brandonozz

Hello All,

I recently built a 3 PT for my '80 C165-8 and am using a linear actuator for the lift.  Everything works well and I'm pleased with the performance but found a problem yesterday when working the lift frequently.  I was working a box blade in a small area and lifted/lowered the blade often and noticed the tractor engine missing after a while.  Then I noticed the lift wasn't working well and when I would cycle the actuator the engine would spudder - like it's starving the engine of spark.  I quit running the lift and pulled into the garage and checked the battery voltage to find it was down to 11.5 volts.

My question is this...... can I increase the output of the horses' charging system to keep up better?

Thanks in advance!

squonk

I don't think you can out side of mounting a single wire GM alternator on it like the farm tractor boys do. Are you sure the charging system is even working correctly?

• Like 1

953 nut

What amp hour rating is your present battery?  :twocents-02cents:  A larger capacity battery may give you the extra power you need for infrequent events like this and let the charging system catch up under normal conditions.

brandonozz

My battery is a U1P-7 from Walmart rated at 275 CCA - not sure the amp hour rating.  The charging system has never given me a problem in the past and when checked with a volt meter it reads somewhere between 14.5 and 16 depending on how fast I'm running the engine.  That seems high to me.  Is there a better way to check the charging output than using a volt meter on the battery when running?

Thanks,

pfrederi

Most likely you have a 15 amp system.  Ignition takes a few amps I imagine the lift takes a lot.  Get a bigger battery to last through the heavy use, or put a 3 pt on your D series. There are some Kohlers that had 30 amp systems but you would have to replace the stator (maybe the flywheel) and regulator.  If not a bigger battery maybe a second one mounted some where wire in parallel.

• Like 1

brandonozz

Sounds like I need to just get a bigger battery.  I might take the battery out of the D and use it to see how it will keep up with heavier use.  I do have 3-PT on the D as well but it has the loader mounted and I built this 3-PT to be able to use with the 8 speed.  I always wanted a strong lift on the back  of this C as I thought it would be a great combination with the 8 speed.  Only thing it needs now is more weight on the front.  I purchased a big cultivator and box blade with my parts D and they are pretty heavy but they lift with ease with this actuator.  It just gets a little light on the front even with the front wheel weights.

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

pfrederi
9 hours ago, brandonozz said:

Sounds like I need to just get a bigger battery.  I might take the battery out of the D and use it to see how it will keep up with heavier use.  I do have 3-PT on the D as well but it has the loader mounted and I built this 3-PT to be able to use with the 8 speed.  I always wanted a strong lift on the back  of this C as I thought it would be a great combination with the 8 speed.  Only thing it needs now is more weight on the front.  I purchased a big cultivator and box blade with my parts D and they are pretty heavy but they lift with ease with this actuator.  It just gets a little light on the front even with the front wheel weights.

Thanks Guys!

Batteries are heavy maybe mount a second battery on a stand out the front

• Like 1

WheelHorse_of_course

With the new, bigger battery, plug it into a trickle charger at night. Some new cars do this nowadays - "plug in hybrid".

WVHillbilly520H
On 3/14/2016 at 11:40 PM, brandonozz said:

I always wanted a strong lift on the back  of this C as I thought it would be a great combination with the 8 speed.  Only thing it needs now is more weight on the front. 

Fab you up one of my front weight hangers and add 3 43# suitcase weights... Just search here for classic front weight hanger I put the blue print on there as well...not making for anyone,Jeff.

IMAG1973.jpg

IMAG1937.jpg

• Like 1

brandonozz

WVHillbilly,

I like that hanger.... it looks nice and clean and I like the ability to quickly pull the weights to get the hood open.  I've been thinking of building one of those and have been keeping an eye out for some weights on CL.

Thanks,

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
14 hours ago, brandonozz said:

WVHillbilly,

I like that hanger.... it looks nice and clean and I like the ability to quickly pull the weights to get the hood open.  

Brandonozz, if you check out my thread on here you'll see the hood does indeed open full tilt without removing any of the weights about 3/16" clearance at full open I designed it with that in mind as well portability and of course extra weight also it sticks out enough without the weights to be a bumper of sorts too and like I said the blue print is also posted, really isn't that hard to fab up if you can find the materials or have it made for you, thanks Jeff.

• Like 1