gt4

8 hp k181 got me confused

gt4

I got my1965/875 wheel a matic running, and it was running great. Now when I start it up it won't come off of low idle.I have checked the throttle cable and it slides smooth, and everything at the governor is moving fine like it should but it won't throttle up.has this happened to anyone else?

stevasaurus

Just by chance...did the little clamp that holds the throttle cable housing come loose or move on you??  This happens on my 702 and I lose the high idle speed.  :)  It does not take much...maybe 1/4" will mess it up.

• Like 4

gt4

Thanks for the reply. So would the throttle cable still move in and out like it was tight?

Howie

Yes it would, but would not move the rest of the linkage to get the rpm out of the engine.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If your throttle housing is sliding in that clamp, that is probably your issue.  To increase RPM's, slide the housing back toward the dash and tighten clamp, this will give you more throttle on the lever.    :)

• Like 4

DownHome

I think I'm having a similar issue with my newly acquired 855 8hp. I can't get it out of low idle without the help of starter fluid and obviously that only lasts a second or two. The throttle linkage and cable seem to be intact. Is there a chance it's an issue with the fuel pump? I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to figure this out. GT4, have you figured anything out yet?

stevasaurus

DownHome...your issue sounds a little different (because of the starter fluid).  Yours could be anything from dirt in the gas tank (blocking gas flow), bad or pinched gas line, dirty gas filter, etc.  I would check all of it and replace the obvious first, then take the tube off from between the fuel pump and the carb...crank the engine and see if you get good quality spurts of gas.  I would not use starter fluid on one of these small engines...better to use carb cleaner...not as explosive.  Also, spray all linkage with carb cleaner and make sure it is free to move.  Let us know if any of that fixes your issue.  If it does not, we can go from there.  :)

• Like 3

DownHome

Stevasaurus....The gas tank has been emptied and cleaned out, including sediment bowl, new fuel line, new filter, even new carb. The original was BAD. The only thing i haven't done is to remove the tube from the pump to carb and crank engine. I'll do that at lunch time and see what I get. I'll let you know...   

• Like 2

DownHome

I bypassed the fuel pump and she runs nice. Soooooo, what now? Can I rebuild the vacuum fuel filter in the k181? I recently purchased a new fuel pump for my k241. But it's a mechanical arm. Are they interchangeable? I just wanna ride!!

• Like 2

gt4
23 hours ago, DownHome said:

I think I'm having a similar issue with my newly acquired 855 8hp. I can't get it out of low idle without the help of starter fluid and obviously that only lasts a second or two. The throttle linkage and cable seem to be intact. Is there a chance it's an issue with the fuel pump? I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to figure this out. GT4, have you figured anything out yet?

Well I was wondering about the pump myself. First I'm going to try and clean the carb again, and if that doesn't work then I will try a new fuel pump. I'll let you know if this works or not.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would take the fuel pump apart.  I believe @buckrancher is making and selling the gaskets for these.  Send him a PM.  The fuel pump has 2 detente balls in it.  One keeps fuel from coming back down from the carb and the other keeps gas from running into the pump from the gas tank.  These can get sticky or stuck and reduce gas flow.  The gasket can also get stretched out and become ineffective.  A little carb cleaner can fix the detente ball issue, but if the gasket is stretched, you need to replace.  :)  RacinBob just went through this and has this thread...check it out guys.

• Like 1

gt4

Found my problem why this would not throttle up. I took the carb back off and cleaned the heck out of it,checked to make sure I had good gas flow through the line,took off the one connection from the fuel pump to the carb and everything is flowing good. So put it all back together turn it over and it did the SAME thing!! ....So I ran a jumper cable from the positive on the coil to the positive on the battery and BINGO!! I could throttle up and down and she runs like a champ. So it turns out all I needed was a new key switch.

• Like 4

953 nut

:woohoo:    Glad you found the gremlin that was giving you fits.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

gt4...I have never heard of this...key switch affecting idle speed thingy...can you explain the how you found that and why it does that stuff??   PLEASE  :bow-blue:  :)  My thirst for knowledge just kicked in.

• Like 1

gt4

Really it was just a fluke. The key switch didn't light up when I put my probe to it so I thought since it was old and left outside for years it was junk.I thought I would take it off clean/sand the connections and test it again.This time it worked. Now since I had already cleaned the carb very,very well it sounded very sluggish and would only stay on low idol while wearing the battery down, but wheni would turn the key as far to the right as it would go it seemed to get some extra punch,then when it would go back to the run position it sounded very sluggish again. That's when I thought I wonder what would happen if I put the jumper from battery positive to coil positive if it would give me some more punch, and it did and ran great. I could throttle up and down and it runs great. So the bottom line..... Beats the hell out of me!!   LOL !

• Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW...that is way too cool.  I don't get it either...I've never heard of anything like that.  Not on something from the 1960's.  If it was a Lunar Modular...OK...but not a K181 Kohler.  :)  Glad you found the problem though.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I suspect red herrings...  However, borderline or high resistance when there shouldn't be electrical connections can be bewildering.

• Like 3

JPWH

I agree with the high resistance and if the contacts in the switch were corroded bad enough it may have been going to ground. If you haven't already I would replace the switch to avoid it happening again.

• Like 2

gt4
16 minutes ago, Hank01 said:

I agree with the high resistance and if the contacts in the switch were corroded bad enough it may have been going to ground. If you haven't already I would replace the switch to avoid it happening again.

Yep, I agree got one ordered.

• Like 1