Pullstart

C-101 no sparky

Pullstart

So a while back I picked up a C-101 with a broken rod.  Today I swapped in another 10 horse from my parts tractor and while I assume I hooked everything up correctly, I am stumped to find no spark.  The coil appears to be new, really all I had to re-wire is the positive coil wire, starter positive and grounds, and the charging circuit.  Assuming this tractor was running fine when the rod broke, is there something I should look for to get me some spark? 

I'm going to go out and swap the condenser over too and check the points gap.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut

Cleaning the points would be my first step. Also, put a test light or meter on the coil + to see if you are getting 12 volts.

Good luck.

• Like 3

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Pullstart

I've got 12.44 volts to the coil with the ignition on, the points gap is set at .020 and they look clean to me.  The condenser is attached to the negative side of the coil.  Is that all kosher?

953 nut

That all sounds good, how about a different plug wire and plug?

Pullstart

Yeah tried that too.  The donor engine supposedly ran good before I picked it up, maybe I'll swap the coil even though it "looks" older.

I'll also scuff the points again and recheck the gap while I'm at it!

953 nut

You may want to disconnect the wire from the coil to points, check for continuity to ground while turning the engine over. Should be shorted to ground the majority of the time, only time it wont be grounded is when points open. Also the condenser may be bad; you can run without one for a test without harming the points.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Moral of the story, "points look good" isn't good enough.  She runs!  Thanks for your help Richard, it's amazing how fast small little problems can be solved with a couple gearheads troubleshooting together!

I have a pretty good gas leak at the petcock, so I'll try the spare bushing out of the parts tank.  It seems pretty tight compared to the one on the tractor.  Then I'll pull the tins from the engine and give it a good bath!  There's quite a bit of grass packed in there, she'll be real happy when she has good cooling again!

• Like 1

Pullstart

IMG_2039_zpsusf47uyj.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsh53ir4su.jpg

IMG_2042_zpschi3gjmy.jpg

th_MVI_2040_zpsevwrgd64.mp4

• Like 3

Daddy Don

Good looking horse. Like the battery hold down. That gives me an ideal on how to do mine.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I understand that brand of battery hold down comes in different lengths.:ROTF:

• Like 4

Daddy Don

How much does the hold down cost per foot?

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nothing if the neighbor does not guard the clothes line.

• Like 3

C-101plowerpower

have you tried filling the plug with new sparks?

• Like 4

Pullstart

I can't take credit for that hold down, it was like that when I picked it up.  Literally I swapped engines, checked the oil and turned the key.  (Then had to troubleshoot...) It even held a charge all winter!  :wh: power, it's great!

Before dark and a bonfire with my girls I put the RD deck on and cut a path through the lawn.  This will be a great beast for leaf duty!