chorusguy

agri fab mow n vac engine replacement

chorusguy

I have an older mow n vac that has (I think) a Briggs 206 cc engine on it.  It runs but runs rough and may be smoking a little.  I am wondering if anyone has replaced their engine with a harbor freight engine.  Thanks

JAinVA

2015.11.13.1402.thumb.JPG.a0050e5acd706d

Sorry I messed up the posting,but if the picture is like what you have the answers no.The crank has a taper unique to this unit.If you do an E-bay search the taper is referred to as a MTD taper.The MTD walk behind leaf vac and the newer Troy built units are the same.In fact the engine you see in the picture came from a Troy built walk behind.

Sorry this may not be what you want to hear.Luck,JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA

Tankman

Wondering? Might be able to bore the blower fan, removing the taper? Take the fan to a machine shop, bore and slot for a key way?

My Little Wonder walk behind vacuum / blowers have no taper, Briggs engines, straight crank shafts.

Surrounded by woods, I just blow leaves away. The blower is heavy, rough to push at my age (and the grandsons have problems too).

Soooooooooo, we tow the thing around nowadays,

Little_Wonder_Hitch.png

JAinVA

Tankman,

Short answer is yes and no.I have looked at the same solution so that I could use an electric start Kohler.The impeller can be bored out and a keyway broached into it.There is no way to install setscrews unless you drill through the impeller blades.When the impeller is installed with the taper intact it is pulled up with a bolt screwed into the end of the crank shaft.This works because a thick washer is welded to the outboard of bore.This washer would need to be removed to broach a keyway in the straight bore and welded back to use a retaining bolt.It can be done but unless someone has the equipment and skills to do it ,then a machine shop would be a very expensive answer.The cost of a new engine is around $250.00 delivered through some sources on E-bay.What I ended up doing in the short term was buy a gently used Troybuilt walk behind as parts source including the engine.I will being trying to convert this unit to elecric start as I'm getting to old to be pulling the starter cord. JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Tankman

Chorusguy:

I have one Little Wonder 5 hp Briggs engine is kaput. The impeller is for a straight (not tapered) 3/4" crankshaft. The impeller is keyed and setup for the end bolt. Impeller, rusty but no bends.

What are your impeller measurements; diameter x height?

Edited by Tankman

JAinVA

The diameter is 13.5",the impeller is 3" deep with the remainder of the mount inboard of the steel disc at 2 inches.Total shaft mount is roughly 5" deep.If you read my leaf harvest post,I mentioned that this unit was modified to shred leaves as well as vacuum.I have a spare impeller in the shop ready to replace the one in the Agrifab.So themeasurements were easy to get.JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA

Tankman

My spare impeller 'boy the same measurements.

How did you modify to shred leaves? Sounds interesting.

JAinVA

Tankman,

In my years messing with all types of machinery,I have noticed that most companies don't make a lot of components that go into their products.I had the Agrifab leaf vac and an MTD leaf shredder vac side by side and realized that the blower housings were stamped by the same company.There are some internal differences because the shredder has places for stationary blade mounts and the impeller has additional flails. I took the impeller housing and impeller from the MTD walk behind and mounted it to the Agrifab mount.Bolts up and looks factory.The impeller I had needed new flails and the blades were getting thin so I bought a used Troybuilt walk behind.It was a lot less expensive to get replacement parts than ordering new.The only down side to this setup is that the loaded  weight of this unit is significantly heavier than one that is full of whole leaves.I use the leaf mulch as a ground cover in the garden during growing season and till it in the fall.Win-Win and I get seat time.Luck JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA