Sign in to follow this  
rwilson

36" tiller

rwilson

I just picked up a tiller today. It fits a ford lgt165 with a rear pto. I think i can make it fit a wheel horse. It was free so I can do something with it!! I was thinking it would be easier to mount a motor on top of it and just run a belt down to a pulley on the shaft. Any sugestions on what kind of HP i would need? Or any other sugestions would be good. :hide:

Rollerman

There is a member here that built a tiller attachment for his D series with a 3 point.

He used a pony engine on it....but the pics our no longer up. :hide:

I would think 3 to 5 horsepower range would work depending on the width of your tiller?

rwilson

its 36 inches wide. I have a 5 hp and a 7 hp. the 7 needs rebuilt it smokes bad. and the 5 might be the way to go

bitten

Do you have a picture of it? It would help thr imagination. :hide:

P.J.

Confused99

Would there be a possible issue putting a side load on the PTO input shaft? Just a thought?

catman81056

I made this one for my D160.

th_DSCF0535.jpg

Rollerman

There is a member here that built a tiller attachment for his D series

Tim should have mentioned your name... :hide:

linen beige

Sears has these for sale. Looks like 8.75 Horse power.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...s&sName=Tillers

Check out the WT-30 in the gallery section. It was a thirty inch and used a Kohler K-91, 4 horse power. Also there were the twenty four inch WT-241 and WT-242 with Lauson 5.5 horse power and the WT-244 with Lauson 6 horse power.

Confused99

Sears has these for sale. Looks like 8.75 Horse power.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...s&sName=Tillers

Those are pretty much junk. My neighbor had one and used it to till his whole yard up (1/3 acre) and when he was done, the thing was pretty much useless without some repair. He did end up taking all apart and replaing the bearings, bushings, etc and then sold it. I didn't have my tiller at the time or that would have been a fun comparison.

linen beige

Those are pretty much junk.

:hide: What isn't these days? Merely posted to give you some ideas on fitting an engine/clutching arrangement. Using quality parts it should be fairly easy to fab something up. I have a 36 inch rear tiller myself that I've thought seriously about fitting with it's own engine. That way I could use it with several of my tractors without having to fool with all the different idler pulleys and belts.

Confused99

:hide: What isn't these days? Merely posted to give you some ideas on fitting an engine/clutching arrangement. Using quality parts it should be fairly easy to fab something up. I have a 36 inch rear tiller myself that I've thought seriously about fitting with it's own engine. That way I could use it with several of my tractors without having to fool with all the different idler pulleys and belts.

Yeah, no kidding. I should have figured you were not promoting that item. I agree that a seperate engine on a WH tiller would be nice in some ways.

CasualObserver

I agree that a separate engine on a WH tiller would be nice in some ways.

:D that's they way the started out. For some reason it was considered a technology advancement to run a long freaking belt thorough idlers and under the tractor. :hide: Seems a whole lot simpler to hitch up the WT-241/242/244 units to me. :hide: Put it in the slot hitch, place the pin, pull the rope and go. Doesn't get much simpler.

these are in the implement gallery:

WT-30

WT-242

WT-244 (my 244 has extensions on each side, it's just about a 32" cut)

catman81056

Well I'd sell my tiller in a second if I could get one that runs off the rear PTO on my "D". I have a few parts around at this time that are going to be my next tiller project, and it will run off the rear PTO.

Anyone want to trade? :hide:

rwilson

if it wasnt so far away from me i would trade ya. What hp motor did you use and how wide is the tiller?

catman81056

The tiller is 45" outside the tines, the motor is a 4hp Briggs. I have a 6hp that I was going to put on it but hopefully I'll have the PTO driven tiller made by Spring.

I bought the bigger motor after the tiller was built or it would have already been on it. If you go this route, I'd use no less than a 5hp, the 4hp tends to bawg when ran deep.

rwilson

Well if your 4 hp runs 45 inches then the 5 hp should run a 36. All i can do is try it. thanks for the info.