1978c81

New to me 520xi

1978c81

Hello everyone. Finally came across a good condition Xi tractor. I couldn't pass it up. Never owned one and curious to hear the pros and cons. I'm thinking about mowing with this and put the zero turn on the chopping block? 

20160311_121415.jpg

20160311_120927.jpg

20160311_120940.jpg

20160311_121511.jpg

• Like 7

TDF5G

She looks like she's in great condition! 

:text-bravo:

WHX??

She's a dandy :wh::greetings-clappingyellow: ... looks like came with  a bagger to boot! :handgestures-thumbupright: I know nothing about 'i's but you can bet guys that do will be along!

danjmah

Nice find!  I love mine, the only con (so far) is the scarcity of attachments.

WNYPCRepair

I think you will like it. 

Does it have power steering? The Hi-Lo range Eaton is nice, the smart turn I'm still on the fence about. It's nice to be able to set the cruise, have it automatically slow down while mowing around trees, etc., then speed back to the original speed once you are going straight again. On the downside, it slows down too slow in turns for my tastes.

Snowmobileaddict

That's a beauty you found there!

Only cons (and none of them bother this 5xi owner) that I have heard of are:

-The rare nature of 5Xi-specific attachments that become available on craigslist or other sources.

-No diff lock

-No factory 3Pt or conventional rear PTO

-No on-board aux hydraulic spools.

The tractor is a tank and I'm not sure I've heard a real negative review.  Attachments come up now and then, just be patient. 

• Like 1

elliot ness

Great find. Looks new.:greetings-clappingyellow:

slammer302

I don't think i can say a bad thing about the xi when it comes to mowing sum will say the automatic slow down is a con but i don't mind it they are pretty big so its nice that they slow down when in tight places

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
19 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

I don't think i can say a bad thing about the xi when it comes to mowing sum will say the automatic slow down is a con but i don't mind it they are pretty big so its nice that they slow down when in tight places

I like it, I just wish the speed were adjustable.

slammer302

I agree WNYPCRepair 

I often wonder how the 520xi compares to the 522xi theirs been a pretty nice 520xi for sale on the local CL for 950$ that i keep catching myself looking at

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck, looks clean and sweet. It's funny, I had the bagger attachment to, it was busted, the piece that attaches to the deck. I couldn't find anyone that wanted it so I tossed it in the dump. Anyway, I really like my xi, over time I have gathered a few attachments. Best of luck with it.

Glenn

How many hours on it please? I forgot to ask. Lol

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, slammer302 said:

I agree WNYPCRepair 

I often wonder how the 520xi compares to the 522xi theirs been a pretty nice 520xi for sale on the local CL for 950$ that i keep catching myself looking at

I could be wrong, but other than HP, the only other difference I am aware of is power steering was optional

My New Holland doesn't have PS either, I am looking into adding it. If I do, I'll probably use it for the front end loader instead of the 522xi

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Awfully nice machines!  I love my Classics, but the xi is a few notches up.  Some don't but I do really like the "Smart Steer".  Set the cruise and just steer and it slows down in the turn all by itself!

Edited by DennisThornton
So became Some
  • Like 2

wh500special
20 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I agree WNYPCRepair 

I've been watching that one too.  Been on there a long time so maybe he'd negotiate with you.   Notice the grille looks to be gone.  Prob the plastic bumper too...

steve

• Like 1

1978c81

20160312_160047.jpg

• Like 4

WNYPCRepair

There is one in the Facebook group in Elverson IN for $550 OBO. Has no decals at all, so I assume it has at least been repainted, but the price is right

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

I got nothing against a 'zero turn',  but I don't think you can hook a snowblower or a plow to it.   But that's just me. B)

WNYPCRepair
3 minutes ago, Retired Sparky said:

I got nothing against a 'zero turn',  but I don't think you can hook a snowblower or a plow to it.   But that's just me. B)

Zero turn? What do you mean?

• Like 2

1978c81

I'm debating getting rid of my zero turn and use this to mow 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 minute ago, 1978c81 said:

I'm debating getting rid of my zero turn and use this to mow 

Ah, I missed that part of your post. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

my baby..I mow with this...522xi....

had the rear bagger..its gone now..and the counter weight is off the cutting deck to. I have the snowblower. its never been mounted. I also have the blade. thats been used two or three times. but not by me. If you find attachments..grab them.  Patience..keep looking..you will find stuff. Its probably my favorite machine.

big. comfortable. powerfull. cozy..

Glenn

20140406_162702.jpg

20140606_202915.jpg

20140806_091246.jpg

20140406_162830.jpg

20140406_163633.jpg

20150214_143020.jpg

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair
7 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

and the counter weight is off the cutting deck to

So that is what the black thing on the left of the deck was. :)

I wish my attachments were as nice as yours, everything looks brand new. Hopefully I can find time to redo mine this summer. Without heat in my garage I quickly figured out I wasn't going to get much done in the winter.

And I agree, the xi is definitely my favorite. I may end up selling all my classic horses, I just don't have the room, and I don't see a barn in my future any time soon.

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 2

slammer302

I'm with Glenn! I'd rather be mowing with one of these sweet machines instead of being beat to death on a ruff riding zero turn.

IMG_20151120_124512386.jpg

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I've never seen anyone post "I picked up this 5**xi and I hate it". :) 

• Like 5

Retired Sparky
21 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

my baby..I mow with this...522xi....

had the rear bagger..its gone now..and the counter weight is off the cutting deck to. I have the snowblower. its never been mounted. I also have the blade. thats been used two or three times. but not by me. If you find attachments..grab them.  Patience..keep looking..you will find stuff. Its probably my favorite machine.

big. comfortable. powerfull. cozy..

Glenn

20140406_162702.jpg

20140606_202915.jpg

20140806_091246.jpg

20140406_162830.jpg

20140406_163633.jpg

20150214_143020.jpg

I dig those rear treads.:lol:  Do I see a New Mexico state plate on the back wall???????????