Docwheelhorse

Why MTD "Walmart Tractors" are made and sold

Rob.A.700

Its is the same way in the automotive industry almost nothing is "serviceable" on cars/ trucks anymore...

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think part of it is that our parents who lived during the depression and we baby boomers were brought up to fix things , keep equipment in good working order and to value a dollar. Then as baby boomers became more prosperous we failed to pass some of the values along to our children. As each generation grew older we tried to give a better life to our children. 

Today things happen so fast ( internet , scientific discoveries , the world getting smaller by the minute) that our brains and values can not keep up and we just say the heck with it and throw our hands in the air. :twocents-02cents:    

• Like 3

squonk
On 3/9/2016 at 8:20 PM, DennisThornton said:

I keep staring at the hub, axle and 5 pounds of used welding rod.  I'll think of something clever to say, soon, sometime, maybe,,,

Do it yourself wheel weights! :lol:

18 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I own an RV so I've got a lot of experience repairing things! :wacko:

Now that's funny right there! :) also true! 

10 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Well Dennis I have never had rhubarb pie, but I wonder have to ever eat fried hog chitterlings ?

I'll have some at the show. I'll save you a piece! 497109581avatar.gif.aac2df4971c98ce79108

• Like 5

857 horse
8 hours ago, lynnmor said:

This thread explains why Wheel Horse went belly up.  The disposa-tractors are just fine for the masses because they will ruin them just the same as a real tractor.  Those of us that appreciate and care for things mechanical, are a dying breed.

Lynnmor......after reading all added comments......you just had to add the comment that caught my eye,,,,((however all the posts before this one are true))

Our Generation thinks a cup holder was Hot stuff and still is,,,,,I have seen a young gen fellah  sitting on a running rider,,,,stairing down at a cell phone.....

What you said was............a dying breed..     and we cant stop it,,,       (sigh)

• Like 4

AMC RULES
13 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

...we just say the heck with it and throw our hands in the air. :twocents-02cents:   

:text-yeahthat:  Yep, just means...

more :wh: for me.  :text-woo: 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 5

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Do it yourself wheel weights! :lol:

I'll have some at the show. I'll save you a piece! 497109581avatar.gif.aac2df4971c98ce79108

Helped butcher several hogs and while my grandparents were mostly self-sufficient and very frugal they had to feed the dogs something!  :ROTF:

• Like 2

TDF5G
5 hours ago, squonk said:

I've heard it said that if you want something to work on, buy an RV or a boat.  

5 hours ago, squonk said:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Flatheadpete
19 hours ago, Rob.A.700 said:

Its is the same way in the automotive industry almost nothing is "serviceable" on cars/ trucks anymore...

Hey!  That's how I make my living....selling parts for late-model GM vehicles.  I'm glad they build garbage.  Let's me take care of my family, live in a pretty awesome house and have my toys!

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:roll:  Geez...that doesn't sound good at all. 

953 nut
14 hours ago, squonk said:

I'll have some at the show. I'll save you a piece!

Me too, me too.

Wheelin'theSky

This rant has morphed into several different subjects. Great conversations though.

It's a shame that a company that built a good product that lasts (Wheel Horse), ultimately may have been a victim of it's quality.

New homeowner models out of the big box stores all have cheap plastic hoods. Won't rust, but won't last either, especially out in the sun.

But they want you back every few years to REPLACE that machine. When price is the deciding factor, you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

There are several reasons why many people do not "fix" things anymore, mainly because they have become too complicated.

That's the beauty of older engines. Simple, fixable.

Sure, older engines may not be ecologically optimal, but if you don't have to throw it out, there's more room in the landfills, right?

• Like 2

can whlvr

its funny though,my neighbor has a canadiana lawn tractor,its over 20 years old and still cuts grass well,he doesn't service it much either,its probally only had 3 oil changes in 20 years,ya it only cuts grass but he has at least an acre,and its all hills,go figure

JAinVA

There is one thing that gives me hope about the future.I have noticed the large number of members in the birthday list that are relatively young.

I for one am happy to help the younger folks along.People older than me taught me and now is my turn.I'm sure a number of you feel the same way.My 27 year old son has driven all of my tractors and he wasn't even a thought when they were decades old.Its up to us to pass on the torch.

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

• Like 3

roadapples

I always agreed you only get what you pay for. But if you don`t have to have it today you can still find good Wheel Horses for a few hundred bucks. And that`s a steal....

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, mmmmmdonuts said:

Another thing that is readily different now is the complexity miniaturization of things for a variety of reasons, such as EPA regulations (that the single cylinder Kohler's certainly did not have) and various different safety features such as a safety seat which my Raider does not have. I think lawyer's have gone a long way to making sure companies don't have people work on their things anymore for fear of getting sued. 

I work in the electronics industry and the last 5-10 years are amazing how small circuit boards have become and how they have been integrated into everything. With that being said, I still opt for as few electronics features as possible in 95% of the things I buy, because the first thing to go is the electronics on most things as I see everyday at my job. 

Maybe that's why I enjoy the simple things such as working on my WH or repairing/restoring other old equipment because you can and it will work vastly better than anything made today for the most part. 

mdonuts. I have some very old turntables in cabinets. Can I bring them over. I miss my 45`s.

• Like 1

HokieAg07
11 hours ago, JAinVA said:

There is one thing that gives me hope about the future.I have noticed the large number of members in the birthday list that are relatively young.

I for one am happy to help the younger folks along.People older than me taught me and now is my turn.I'm sure a number of you feel the same way.My 27 year old son has driven all of my tractors and he wasn't even a thought when they were decades old.Its up to us to pass on the torch.

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

So true Jim, I am only 30 myself, and am happy to carry the torch!!

• Like 3

can whlvr

that's a good reason for us older guys to restore these old tractors,so younger people will have them in the future and they will be near new condition still

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
19 hours ago, roadapples said:

I always agreed you only get what you pay for. But if you don`t have to have it today you can still find good Wheel Horses for a few hundred bucks. And that`s a steal....

Roadapples  Point me in the directions of the couple of hundred bucks :wh: .PLEASE

• Like 2

roadapples

I`ve got eight and the only one I`ve paid more than $400 for is the one with the loader...

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

All I can said you must have a Shamrock in your wallet. Look our for Virginia Horse Thief in your area.

roadapples

We`ll be watching ! Seriously I`ve seen some good deals at the big show. I bought a C160 auto. with 42in. deck and a parts tractor for $350 three years ago. The engine wasn`t original,  it was a newer 16 magnum. Been mowing with it ever since.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

That's good to know ,if I don't find another tractor before the show ,I am hoping to have some luck there. Of course the last time I got lucky was Dec. of 1993 when I got rid of the first wife ( also know as Wicked Witch of the West ) 

• Like 4

ACman

I purchased a mtd ranch king make 18 hp 46" cut hydro back in 1996 got to say I got my money's worth out off that one . Only thing I had  to replace was belt and blades  . Gave a super great cut even in tall wet grass . Still use it with the bagger for clean ups . I always keep it greased , oiled , and kept out of the weather . I consider my self lucky , but I took care of it .

Before my accident I was in the HVAC trade . When replacing some old 30-40 year old furnaces the home owners  would ask me if the new furnace will last that long . Then I break the news to them that the new one might last 15 if your lucky and thats why that old furnace company is out off business now cause it was made to last . It's sad to make a good product then to go out of business because you don't sell parts because it's made so well .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

Digger 66
On 3/9/2016 at 7:18 PM, Docwheelhorse said:

Pic 2 is the absolute height of lazy... Okay--I'll give the guy credit for greasing the machine... but once again--ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There wasn't a rag available to wipe off the extra?? :huh:

1373.JPG

Look at the bright side ..... It aint RUSTY :ychain:

• Like 2

RedRanger
On 3/12/2016 at 4:47 AM, Digger 66 said:

Look at the bright side ..... It aint RUSTY :ychain:

My thoughts exactly.  I'd like to buy all of my old tractors with that much grease on them.

• Like 1